The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Searching for 80s dance pop engineer / studio in NYC Studio Monitors
Old 26th May 2016
Gear Head

Searching for 80s dance pop engineer / studio in NYC

Hey everyone, I tried posting this on another section but it may have been the wrong place.

I'm planning my next album, and would like to find out if there are any engineers / studios here in NYC that have expertise in 80s-style dance pop. The type of stuff I'm talking about is:

• Madonna - Open Your Heart (and much of True Blue)
• George Michael - Monkey, I Want Your Sex
• Janet Jackson - Escapade, Love Will Never Do
• Pretty Poison - Catch Me I'm Falling
• Amy Grant - Baby Baby

Along with slower fare like:

• Madonna - Live To Tell
• The Cars - Drive

I do realize that, technically, I could cut stuff like this anywhere. I would just prefer not to be the only expert in the room (especially since I am most certainly not an expert). So if there are any engineers / studios in the Big Apple that have experience with this sort of thing and / or just intuitively "get" it, I'd like to meet them. Who can really hit this out of the park?

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

I think I may be able to help you with your project as I'm a big fan of the 80's sensibility as well as dance and synth music in general. You can contact me via my website here:

Alex Sterling

Thank you,
Alex
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Shep Pettibone was the 80's Remix Engineer who remixed the tracks from A - to - Z of the Top charting Songs, he literally took the Master Tapes, dumped the Vocals and best parts, then recreated and redrafted them into those 1980's Dance Tracks you'd hear in most Clubs, he used to work on A. points or B. Upfront payment, though it was always pretty assured he could take an Artists Track from the Single/Album version and kick start the Track into a totally different gear! IIRC Shep worked out of "Skyline Studios" which is now the "Jungle Room" in NYC. In the Ten years he remixed Tracks, I'm pretty sure he was at the Top of his game both Technology wise and in re-crafting the obvious into the New etc. Plenty of others as well whom were in certain camps though Shep Pettibone stands out!
Old 29th May 2016
Arther Baker was the guy back then in NYC. He did remixes for me too.
Old 30th May 2016
I've done a fair amount of remixes including records for Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez.
Old 30th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
Hi,

I think I may be able to help you with your project as I'm a big fan of the 80's sensibility as well as dance and synth music in general. You can contact me via my website here:

Alex Sterling

Thank you,
Alex
Hey Alex, how's the Duality working out? I'm the guy who took the a820 with Bernie. So far it's still not working. The 5v supply was no good.
Old 31st May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyShameless View Post
Hey everyone, I tried posting this on another section but it may have been the wrong place.

I'm planning my next album, and would like to find out if there are any engineers / studios here in NYC that have expertise in 80s-style dance pop. The type of stuff I'm talking about is:

• Madonna - Open Your Heart (and much of True Blue)
• George Michael - Monkey, I Want Your Sex
• Janet Jackson - Escapade, Love Will Never Do
• Pretty Poison - Catch Me I'm Falling
• Amy Grant - Baby Baby

Along with slower fare like:

• Madonna - Live To Tell
• The Cars - Drive

I do realize that, technically, I could cut stuff like this anywhere. I would just prefer not to be the only expert in the room (especially since I am most certainly not an expert). So if there are any engineers / studios in the Big Apple that have experience with this sort of thing and / or just intuitively "get" it, I'd like to meet them. Who can really hit this out of the park?

Thanks!
I'm not a dance music fan (80's or otherwise) but I have worked in the genre and know how to get the sounds. Are you looking to work with real drums, bass, guitar, etc. or using synths/samples/loops only? I have a rare Oberheim TV-1 analog synth (pre-MIDI) and a Korg Triton.
Old 31st May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Arther Baker was the guy back then in NYC. He did remixes for me too.
I was going to mention Arthur Baker. There was a time when getting an Arthur Baker 12" remix meant your song was big! {planet rock, hall and oates, springsteen, new order, new edition, IOUetc..] Lot's of stutter edits and extended sections copying multitracks and syncing a drum machine and using fairlights and emu's. He was big at Tommy Boy worked with Jellybean B., and used Tom and Chris Lord Algae all the time [The Kings of Unique Studios!] and even worked with Clearmountain [springsteen and hall & oates].

Best-
Jonathan
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was going to mention Arthur Baker. There was a time when getting an Arthur Baker 12" remix meant your song was big! {planet rock, hall and oates, springsteen, new order, new edition, IOUetc..] Lot's of stutter edits and extended sections copying multitracks and syncing a drum machine and using fairlights and emu's. He was big at Tommy Boy worked with Jellybean B., and used Tom and Chris Lord Algae all the time [The Kings of Unique Studios!] and even worked with Clearmountain [springsteen and hall & oates].

Best-
Jonathan
Indeed, AMS, Eventide, Lexicon, Publison, Synclavier, Fairlight, and 10-20 Synths and Drum machines alongside a huge Dynamics and Outboaed rack, Neve VR60 or SL4000 LFAC and a few Sony 3324/A's or a 3348 and Studer A800MKII with Lynx locking everything together and Viola! Just about everything you can now buy in a DAW for $200 bucks! Shame huh! The one thing required......skill, you simply can't buy that nor Download it!

Thank goodness for that!
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Head

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in so far!
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Indeed, AMS, Eventide, Lexicon, Publison, Synclavier, Fairlight, and 10-20 Synths and Drum machines alongside a huge Dynamics and Outboaed rack, Neve VR60 or SL4000 LFAC and a few Sony 3324/A's or a 3348 and Studer A800MKII with Lynx locking everything together and Viola! Just about everything you can now buy in a DAW for $200 bucks! Shame huh! The one thing required......skill, you simply can't buy that nor Download it!

Thank goodness for that!
I have to ask...where exactly can I get all of this magical goodness in one convenient package?
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTorch View Post
I'm not a dance music fan (80's or otherwise) but I have worked in the genre and know how to get the sounds. Are you looking to work with real drums, bass, guitar, etc. or using synths/samples/loops only? I have a rare Oberheim TV-1 analog synth (pre-MIDI) and a Korg Triton.
Hi!

I am looking to do this with all synths and drum machine samples. It may actually even wind up being synth emulators, since amassing and then experimenting with all of the actual originals doesn't seem feasible. I'd much prefer to pour that kind of money into exceptional mixing.
Old 2nd June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyShameless View Post
Hi!

I am looking to do this with all synths and drum machine samples. It may actually even wind up being synth emulators, since amassing and then experimenting with all of the actual originals doesn't seem feasible. I'd much prefer to pour that kind of money into exceptional mixing.
OK. About 80% of my work is synth or sample based, though usually hip-hop and R&B. I have hybrid setup and a Whisper Room iso booth for tracking vocals, guitar amps, solo horns, etc. For real drums I've worked with SweetSounds Studio in SoHo or the drummer will work remotely with a guide track and send me the tracks for further overdubbing in my place. If you want, I can send PM you a full gear list and other details.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search