The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I have a Hilo, will a Burl B2 AD make much of a difference? Digital Converters
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a Hilo, will a Burl B2 AD make much of a difference?

Hey Guys!

I currently have a Hilo for my conversion duties. I also have a Silver Bullet from Louder Than Liftoff for some mojo. I was just curious for anyone that works with Burl conversion, how much of a difference does it make? Would it be a dramatic difference from using a Hilo, just in terms of AD? I have read all these reviews about how it makes outboard worth using again, sounds like tape, etc., etc. But was just curious to hear the opinions of some real users out there. Any help or comments would be really appreciated as I am thinking of pulling the trigger soon.
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyocity View Post
Hey Guys!

I currently have a Hilo for my conversion duties. I also have a Silver Bullet from Louder Than Liftoff for some mojo. I was just curious for anyone that works with Burl conversion, how much of a difference does it make? Would it be a dramatic difference from using a Hilo, just in terms of AD? I have read all these reviews about how it makes outboard worth using again, sounds like tape, etc., etc. But was just curious to hear the opinions of some real users out there. Any help or comments would be really appreciated as I am thinking of pulling the trigger soon.
I have a Silver Bullet and I've had a Hilo and a Burl B2 AD. IMO the mojo of the Burl is greatly exaggerated. It is a beautiful, clean AD, very similar to the AD in the Hilo, but it has an input transformer which can be hit harder if you'd like to add a bit of transformer goodness. The Silver Bullet has lots of transformer goodness which can be used in subtle ways and in much less subtle ways than the transformer in the Burl.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think the Burl would add much to what you can do with the Silver Bullet in combination with the Hilo.
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I have a Silver Bullet and I've had a Hilo and a Burl B2 AD. IMO the mojo of the Burl is greatly exaggerated. It is a beautiful, clean AD, very similar to the AD in the Hilo, but it has an input transformer which can be hit harder if you'd like to add a bit of transformer goodness. The Silver Bullet has lots of transformer goodness which can be used in subtle ways and in much less subtle ways than the transformer in the Burl.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think the Burl would add much to what you can do with the Silver Bullet in combination with the Hilo.
Awesome thanks Les! What conversion are you using these days?
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Awesome thanks Les! What conversion are you using these days?
It's a bit of a long story. For the last few years I used an RME UFX as a USB interface, the Burl B2 as my primary AD, and the Dangerous Music Source as my monitoring DA.

The problem is, I'd like to be able to record up to 4 high-quality channels at a time. Also, I would like an analog loop for mixing (eg. for the Silver Bullet and my Foote PE3X compressor). So I would like another high-quality stereo DA and AD. Unfortunately, the UFX only has one digital in and out (ignoring ADAT).

A couple of years ago I was trying to replace the UFX with a Hilo, in combination with the Burl AD that would give me 4 ins and 4 outs of super high quality. Alas, I couldn't get the Hilo drivers to play nice with my then Win7 system, so I returned it. Please note that this was entirely my fault, I got sick during the 30-day trial and couldn't spend much time debugging and didn't have the time to get Lynx involved.

Then last year, the "SvartBox" came out, which is a very high quality DA - AD box. Svart is a gearslutz member, you can google svartbox if you're interested. I sold the Burl because I thought the SvartBox AD was at least as good, and the SvartBox DA is now my monitoring DA, which I felt was at least as good as the Source.

I would still like at least an additional DA and AD. I've decided that I'm going to simplify my setup, and I have high hopes for the (hopefully) soon-to-come Windows/USB version of the Metric Halo LIO-8. This would replace the UFX, the SvartBox, and the Source, and Metric Halo has a similar reputation to RME for it's drivers, although there might be some growing pains with their initial release of Windows drivers. Once the MH stuff is released, and given a chance to solve any new product issues, I'll give it a try.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

intresting thread !!
I have a UA 2192 and wonder if the BURL AD would make a noticeable improvment?
Thanks
Sergio
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
The problem is, I'd like to be able to record up to 4 high-quality channels at a time.
Yes.

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

I wrote a ranty post in the computer section last week about this--it was roundly ignored.

I want four AD in. No more. No less.

The Hilo hits just about every other note correctly. If it just had four AD, I would throw my money at Lynx. Throw it!

Quote:
...I have high hopes for the...USB version of the Metric Halo LIO-8.
I too have thought/hoped for the same thing, although my preference would be for Thunderbolt, although I'd settle for USB.

What I'd REALLY like is Dante, even though that protocol seems to be catering only to high track count uses thus far. But I think it's the true way forward. Having been doing this long enough to remember many SCSI chains (pre UW SCSI even), I've had it with formats changing every few years. FW is a dinosaur, and USB changes too quickly. Ethernet hasn't changed nearly as much.

Dante all the way.

Lynx? Metric Halo? You listening?
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
Yes.

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

I wrote a ranty post in the computer section last week about this--it was roundly ignored.

The Hilo hits just about every other note correctly. If it just had four AD, I would throw my money at Lynx. Throw it!

I too have thought/hoped for the same thing, although my preference would be for Thunderbolt, although I'd settle for USB.

What I'd REALLY like is Dante, even though that protocol seems to be catering only to high track count uses thus far. But I think it's the true way forward. Having been doing this long enough to remember many SCSI chains (pre UW SCSI even), I've had it with formats changing every few years. FW is a dinosaur, and USB changes too quickly. Ethernet hasn't changed nearly as much.

Dante all the way.

Well, at least the Hilo allows the addition of another stereo AD, giving you four AD in. The Antelope Pure2 doesn't allow this, you can use the built-in AD OR another AD, but not both at the same time. How stupid is that?

I'm OK with USB, USB 2 has been around for many years and most USB interfaces are USB 2. And USB 2 is more than enough unless you require massive amounts of I/O. Dante sounds promising though.
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
intresting thread !!
Thanks
Sergio
I've never had the opportunity to try a UA 2192. I'm sure you know that the 2192 was designed by the Burl guy, Rich Williams, so the Burl B2 is seen as kind of the next generation 2192. There are a lot of comparison threads you can look at.
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, at least the Hilo allows the addition of another stereo AD, giving you four AD in.
Do you mean via the addition of another AD device and using the ADAT or S/PDIF in on the Hilo?

If so, yes, I'm aware of that, and it is a decent workaround IF you have another stereo AD handy. I happen to have a Sound Devices USBPre2, so I could do that. I could also add something else small like the Mytek stereo AD, but it would just be nice to have one box that does it. For the room I'm outfitting, compactness and efficiency is key.

Anyway, I don't want to make the thread drift. I just appreciated hearing someone else articulate something I've been wishing for as well.

Cheers!
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you mean via the addition of another AD device and using the ADAT or S/PDIF in on the Hilo?

If so, yes, I'm aware of that, and it is a decent workaround IF you have another stereo AD handy. I happen to have a Sound Devices USBPre2, so I could do that. I could also add something else small like the Mytek stereo AD, but it would just be nice to have one box that does it. For the room I'm outfitting, compactness and efficiency is key.

Anyway, I don't want to make the thread drift. I just appreciated hearing someone else articulate something I've been wishing for as well.

Cheers!
I agree, an all-in-one box would be much more convenient. That's why I'm considering the Metric Halo LIO-8, which would replace 3 boxes for me and simplify operations, though 8 analog inputs is more than I really need. I guess an LIO-4 would be perfect, if MH would come out with such a box.
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

Dante all the way.

Check out the new Red 4 Pre from Focusrite. When it arrived, I didn't get he choice of 4 AD ins.
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Trying to keep the thread on track... haha. Any other Burl B2 users out there that have any thoughts on the quality? Thanks!
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Guys!

Hello,

By the way, are you really satisfied by your Silver Bullet ? REAL MOJO you found?
Thanks
Sergio
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

By the way, are you really satisfied by your Silver Bullet ? REAL MOJO you found?
Thanks
Sergio
It's incredible!
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

I really like the Burl stuff and I am not just talking about the converters. The preamps, summing box and everything else they make all sound great to me. I really think that the designer listens a lot when he is designing his gear and the results are self evindent. The stuff just sounds really musical to me. I sold off converters costing many times more than the Burls and am perfectly content with my decision to do so. The stuff sounds great, is built like a tank, is easy to use and reasonably priced. What's not to like?
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's incredible!
Really? you really hear improvment by putting your sounds through?
Gets phatter, bigger ?
How would you describe it ?
Thanks for sharing
Regards
Sergio
Old 25th May 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
intresting thread !!
Thanks
Sergio
I use both. Yes, you would most likely usually notice an improvement with the Burl, it's generally bigger and better-sounding. However the 2192 shares much in common with it and is still one of the best converters ever. It's basically a transformerless cleaner version of the Burl. There are times when I would prefer it over the Burl. The prices the 2192 are now selling for used makes them a great deal IMO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search