The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neuman KH 120 - sub or no sub ? Studio Monitors
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Neuman KH 120 - sub or no sub ?

sub or no sub .. that is the question!

I am using Neumann KH 120 since 3 years and I love them.
I am using them for producing and mixing dance/techno.
I am not a mastering guy ..
But I was thinking about adding a Neumman KH 805 subwoofer to them.
My room is ca. 20 square meters .. so not very big at all but a bit treated with basotect absorbers and basstraps and diffusors.
On the other hand I could save some money and invest in even more acoustic treatment.
What do you guys think would make more sense?
Getting a sub or treating the acoustics more.

BTW. even the low end translates pretty well on the small KH 120 speakers ..
All my mixes are rather good even in the low frequencies, if I hear them over a bigger system
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd recommend proper room treatment first.
When I added my subs, they really highlighted the bass problems in room which I had to fix.
I have the 120's too, and only ocassionally turn the subs on to check things down there, and find the 120's are pretty reliable. (It is nice to have that extra reference though)
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Head

Get the kh 805 sub man, don`t even blink, i got it in a 12 square meters room and it sounds super solid, no problems at all, tight & defined. Yeah i have some DYI treatment wich is great and got the isoacoustics sub stand, but dont fool yourself into thinking the kh 120 has bass cause it doesnt... or that the bass will just miraculously appear just by adding more treatment, just look at their size and then look at the subwoofer size. If you make techno (like myself), you owe it to yourself man to enjoy the creative process, i bet you dont feel super excited to make music on those kh 120, i tell you something... when you close the kh 805 and let those kh 120 play by themselves with all the treatment in the world, you will see there is no bass in them . It`s so obvious that the kh 120 was not designed to be used without a sub for serious music production, i mean maybe for editing... You can add more treatment, but you cannot add the missing bass unless you get the sub .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search