The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M269c
Old 17th May 2016
Gear Nut

M269c

Thinking about pulling the trigger.

Does this look legit to you guys?

NOS capsule
Attached Thumbnails
M269c-image.jpg   M269c-image.jpg   M269c-image.jpg   M269c-image.jpg   M269c-image.jpg  

M269c-image.jpg   M269c-image.jpg  
Old 17th May 2016
member no 666

You absolutely need to hear it before buying one [duh], that said, they're one of my favorite microphones ever made... in many ways they have the "air" of an M-49 with the solid midrange of a U-67.

In great condition, they are simply amazing... a joy to behold.

Peace
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
You absolutely need to hear it before buying one [duh], that said, they're one of my favorite microphones ever made... in many ways they have the "air" of an M-49 with the solid midrange of a U-67.

In great condition, they are simply amazing... a joy to behold.

Peace
All of this. Easily the best mic I own.
Old 17th May 2016
Gear Nut

Pulled the trigger. Thanks guys. Can't wait. I really appreciate your responses. Lots of money... So glad I can post here.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

I spent 3 years looking for one so they do not seem come up for sale very often.

Mine will be for sale after I am finished with it (when I am dead)
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

Congrats! The 269 is one of the finest microphones that Neumann ever made.
Old 19th May 2016
Seconded for pretty much the best mic we have. Want 8 more. Congrats OP!
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

im just glad that fletcher posted. i miss that dude.
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rtland View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger.

Does this look legit to you guys?

NOS capsule
I cracked open my M269c (a pristine version of the mic), and it looks the same. Just make sure you have an AC701 tube in there, and you should be good.

My M269c is my favorite mic in the world. Mine sounds great and beats out every U47 and U67 I've listened to.

Congrats, man!

Matt
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Seconded for pretty much the best mic we have. Want 8 more. Congrats OP!

So true! This mic has the "it" factor. M269c mics are the best on the plant, IMHO.

Matt
Old 26th May 2016
Gear Nut

sooo... came in the mail today. opened her up. and .... the psu has a 117v sticker on it. am i good to use this in the US? i mean it came from japan and they use 100v. we clearly use 120v. am i good? will i be straining the psu? i searched google and found info on running household equipment at dif. volts but of course nothing about neumann psu's. haha

thanks
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Check out the line voltage and frequency part of this page.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/overseas/
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Nut

Got it. Sweet. Thank you.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
Check out the line voltage and frequency part of this page.

Will My Electronics Work Overseas?
Not very helpful in your case.

AC701 tubes are finicky when supplied with too much heater voltage. Their power supply needs to be custom-adjusted for the specific tube used in the specific mic. That needs to be done before you use the mic for the first time.

There is a trim pot inside the (original) supply, with a screw driver slot sticking out on the circuit trace side of the board. That pot adjusts the heater voltage. U.S. nominal line voltage is 120VAC, but that varies a lot, and the supply's DC output voltages are not regulated well enough to buffer potential AC oversupply from the electric utility.

Here is the process to prevent your AC701 tube from premature failure due to mismatched heater supply voltage:

After removing the supply's and mic's housing, connect the mic and plug the supply into a wall socket at the place you intend to use the mic, and preferably at a time you most likely will use it. Then turn the mic on, with a competent technician ready to measure and adjust the heater voltage: 3.95VDC is the target, measured at the tube, not the power supply. If it's off by even 10% above that voltage, the tube will fail prematurely; if it's down too much, a different type of tube deterioration will happen, plus the noise floor goes up.

Last edited by Klaus; 27th May 2016 at 09:08 PM..
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

... and that tube is kinda pricey ...
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

One fragile tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Not very helpful in your case.

AC701 tubes are finicky when supplied with too much heater voltage. Their power supply needs to be custom-adjusted for the specific tube used in the specific mic. That needs to be done before you use the mic for the first time.

There is a trim pot inside the (original) supply, with a screw driver slot sticking out on the circuit trace side of the board. That pot adjusts the heater voltage. U.S. nominal line voltage is 120VAC, but that varies a lot, and the supply's DC output voltages are not regulated well enough to buffer potential AC oversupply from the electric utility.

Here is the process to prevent your AC701 tube from premature failure due to mismatched heater supply voltage:

After removing the supply's and mic's housing, connect the mic and plug the supply into a wall socket at the place you intend to use the mic, and preferably at a time you most likely will use it. Then turn the mic on, with a competent technician ready to measure and adjust the heater voltage: 3.95VDC is the target, measured at the tube, not the power supply. If it's off by even 10% above that voltage, the tube will fail prematurely; if it's down too much, a different type of tube deterioration will happen, plus the noise floor goes up.
Geez. Scary stuff. Thanks a lot Klaus. That was EXACTLY the kind of advice I was hoping to get.

I plugged it in last night for about 30 min, hope I didn't ruin it. But, who knows if it was calibrated correctly the last 40+ years. I kinda doubt it.

I'm definitely going to take your advice before I plug her in again that's for sure.

Klaus, say I need another tube, where would you recommend finding one?

I read on another forum you said you figured there are ~10,000 left, except they are probably held by a small amount of people. That explains the cost. But the cost also explains why people are selling frauds. Can you tell a real one from a fake? I suppose only buying from a reputable source...

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks again for the valuable warning. May have saved me a bundle....
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think you have to worry about yours being a fake - they would have had to have faked every single detail! Yours looks very legit.

FWIW - never ever run a PSU without it being plugged into your mic, and never ever turn on a psu, then plug it in. Always let the mic discharge and sit still for a few minutes before unplugging.

It's also worth letting it warm up for a few minutes - the more the better - before having any loud sounds go through it. Any tube gear for that matter.

My $.02
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Good stuff.

I don't believe the mic or the tube is fake. I'm actually very pleased with it. I was asking for when/if I need to replace the tube in the future...
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rtland View Post
Klaus, say I need another tube, where would you recommend finding one?
Telefunken AC 701 Tube Primer

Quote:
Can you tell a real one from a fake? I suppose only buying from a reputable source...
Yes, I can tell a real one from a fake, but not from a distance. The fake one, by the way, will not pass the noise floor test, which is something that does not require an expert to detect. But, as mentioned in the above link, even a reputable source is often reluctant to warrant a tube that cannot be tested pre-installation, and, once installed, cannot be returned, because the filament wires need to be cut and curled during installation. I give advice in the link how to deal with this issue.

So, if you can get a money-back warranty from the seller (a slim chance at best) and the bad noise floor shows up, probably within minutes, but most often within the first 24hrs of continuos operation, that allows for a speedy return of the bad tube to the seller.
Old 22nd August 2016
500 series nutjob

Just wanted to say they are one of my favorite microphones as well.
Hope you are loving it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search