The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Security System
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

Security System

Hi all,

I am opening a 3100sf studio in Brooklyn in the next few months. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for video security systems that have been quality and cost efficient.

Ideally would like to have somewhere in the range of 10 cameras with iphone access/control/video feed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Mike
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear
Don't you think 10 cameras for a 3100sf studio is a bit overkill? Are you worried about clients stealing mics?
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

The Foscams with a web service are cost efficient. I personally use dropcams, I however also use simplisafe sensor system, and of course insurance. Beyond that however all the gear is bolted and racked.

All the stuff just makes the deed tougher to accomplish, and the best thing of course is simply to have insurance.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
Don't you think 10 cameras for a 3100sf studio is a bit overkill? Are you worried about clients stealing mics?
It really depends on how the building is laid out and how much security you think you need. Clients do steal mics and thieves break into to places or have you been living under a rock? I have 14 cameras of the 16 I purchased running 24/7 in my 3,000 sq foot facility. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to security. My clients see the monitor with all cams running and they actually feel safer leaving their gear overnight. I don't tell anyone about the rest of the security measures I have but the cams were purchased for about $700 from Costco and were worth every penny. Mine is the Lorex system and I can access it from my iphone. I also have them mounted up on the top of my building watching the front door, sidewalk, and parking lot next door as well as the alley behind my building. Its nice to be able to see what is going on outside before you leave at 4:00am sometimes.

In the past I have had guns pulled in the studio, mics grabbed off of mic stands and someone trying to run out the door with it, etc etc etc....(this is why I refuse to do rap and hip hop any more)...People are on their best behavior when there are cams on them....Also had a fellow studio guy get killed back in the 1990s in his studio by some thugs that just wanted his gear. They tied him up, used a taser on him and then beat him to death, and took his gear. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-court-...s/1486109.html

I also have deadbolts on the front and rear doors as well as a few interior doors but maybe that is overkill too? People that love to live in LaLa Land with their heads in the clouds always wanting to believe the best in people may seem noble. But the reality is that there are a ton of ****ty people in the world and anything you can do for your own security and that of your clients should be done. Including carrying a gun if necessary. Security cameras can help catch bad guys as well as keep potential bad guys in line. If David Loucks had a gun in his studio he may be alive today. If he had security cameras all around he wouldn't have been seen as an easy target. also it would not have taken nearly 2 years to catch the dirtbag that killed him. Just saying...
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
It really depends on how the building is laid out and how much security you think you need. Clients do steal mics and thieves break into to places or have you been living under a rock? I have 14 cameras of the 16 I purchased running 24/7 in my 3,000 sq foot facility. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to security. My clients see the monitor with all cams running and they actually feel safer leaving their gear overnight. I don't tell anyone about the rest of the security measures I have but the cams were purchased for about $700 from Costco and were worth every penny. Mine is the Lorex system and I can access it from my iphone. I also have them mounted up on the top of my building watching the front door, sidewalk, and parking lot next door as well as the alley behind my building. Its nice to be able to see what is going on outside before you leave at 4:00am sometimes.

In the past I have had guns pulled in the studio, mics grabbed off of mic stands and someone trying to run out the door with it, etc etc etc....(this is why I refuse to do rap and hip hop any more)...People are on their best behavior when there are cams on them....Also had a fellow studio guy get killed back in the 1990s in his studio by some thugs that just wanted his gear. They tied him up, used a taser on him and then beat him to death, and took his gear. STATE v. SWENSON | FindLaw

I also have deadbolts on the front and rear doors as well as a few interior doors but maybe that is overkill too? People that love to live in LaLa Land with their heads in the clouds always wanting to believe the best in people may seem noble. But the reality is that there are a ton of ****ty people in the world and anything you can do for your own security and that of your clients should be done. Including carrying a gun if necessary. Security cameras can help catch bad guys as well as keep potential bad guys in line. If David Loucks had a gun in his studio he may be alive today. If he had security cameras all around he wouldn't have been seen as an easy target. also it would not have taken nearly 2 years to catch the dirtbag that killed him. Just saying...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-security. I have a good security system myself, as well as high security deadbolts on all ext doors and I lock the mic cab as well as all the rooms at night.

I just mean, my studio is 4000sqf and 8 cams is more than enough, YMMV and i suppose we have a fairly open layout with larger rooms.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search