The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 Low Down?
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

U87 Low Down?

I recently did a vocal overdub with an early 70's U87 and have decided I'm gonna have to add one to the collection

Unfortunatley my friend who lent it to me won't sell it to me (even though he rarely uses it). He said they are still being made and to buy a new one. I know the consensus is that new Neumann isn't quite up to par as compared with the older models they continue to make or reissue.

So, I'm looking for a vintage U87. Are there any particular ones I should look out for (good or bad)? When I eventually get one, is there any maintance I should have performed to make sure it's functioning tip top? The reason I ask is, the one I was lent is pristine due to it seeing minimum use in the past 35 years.

Thoughts and advice are always welcomed.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

they're very common. you don't want the 87ai--that's the reissue/new model/doesn't sound as good. as far as maintenance, the mic shouldn't requre one. it should work great, and sound great, and if you're looking at a mic that doesn't, simply pass on it. there are many more to be found.

it's a great mic, you won't be sorry you buy it.

--jon
Old 9th February 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

I never quite got the haterz of the 87i. I've had several oppotunities to A/B it right up against an 87ai and the 87i will always get the vocal duty (thats all I've A/B them for) in the A/B. It definitely doesn't have the output of the ai and is a bit noiser but I think the fact that you have to goose it more from the pre, is part of what makes it sound cool: you get to hear more of your pre's characteristics.

I've seen some beauties used, and some banged up dogs but there's a ton of them out there so if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find one.

On another note, does anyone know of any replacement cases for 87's? I have the leather case, and the foam on the lid side is TOTALLY deteriorated and unuseable, and right now, I have to wrap my mic up in cellophane to keep the foam particles off of it. I really need to get it replaced, or I was even thinking about going to an upholstery place to replace the foam and felt.
Old 10th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
On another note, does anyone know of any replacement cases for 87's? I have the leather case, and the foam on the lid side is TOTALLY deteriorated and unuseable, and right now, I have to wrap my mic up in cellophane to keep the foam particles off of it. I really need to get it replaced, or I was even thinking about going to an upholstery place to replace the foam and felt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microphone-Stora...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10th February 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Ah, thanks for the link, TT
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBender67 View Post
I recently did a vocal overdub with an early 70's U87 and have decided I'm gonna have to add one to the collection

Unfortunatley my friend who lent it to me won't sell it to me (even though he rarely uses it). He said they are still being made and to buy a new one. I know the consensus is that new Neumann isn't quite up to par as compared with the older models they continue to make or reissue.

So, I'm looking for a vintage U87. Are there any particular ones I should look out for (good or bad)? When I eventually get one, is there any maintance I should have performed to make sure it's functioning tip top? The reason I ask is, the one I was lent is pristine due to it seeing minimum use in the past 35 years.

Thoughts and advice are always welcomed.

I agree! I've used lots of top flight mics, and ended up buying an older 87 for vocals, and its great -- i got it from vintage king -- korby went through it before the sale, and it really does sound great - better than most 87's i've used -- in general i haven't been an 87 lover for vocals, but...

have fun...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search