The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cleanest Single Channel Preamp
Old 27th May 2016
Here for the gear
Cleanest Single Channel Preamp

What preamp would have a single channel, provide the cleanest sound (pure, unaltered, etc.), and not have many other functions?
Old 27th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary99 View Post
What preamp would have a single channel, provide the cleanest sound (pure, unaltered, etc.), and not have many other functions?
I believe you should have a look into Grace mic preamplifiers for this purpose.
There are of course others but Grace's usually recommended for clean.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear
MIC preamplifier you mean?? if so I guess I would say Earthworks, GML, Millennia and EAR/DeParavicini would be ones to look at...
Old 27th May 2016
Old 27th May 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Gary, there are "clean" preamps, and then there are "transparent" preamps. Transparent will often be transformerless, very fast, and have high resolution. This can prove excellent, especially when recording in great acoustic spaces. But it can also have a downside, in that they capture a lot more.

What are you recording? What kind of space/s? How are the acoustics?

Here's a micpreamp graph reference...

Pro Studio Reviews - Mic Preamp Graph
Old 27th May 2016
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary99 View Post
Microtech Gefell AP-1
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

There are a surprisingly large variety of "clean" preamp sounds. Which one you are looking for is largely a matter of taste. One man's "transparent" is another man's "hard-sounding." For water-clear clarity and purity of signal I really like the Jim Williams high-speed transformerless mic pres. In my opinion, this will not give you any added richness, smoothness, vibe, transient compression or punchiness. Just that source on that mic in that room. However, just as with highly colored mic pres, if you put 5 engineers in a room to listen to clean preamps you will get 6 opinions as to which one sounds the "best." Good luck with your quest finding the best clean preamp for your own purposes.
Old 28th May 2016
Since I got my Forsell smp500 my quest for a clean preamp is over.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

A lot are two channel but:
Gordon Audio Model 4
Martech MSS-10
GML 8302 (dual channel) or as a single mic strip 2032
Millennia Audio HV pres (only 2 channel and higher though there is the 500 series as a single)

Top to bottom that'd be my selection order for cleanest.
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Addict

I have not used most of what has been mentioned here, so I cannot compare. For me, Dan Lavry's preamps, which are transformer-less, have been the most "invisible" mic amps I have experienced. They are my absolute favorite for diffuse sound and a lot of stereo applications. That light, transformer-less sound is perfect for scenarios where a source needs to be clear, yet stay in its place.

The one "clean" micpre I don't ever want to be without is my NPNG. A sort of enhanced clarity I've heard nowhere else. Not the most invisible of clean mic amps, as it does impart a subtle size and glow upon source material.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why you want the absolute cleanest possible preamp? In my experience, the room itself will contribute more to your sound than a preamplifier. If you have the cleanest possible room sound going for you, I am envious.
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Not to thread-jack, but I wonder how the Merging Horus/Hapi preamps would rate on the transparency scale.
Old 30th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
Just out of curiosity, I wonder why you want the absolute cleanest possible preamp?
Because some artists deserve the truth. They are too good to be limited or colored.
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Nut

Doesn't meet your requirement of single channel but...

DACS Clarity MicAmp
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear
If anyone is interested in a DACS Clarity 2, I'll be putting one up for sale in a few days. I'll put it on Reverb and in the Classifieds on GS.
Old 22nd November 2019
Look at the Gordon.
Old 22nd November 2019
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun View Post
I believe you should have a look into Grace mic preamplifiers for this purpose.
There are of course others but Grace's usually recommended for clean.
Yep I really like mine. Used it on a new release, sounds great on vocals.
📝 Reply