The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony 8x8 Monitoring connections Studio Monitors
Old 26th May 2016
Here for the gear

Apogee Symphony 8x8 Monitoring connections

Hi all - long time caller, first time listener. Looking for a dummy check - I'm trying to figure out the most elegant way to interface get my monitors connected to my symphony. The io is currently db25-db25'd to a db25 patchbay and I've been doing all my monitoring through the headphone amp. Moving tomorrow and finally have space for my dynaudios to be set up. I don't have a monitor station and don't want to buy one - what's the most elegant way to get signal to the mains (preferably not patching on the front)?

The only solution I'm coming up with is rearranging the normals and having a snake come out to the mains, or some slight ghetto-rigging and doing TT to XLRM. Similarly, I've got an extra db25 to 1/4" trs that I could rig up and patch the outputs of PT to two lines that feed the speakers.
Old 26th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd tell you to get a custom DB25 snake made that has DB25 on one end and a DB25 and two XLR Male on the other end, but with only 6 channels terminated to the dsub.

I don't recommend having your monitors anywhere on the patchbay unless you like blown tweeters.
Old 26th May 2016
Here for the gear

That's definitely a better solution that I'll have to put off for a little while just to ease the wallet. Long term, way better. For the time being, it's just me using the rig so I can probably avoid pulling the patches while the speakers are live for a few months.
Old 26th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohdude View Post
That's definitely a better solution that I'll have to put off for a little while just to ease the wallet. Long term, way better. For the time being, it's just me using the rig so I can probably avoid pulling the patches while the speakers are live for a few months.
It shouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing $120-$150.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Is this to switch monitors? If so, this is what I use

Coleman Audio LS3 Line Selector | Sweetwater.com
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post

How are you liking the LS3? Have a new Symphony mk2 coming and was thinking of putting this in between my monitors and the Symphony.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
How are you liking the LS3? Have a new Symphony mk2 coming and was thinking of putting this in between my monitors and the Symphony.
**** im thinking of picking one of these up to route komplete and my system 8 to my MPC record ins!
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:

The Symphony can have up to 3 sets of monitors connected..he's looking for the best way to rewire the d-Sub.

Easiest way would be to get d-sub to male XLR then female XLR-> d-sub.

Then you just connect or disconnect the channels you want.

Unlike getting a custom loom, it means you can add monitors if necessary.

Only downside is that you then have unused spaces on your patch.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Just carefully cut into your db25 to db25 snake. Snip the cables for channels 1 and 2 and solder xlr's.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Its great... REally transparent and allows quick testing of mixes.. Really good stuff definitely
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its great... REally transparent and allows quick testing of mixes.. Really good stuff definitely
That's awesome man, thank you. Happy to hear there's no coloration.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohdude View Post
I don't have a monitor station and don't want to buy one - what's the most elegant way to get signal to the mains (preferably not patching on the front)?
Having an external monitor controller is always the most elegant solution, IMHO.

Otherwise you just use a DSUB-XLR-M snake and attach the monitors to XLR's and use the M2 Software control functionality. Which is pretty cool.

Apogee now has a new remote unit that controls the monitoring parameters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search