The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann km54a/km56 without power supply Condenser Microphones
Old 14th May 2016
Neumann km54a/km56 without power supply

Hey Gearslutz,

this is my first thread and i´m from Germany so I´m sorry for my bad english

I luckily found two Neumann microphones today on a pile of garbage that was probably left over from a liquidation. i´m incredibly happy about this and they even seem like they are in a good condition. Its a km56 and a km54a. The problem is that i could not find a power supply or any other accessories than the cases and the microphones.

Do you know how much it would cost to check the mics and get all the accessories I need to run the mics properly? (if they work)

I read that you could mod some of the old Neumanns to run them over XLR with phantom power. could this be an option too?

I´m a student and dont have that much money so I think about selling one or maybe both if i cant afford all the stuff I need for them.
Do you know how much they are worth without a power supply?

Thanks in advance
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiedelfinn View Post
H
I luckily found two Neumann microphones today on a pile of garbage that was probably left over from a liquidation. i´m incredibly happy about this and they even seem like they are in a good condition. Its a km56 and a km54a. The problem is that i could not find a power supply or any other accessories than the cases and the microphones.

Do you know how much it would cost to check the mics and get all the accessories I need to run the mics properly? (if they work)

I read that you could mod some of the old Neumanns to run them over XLR with phantom power. could this be an option too?

I´m a student and dont have that much money so I think about selling one or maybe both if i cant afford all the stuff I need for them.

Thanks in advance

Great find! you can buy Schaal audio PSU for them or send them to Drefahl audio for service. Its worth it. They cannot work on XLR with 48v they are both tube mics.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

I agree completely. I've purchased a power supply for a KM254 from Schaal and had a KM54 repaired by Drefahl. Both were excellent experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobexploit View Post
Great find! you can buy Schaal audio PSU for them or send them to Drefahl audio for service. Its worth it. They cannot work on XLR with 48v they are both tube mics.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

http://www.voxorama.com/mikrofone/de...eraete-ab.html

Where about in Germany are you if I may ask?
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

The thread seems a bit slow, but I have a hunch some are replying in another way.
Old 15th May 2016
Gear Addict

You may be in luck.
These pair of Neumann N52a power supplies have appeared on eBay.
They are compatible with the KM54 and KM56.

2X Neumann N52T *KM56 KM54 Mics | eBay

You will require the the correct connectors but pre-wired looms and adapters are available from Sonicworld...

http://www.sonicworld.eu/new-gear/a-...cable-adaptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiedelfinn View Post
Hey Gearslutz,

this is my first thread and i´m from Germany so I´m sorry for my bad english

Thanks in advance
Old 15th May 2016
thank you for all the great answers!

Quote:
Where about in Germany are you if I may ask?
I live in Hamburg, but from time to time I´m in Berlin so i could check them out

Quote:
You may be in luck.
These pair of Neumann N52a power supplies have appeared on eBay.
They are compatible with the KM54 and KM56.

2X Neumann N52T *KM56 KM54 Mics | eBay
Wow yeah seems like a lucky day!

Whats the normal price of the old ones?

Edit: I found some offers in german eBay, they are all between 250€ to 350€ per unit without the cables. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of the old ones?
I think about getting a Schaal unit for 300€ because they don´t need a special Powercable.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I live in Hamburg, but from time to time I´m in Berlin so i could check them out
Yup, Andreas lives near Berlin. Some of the best were already mentioned. Andreas Grosser may very well be the best of the best. He's an authority of sorts.
He wil check your mics too (not while you're waiting, mind) and, if need be, he will return them to an impeccable state, with great respect for originality.

The PSUs he makes look superb and vintage-like, but in those he does use modern parts, for better performance and reliability.

The original cassette PSUs on eBay are in Switzerland. Those could be an option, too. But although they seem to be in "working" order they may need some revision. Especially the NiCads in them tend to go bad. In that case you'd have to get in contact with a guy like Andreas anyway. He may have a couple of those for sale BTW. Revised, of course.
Old 15th May 2016
Quote:
Yup, Andreas lives near Berlin. Some of the best were already mentioned. Andreas Grosser may very well be the best of the best. He's an authority of sorts.
He wil check your mics too (not while you're waiting, mind) and, if need be, he will return them to an impeccable state, with great respect for originality.

The PSUs he makes look superb and vintage-like, but in those he does use modern parts, for better performance and reliability.

The original cassette PSUs on eBay are in Switzerland. Those could be an option, too. But although they seem to be in "working" order they may need some revision. Especially the NiCads in them tend to go bad. In that case you'd have to get in contact with a guy like Andreas anyway. He may have a couple of those for sale BTW. Revised, of course.
yeah his stuff really looks great! I think I will give him the mics for repair when I´m in Berlin the next time
Old 15th May 2016
I'm in a studio the next week to record a new album with my Band and our producer told me that he may could borrow a PSU for the mics from a friend. Then I could check the mics and hear how they sound
Is there anything I should pay attention to when connecting the mic with the PSU? (I heard that they needed to be calibrated sometimes)
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd be very careful. The tubes in those are worth a small fortune and they are very picky about voltage.
Also, the -a versions are possibly even more delicate than the -c versions.
But better ask a true expert.
Old 15th May 2016
ok I already thought something like this... then I will get my own PSUs.
I cant wait to hear how they sound because the best mics I had until now were an sm57 and a 100€ condenser
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

To expand on legato's advice: do not plug these mics into power supplies whose output voltage under load has not been tested and/or calibrated. Every AC701 draws different amounts of current, so this is not an easy plug & play & switch affair. Oversupply of heater voltage to the AC701 by even 10% can kill this fragile tube in no time.

Operate any AC701 tube with a maximum of 4.00 volts DC, measured not at the power supply, but always at the tube itself. Disregard this advice at your ($700) peril!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search