The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Year old TubeTech SMC2B whistling noise
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Head
Year old TubeTech SMC2B whistling noise

Hello, I'm having an issue with my Tube Tech SMC2B and I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue? When the unit is taken off bypass there's a loud really high pitched whistling noise. I bought the unit last April and am hoping this is a quick fix.

Last edited by Nuñez305; 25th May 2016 at 10:44 AM..
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuñez305 View Post
Hello, I'm having an issue with my Tube Tech SMC2B and I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue. When the unit is taken off bypass there a loud really high pitched whistling noise. I bought the unit last April and am hoping this is a quick fix.
Bad tube comes to mind. Any spares to swap out?
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Head
Yeah, that along with the the level always being heavy to one side has me thinking it can be a tube as well. I wrote Tube Tech cause I've been on tour for most of the time I've had the unit and now am ready to use it and it has this issue. Hoping I'm under warranty or can get some advise/help from them.
Old 24th May 2016
You could also swap the tubes from side to side (unplug power of coarse) to see if the problem follows, and then narrow it down to the specific one and replace that pair if that is the culprit. Haven't opened it up in a while but think there's 4 valves per side. I've had one go south before and replaced the set. gl
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Head
I'll have to try that. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Yup the guys are correct. A whistling sound combined with a level change is a pretty common symptom of a tube that has gone microphonic.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Head
Back from touring and was reminded of this issue. After you guys suggested I replace the tubed I've went through replaced the tubes one set at a time with a set of NOS Telefunkens and it's not the tubes. I've recorded the noise cause it seems to be hissing now too. This unit has had light use since it's point of purchase. Anyone had issues like/similar to this?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

It could be the tube sockets are dirty or not making proper contact. I'd try the original tubes and re calibrate as per the instructions. then swap tubes over like someone said to check each channel.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
. I've recorded the noise cause it seems to be hissing now too. This unit has had light use since it's point of purchase. Anyone had issues like/similar to this?
I can't see the attachment for the recording.

Do these have opto attenuators?

Old 9th February 2017
Gear Head
I'll upload the file asap. I'll try cleaning the sockets as well. My Sweetwater rep is contacting Tube Tech and says they're cool..hoping for the best.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Head
The Noise

Anyone have any experience with a noise like this? I've replaced the tubes a set at a time with some NOS Telefunkens that have no issues and the noise continues. This unit has only been used on about a months worth of projects since the point of purchase and gets treated like it's made out of glass..so big bummer. Going to see if Tube Tech Dudes are down to help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TUBE TECH NOISE_01.wav.zip (6.32 MB, 4 views)
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that along with the the level always being heavy to one side has me thinking it can be a tube as well. I wrote Tube Tech cause I've been on tour for most of the time I've had the unit and now am ready to use it and it has this issue. Hoping I'm under warranty or can get some advise/help from them.
I would reach out to the dealer you bought it from. Tube Tech warranty and non warranty service for the US is in Las Vegas. If you want to send it in now for service, send it to Thermal Relief.

Thermal Relief Design – Resurrecting Pro Audio for decades

Brad
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Head
Thanks for the info Brad.

I have a little time left on my Sweetwater coverage and Thermal Relief is the spot they use for Tube Tech repair. Hoping this gets resolved.

Sent Tube Tech the noise and never heard back..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search