The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gearslutz - Nominations for - Favourite Microphone Preamp over $2500?
Old 28th May 2016
News Desk Editor

Gearslutz - Nominations for - Favourite Microphone Preamp over $2500?

Nomination stage

How many Gearslutz threads start with this question? Love it or roll your eyes at it, it comes up all the time.

While we probably all realize that there is no single ‘magic bullet’ for every recording and production challenge, there are certainly pieces of gear that seem to come up in discussion a little more often than others.

One of the great things about Gearslutz is that we have a very diverse cross-section of experiences in order to draw suggestions from to answer this question. With that in mind, and considering a wide-range of budgets, we are launching the Gearslutz Community Choice Awards.

We want YOU to tell us what your favourite bits and pieces around your studio are - what your personal ‘bests’ are - and we will devise some "Top-10" lists from it (with information to accompany) - so that we can help give people with that age-old ‘what is the best’ question a little nudge in the right direction.

We have trawled the archive to come up with some suggestions already, this is entirely based on what has been posted in the past - but if we’ve missed anything, feel free to write in your suggestion.

In this thread we'll ask for your favourite Microphone Preamp
over $2500 US Dollars and currently in production.

To be clear we are gathering nominations for OUTBOARD mic pre products (not built in console mic preamps)

Simply type in your favourite and post!

Note: the nominations stage will run for 30 days. Once this ends we will compile the results and make a poll. Please nominate today! Thanks very much in advance for helping out!

PS: Check out our previous buyer's guides and participate in more nomination threads!

Old 28th May 2016
Start nominating!
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Aurora gtq-2
Old 28th May 2016
Oh, naturally one other thing, ...

AMS Neve 1073DPA Stereo Mic Preamp

R.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Portico II Channel
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Gordon 5
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Addict

Aurora Audio GTQC. Just makes everything.......better.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Mercury M76m. I'll have to nominate the single channel since the stereo one is like $300 over our cap, lol...
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Greg Hanks BA660.

I use it more than my vintage Neves or RCA units. Under $5k if you get one without the AD option (I think). Or find a demo or used one if you must! If I had to sell off everything, these would be the last to go.
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Addict

If I were to say preamp only without combo units; NPNG.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

DW fearn Vt1
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Fearn VT-2
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Gordon 5
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Harrison Consoles mic Pre
Old 29th May 2016
Solid state:
Aurora audio gtq2

Tube:
Fearn vt 1
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Gordon Model 5
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Api 3124+. Every mic sounds good and balanced through it and its color is not overwhelming. It creates a lot of space for whatever number of channels you want plus it can create a perfect glued mix with just three instruments. Rare if you ask me.
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Tube: D.W. Fearn VT-2 and solid state: ADT V776.
Old 29th May 2016
Gordon Model 5
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Nut

I hadn't heard of the Gordon preamp until this thread. Took a look at their website and thought...they should have put more effort into the looks of this thing...it looks like a laboratory instrument and lord knows how much most musicians hated school.
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPaul View Post
I hadn't heard of the Gordon preamp until this thread. Took a look at their website and thought...they should have put more effort into the looks of this thing...it looks like a laboratory instrument and lord knows how much most musicians hated school.
I'd agree Gordon is no looker.

But beauty is only skin deep.

And it won't give you stellar fidelity.

Have you looked under the hood of this one?

But yes, those who want to impress clients upon entry of the studio need to look elsewhere.

Last edited by legato; 29th May 2016 at 07:12 PM..
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

My favorites have already been mentioned. If I can repeat just one of them it would be NPNG
Old 29th May 2016
Thanks everyone for the nominations.

We have taken your feedback into consideration so on this thread you can nominate preamps above $2500.

Those who nominated preamps below $2500 can find their posts here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ub-2500-a.html

Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused and thanks once again for all the input, we really appreciate it.

Now back to the nominations!

Old 30th May 2016
Great River Electronics MEQ-1NV
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Rens Heijnis Custom Built

Gordon Model 5

Schoeps VSR-5

Jensen Twin Servo 2 channel "Sony Classical Edition"

EAR 824
Old 30th May 2016
High End Moderator

Chandler Limited REDD.47
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Mosaic preamp, BA660, or EAR 824. Can't beat any of those in my mind.
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Retro OP-6 [For character]

[ON Clean going to a digital daw - my view is a high quality pre-amp integrated with audio A/D at 96k beats all of the above pure analog pre-amps ... but I guess those aren't allowed in this voting]
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

If only one, NPNG.
Old 30th May 2016
Prices should also be listed. I suspect some of these are not $2500 like Harrison console preamps?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search