The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nice, big vocals preamp - BAE 1073 MP or ? :) Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Nice, big vocals preamp - BAE 1073 MP or ? :)

Recording my new album with classical Vedic mantras. Using Horch RM2J tube mic. On previous albums I used it with Forssell SMP-2 preamp. Although for me it is the very best preamp for acoustic instruments, I am not a professional singer with huge voice, so I would prefer more flattering bigger sound than just my bare too natural voice

I have just borrowed Neve 1073 DPA preamp. The vocals through it sound really a bit more firm, slightly bigger and more flattering ... So I would like to get a vocal preamp for me. I don't need stereo preamp. I tried recording various acoustic instruments and drums through Neve (with Schoeps) and Forssell always sounded so much better (more, detailed, spacey, airy). So I need just one great mono preamp for my vocals.

So I have few questions for those with direct experience

1) Would BAE 1073 MP sound similar like Neve 1073 DPA ?

2) What is the difference between BAE 1073 MP and 1073 or 1084, while the other two cost thrice as much. Is the preamp section and sound the same , just EQ is added ?

3) Any other option for a great, flattering big vocal ? Or Neve (BAE) is the reliable way to go ?
Old 22nd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Recording my new album with classical Vedic mantras. Using Horch RM2J tube mic. On previous albums I used it with Forssell SMP-2 preamp. Although for me it is the very best preamp for acoustic instruments, I am not a professional singer with huge voice, so I would prefer more flattering bigger sound than just my bare too natural voice

I have just borrowed Neve 1073 DPA preamp. The vocals through it sound really a bit more firm, slightly bigger and more flattering ... So I would like to get a vocal preamp for me. I don't need stereo preamp. I tried recording various acoustic instruments and drums through Neve (with Schoeps) and Forssell always sounded so much better (more, detailed, spacey, airy). So I need just one great mono preamp for my vocals.

2) What is the difference between BAE 1073 MP and 1073 or 1084, while the other two cost thrice as much. Is the preamp section and sound the same , just EQ is added ?

3) Any other option for a great, flattering big vocal ? Or Neve (BAE) is the reliable way to go ?
I own a bae 1073mp. The sound is professional as it gets for the money id say ~1k. Bae i believe, is slightly thicker sounding than most of the other neve clones. Its essentially the same thing as a 1073s preamp section. Does not have eq and thats fine with me. I pair mine with neve plugin emulations to get my eq section, and i have no problems with that. Its all in the mixing though. Get the right settings on your voice you will be shocked how good it sounds. Definitely a professional preamp not sure how it compares to the 1073dpa but ive used both, i have no problems recommending bae 1073mp. Best value for your money
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Buy from the master himself...not a clone, copy or wishful thinking. Rupert Neve Designs 5052
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Buy from the master himself...not a clone, copy or wishful thinking. Rupert Neve Designs 5052
I agree Mike. The 5052 is easily my favorite preamp.
J
Old 23rd May 2016
5052 looks nice but 3x the price of bae 1073mp when you factor in that you need the wooden box and power supply for it

Im sure its really good. Gonna put it on my list to check
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Head
hi guys,

I'm looking for a good vocal pre as well, really interested in the BAE 1073MP, what about the Warm Audio Tonebeast? Or is it nowhere near the BAE? I know that the Tonebeast is more like an API 312, but still I like both characteristics and I need a pre that adds a nice color, I already have the WA76 and I love it. Oh I use an U87 mostly for recording! thanks for your opinion!

Cheers,
Johnny
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
5052 looks nice but 3x the price of bae 1073mp when you factor in that you need the wooden box and power supply for it

Look at Ivo's mic...not some cheap POS.
If spending another $1k really let's the mic shine like no other...isn't that why you bought a great mic ?
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've preferred the BAE clones to the recent Neve ones. I think the BAE offerings are actually closer to the originals. I have stuck some of my 1028s in a 80 series desk next to vintage 1073s and they are pretty close.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post

Look at Ivo's mic...not some cheap POS.
If spending another $1k really let's the mic shine like no other...isn't that why you bought a great mic ?
We got a bunch of RND channels to try out at a studio I worked at a few years back and I was not impressed at all. I would easily take a BAE pre over an RND based on my experience.

Quote:
hi guys,

I'm looking for a good vocal pre as well, really interested in the BAE 1073MP, what about the Warm Audio Tonebeast? Or is it nowhere near the BAE? I know that the Tonebeast is more like an API 312, but still I like both characteristics and I need a pre that adds a nice color, I already have the WA76 and I love it. Oh I use an U87 mostly for recording! thanks for your opinion!

Cheers,
Johnny
API and Neve are 2 very different sounds. I recently was working with a vocalist and my Neve rack was at another studio so I used a vintage API 312 and even the singer noticed the difference and wanted the "fatness" back (we had been using a Neve before). You'll get some nice mids that will cut right through a rock mix on vocals with the API but generally I prefer the larger bottom cloud that the Neve does so well on Vocals
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
I've preferred the BAE clones to the recent Neve ones. I think the BAE offerings are actually closer to the originals. I have stuck some of my 1028s in a 80 series desk next to vintage 1073s and they are pretty close.

We got a bunch of RND channels to try out at a studio I worked at a few years back and I was not impressed at all. I would easily take a BAE pre over an RND based on my experience.

API and Neve are 2 very different sounds. I recently was working with a vocalist and my Neve rack was at another studio so I used a vintage API 312 and even the singer noticed the difference and wanted the "fatness" back (we had been using a Neve before). You'll get some nice mids that will cut right through a rock mix on vocals with the API but generally I prefer the larger bottom cloud that the Neve does so well on Vocals
Myles,
Was the Shelford one of the RND pres you'd tried?
Just curious.
J
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Vp28 could be my only preamp... I love my others but dollar for dollar.. I have Avalon great river heritage and others...
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have just borrowed preamp. The vocals through it sound really a bit more firm, slightly bigger and more flattering ... So I would like to get a vocal preamp for me. I don't need stereo preamp. I tried recording various acoustic instruments and drums through Neve (with Schoeps) and Forssell always sounded so much better (more, detailed, spacey, airy). So I need just one great mono preamp for my vocals.

1) Would sound similar like DPA ?

2) What is the difference between BAE 1073 MP and 1073 or , while the other two cost thrice as much. Is the preamp section and sound the same , just EQ is added ?

IMHO the Heritage is the best sounding 1073 or 1066... You need to try one but also try a full channel with EQ because it has an additional transformer in there.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Well, I really don't need wooden boxes for preamps etc. , or paying few times more for basically the same sound After some research and consultations I just ordered BAE 1073 MP (and learnt that except the EQ section it sounds exactly the same as 1073 or 1084 costing thrice as much).

But it will not sound the same as Neve DPA that I have here now, since AMS do not use Carnhill transformers. I believe BAE shall thus sound yet better

I don't know why but I somehow don't have much faith in those Heritage units ...
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I really don't need wooden boxes for preamps etc. , or paying few times more for basically the same sound After some research and consultations I just ordered BAE 1073 MP (and learnt that except the EQ section it sounds exactly the same as 1073 or 1084 costing thrice as much).

But it will not sound the same as Neve DPA that I have here now, since AMS do not use Carnhill transformers. I believe BAE shall thus sound yet better

I don't know why but I somehow don't have much faith in those Heritage units ...
NONE sound the same as an original due to 100 reasons and never will...
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Of the modern day 1073 variants, BAE gets my vote.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
NONE sound the same as an original due to 100 reasons and never will...
The may sound even better Evolution ...
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Myles,
Was the Shelford one of the RND pres you'd tried?
Just curious.
J
Not sure, it was a channelstrip and it was white. Can't remember the model number.
Old 24th May 2016
Quote:

Congrats! Im sure youll be happy. Imo cant go wrong.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

IMHO you got it right! The BAE is great

I'd like to add that although these are not clones but original designs of the same topology, the Avedis MA5 and the Aurora Audio GTQ2 (or gtqc or stinger), definitely fall in the "neve sound" category. Excellent stuff. (And if you think that 500 series modules are "inferior", in the very case of Avedis products you'll have to reconsider what it's somehow true for most other modules).

That said if you want a great alternative for tracking vocals I'd also suggest a telefunken v672, it's like butter.. Quite coloured, mellow, in a nice way imho.

Cheu
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Did a shootout with that mic about a year ago with api 312, 1073, Studer, we favoured the Avedis MA5. Though it might vary depending on the talent and song, as always...
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
Not sure, it was a channelstrip and it was white. Can't remember the model number.
Thanks Myles- to clarify, the Portico series sound nothing like the Shelford modules.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

One thing I can notice when comparing Forssell SMP-2 and Neve DPA in these days on vocals - while Neve is thicker and firmer, it is less "spacey" and less 3D than Forssell. And you can hear it even more clearly when recording some instrument in stereo: Forssell is so naturally "airy" and 3D, Neve comparing to it sounds like a bit 2D mono I could never use it for recording some instruments in stereo.

I wonder if BAE will be a bit more 3D ... (for vocals)
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

BAE 1073MP arrived ... It does not sound the same as Neve DPA ... Neve tends to sound a bit "under a blanket" comparing to BAE, while BAE sounds a bit more open ("aggressive") ? Also maybe tiny bit more bass ... Which I like more, I must find out
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Maniac

Bae? If i ever run out of vintage 10series id get myself auroras
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Addict

Interesting...I actually found them quite similar and if anything the opposite (neve sounding a little edgier than the BAE)...

Neve vs BAE vs Aurora

Quote:
BAE 1073MP arrived ... It does not sound the same as Neve DPA ... Neve tends to sound a bit "under a blanket" comparing to BAE, while BAE sounds a bit more open ("aggressive") ? Also maybe tiny bit more bass ... Which I like more, I must find out
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

One thing I can say for sure now - BAE is slightly sharper and a bit less hollow comparing to Neve DPA. I think I finally prefer it
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Based on 10 years of great service the ADL600 is my go to vocal pre.
Hugh
Old 2nd June 2016
Quote:
One thing I can say for sure now - BAE is slightly sharper and a bit less hollow comparing to Neve DPA. I think I finally prefer it
Wow. Yeah the bae 1073mp is a great preamp. I can't imagine needing anything more honestly with what I do
Old 2nd June 2016
SEED78
VT1?
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear
BAE is a great GOTO preamp. For bigness I also like the Pendulum MDP-1 tube preamp - a wonderful pre for big sound for those in the know.
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Avedis MA5....
There is a reason why it is loved by so many.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search