The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gearslutz - Nominations for - Favourite Microphone Preamp over $2500?
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Please forgive me if anything slipped by, please chime-in and remind me if anything is missing and I'll update the list.
The Pueblo was mentioned above your post.
Old 21st June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
The Pueblo was mentioned above your post.
for me!

My bad mate, skipped a row - sorry about that! Which model would you like to nominate?

Thanks for the heads-up!

UPDATE: The Pueblo Audio JR-4 was mentioned in our sub $2.5k thread, does any of the Pueblo Audio preamps sells for over 2.5k? Thanks once again!
Old 21st June 2016
D.w Fearn
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
for me!

My bad mate, skipped a row - sorry about that! Which model would you like to nominate?

Thanks for the heads-up!

UPDATE: The Pueblo Audio JR-4 was mentioned in our sub $2.5k thread, does any of the Pueblo Audio preamps sells for over 2.5k? Thanks once again!
It's effectively $2.5k with the mandatory power supply. Add another $1k for the phantom power module.

It, somewhat like the Gordon, is a component system, and the power supply will power up to four modules of any combination between the 4 channel DC coupled unit, the phantom power unit, and the two channel DC/w/phantom unit.

By the way, I'm just relaying information. I have never used or heard a Pueblo--would love to though.
Old 21st June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
It's effectively $2.5k with the mandatory power supply. Add another $1k for the phantom power module.

It, somewhat like the Gordon, is a component system, and the power supply will power up to four modules of any combination between the 4 channel DC coupled unit, the phantom power unit, and the two channel DC/w/phantom unit.

By the way, I'm just relaying information. I have never used or heard a Pueblo--would love to though.
Interesting stuff - thanks for the heads up. Did some research on their website, our nominee for the over $2.5k vote would be their "Preamp System" consisting of the JR4 Pre, P4 phantom power module and the PS34 PSU.

I'll leave the JR2/2 Stereo Preamp/Phantom Combo + PS34 PSU on the sub $2.5k list.

Thanks once again - always learning a new thing!

Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Edwards Audio LE-10
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting stuff - thanks for the heads up. Did some research on their website, our nominee for the over $2.5k vote would be their "Preamp System" consisting of the JR4 Pre, P4 phantom power module and the PS34 PSU.

I'll leave the JR2/2 Stereo Preamp/Phantom Combo + PS34 PSU on the sub $2.5k list.

Thanks once again - always learning a new thing!

I know there are very few single channel mic preamps that are >=$2.5k and a lot of mic pres you can only get as 2 channel minimum or as pseudo-channel strips (Neve 1073, etc.) but isn't it getting a little ridiculous to go to 4 channel preamps if you can get the exact same thing at a smaller channel count? Does this open it up to 8 channel racks, etc just to meet the dollar threshold?

If there is a poll, there should definitely be a price/channel to separate the financially high-end from those that aren't.
Old 22nd June 2016
Here for the gear

Retro OP-6
Old 22nd June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
I know there are very few single channel mic preamps that are >=$2.5k and a lot of mic pres you can only get as 2 channel minimum or as pseudo-channel strips (Neve 1073, etc.) but isn't it getting a little ridiculous to go to 4 channel preamps if you can get the exact same thing at a smaller channel count? Does this open it up to 8 channel racks, etc just to meet the dollar threshold?

If there is a poll, there should definitely be a price/channel to separate the financially high-end from those that aren't.
Agreed on all your points - we take that into consideration and there will be more polls/nominations in that regard. BTW, my own personal favorite (API 3124) falls into those lines - per channel it's sub 2.5k but it's MSRP it's over 2.5k.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yep.

Price per channel is the only truly realistic way to appraise this stuff.

It's like ICEs: horsepower per liter is where the real measure is at.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Edwards Audio LE-10
Completely new to me.

Looked it up.

Interesting.

Can you expand on this? Thoughts on where--or how--it sits next to similarly specified pres?
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I see your point, and that analysis would be interesting. But assigning a per-channel value is not so straight forward. Economists probably have known how to value index a scalable commodity for eons, but I don't know. Maybe a reader here does. For example, which is the "correct" value in the following two scenarios (same preamp design and manufacturer)...

A 2ch Pueblo micpre system [PS34+JR2/2] is $1099 per channel.

…however…

A 16ch Pueblo micpre system [PS34+4xJR4] is only $465 per channel!

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 22nd June 2016 at 07:42 PM..
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Excellent analysis!

I don't think enough attention gets paid to the idea of value. We tend to look at absolute cost as a metric for evaluating gear while failing to look at a piece of gear in the larger context of performance per dollar relative to its competition. That's the tough part: specifically defining something's relative value.

Add scalability, and lots of reference points become pretty slippery.

That's why--to go back to my previous automotive reference--engineers speak in terms of specific power, not absolute power.

But, these threads are fun I guess, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
I see your point, and that analysis would be interesting. But assigning a per-channel value is not so straight forward. Economists probably have known how to value index a scalable commodity for eons, but I don't know. Maybe a reader here does. For example, what's the "correct" value in the following two scenarios (even with the same make and model preamp)...

A 2ch Pueblo micpre system [PS34+JR2/2] is $1099 per channel.

…however…

A 16ch Pueblo micpre system [PS34+4xJR4] is only $465 per channel!
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

...Rostec LMA8...
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Nut

D.W Fearn Vt-1
Old 28th June 2016
Last 12 hours before we close this one!
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

tab funkenwerk v72S
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

RND Portico II channel
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

No chandler redd.47?
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
No chandler redd.47?
Based on the $2.5k price point, doesn't qualify. It's only $2.3k.

(this is where the per channel pricing is going to make this poll weird.)
Old 29th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
No chandler redd.47?
Quote:
Based on the $2.5k price point, doesn't qualify. It's only $2.3k.

(this is where the per channel pricing is going to make this poll weird.)
The Redd.47 is on our "best preamp under $2.5k" voting thread - please check out it and cast your vote!

On the "price per channel" subject: I fully agree that it's a very relevant issue and one that will be considered, I can assure everyone about that and we're planning more nominations/voting threads so that will certainly be addressed.

Thanks everyone for the contributions, see you on the voting phase!

PS: all our current and past nominations/voting threads can be found here.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search