The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 Pair or AKG C24 + U67 Thoughts? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th May 2016
Here for the gear

Neumann U67 Pair or AKG C24 + U67 Thoughts?

I am faced with the conundrum of choosing between a consecutive serial pair of Neumann U67s (re-skinned capsules) or an AKG C24 and a Neumann U67 (re-skinned capsule) to pair with my Coles 4038s for drum overheads/rooms duties.

Would appreciate thoughts and rationale on making the best decision.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

C24 is nice OH mic, though it can be a bit to narrow if you're used to AB miking. Two C12s on the other hand...

I'd go with two U67, unless the C24 was supercheap.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Guru

2 U76s seems a lot more flexible.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Guru

67's for OH are not my faves. C12's are though, and although i've never used a C24 on DRUM OH's, I have used them, and they are wonderful mics. Personally, I'd get the C24 and ditch the U67, and get 2 Gefell UM70's instead. Short of 2 C12's, you would have 3 stereo sets of the best OH drum mics money can buy - AKG, Coles, Gefell. Plus, you will have a lot of money left over.

Note : short of a great pair of C12's, a decade long search has left me with Gefell UM70's or M71's (I've got 3 of each) as the best drum OH I could find - bar none.
Old 14th May 2016
Motown legend

Always get a pair so that you can shoot out mike position.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

C24 easy setup and easy M/S
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd go for the pair of U67's. Those are my favourite overhead mics, and I tend to use them together with a pair of 4038's for room mics.
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks gents keep the comments coming
Old 14th May 2016
Motown legend

You should use them for a LOT more than overheads!
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Nut

I believe you can create a very good DIY clone of a C12 quite reasonably $, so a pair would be a solid alternative to the C24, I've never heard any U67 clone come close to the sound of a real, choice U67, and i've heard many by now, so i'd definitely go with the pair of U67's, if they're good ones, they will be as useful as any mic one could own imo.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

I have all these and actually tend to record 2 pairs of stereo overheads and one mono and mix and match. C12s and 4038s for stereo BUT nothing touches a 67 for mono and I use it much more often than you'd think. I love the C24 but X/Y and M/S is not my preference for overheads. Sounds fantastic on acoustic guitar though cause it's so close that you get an adequate stereo image with great mono compatibility. In short, if you need drums get U67s. If you need more flexibility get 67 for mono overhead and C24 for other uses.
Old 15th May 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks all for the input. The C24 is appealing not only for drums but for acoustics and upright piano. However I've always lent towards a U67 as my "go to" vocal mic and love how they capture drums when used as overheads.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

I would get the c24 and single 67. that c24 is a terrific mic
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

C24s are great but the thing with a U67 is you will invariably want a second one! Bear in mind that a C24 actually sounds different from a C12...

Personally I would much rather a pair of 67s...
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Agreed with the person above the c24 sounds different then c12 just happens I like them better. It's a lovely mic acoustics, piano, vocals. Plus it's like your getting three mics for the price of two.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Re-skinned? Skip the C24 then.

It has likely lost what is important. With the 67s you can still buy a replacement capsule from Neumann - figure that into the price. Last I heard the general consensus what that they are good as ever.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Re-skinned? Skip the C24 then.

It has likely lost what is important. With the 67s you can still buy a replacement capsule from Neumann - figure that into the price. Last I heard the general consensus what that they are good as ever.
I read it as, the 67's are reskinned, and the C24 is original.

C24 + 67, if that's the case. Maybe even if not.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I read it as, the 67's are reskinned, and the C24 is original.

C24 + 67, if that's the case. Maybe even if not.
Reviewing, I believe you are correct. Very personal choice as which way to go.
Old 18th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Reviewing, I believe you are correct. Very personal choice as which way to go.
Apologies should have been clearer at my end. The U67s have been reskinned and the C24 has had the rear (fixed) capsule reskinned.

I know the U67s very well, but have not used a C24 for my primary purpose before.
Old 18th May 2016
AKG C24 & Neumann SM69 Valve Version here. Would recommend this combo for many obvious reasons if available.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Bear in mind that a C24 actually sounds different from a C12...
Yep, but that's also true about various batches of CK12s. I could ~match C12 with some low shelf boost on my C24.

Tim Campbell reskined CK12 sounded great to me. So I stoped worrying about what happens when one of my CK12 goes bad. Maybe for some people it's worth less after the reskin. Though if you care about actually using the mic, it won't dissapoint.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Yep, but that's also true about various batches of CK12s. I could ~match C12 with some low shelf boost on my C24.

Tim Campbell reskined CK12 sounded great to me. So I stoped worrying about what happens when one of my CK12 goes bad. Maybe for some people it's worth less after the reskin. Though if you care about actually using the mic, it won't dissapoint.
the real backplates are where the money is IMV, any qualified person such as Tim, Thiersch can reskin them to the highest possible standard.

can anyone speak to the major sound diffs between their C12 and their C24 in mono? I've read that the C24 sounds a bit harder edged? I think a pair of C12's can be placed head to head and get as close as the C24(from pics)? The softness of a great pair of C12's top end seems it would be more appealing to me, just speculating, I can't say from experience.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

The C12 I've compared to my C24 had the big Henry transformer and capsule reskined by Tim. And on its own it sounded deeper and fuller than C24 which was a bit light in the bottom and yes a tiny bit harder (though still very smooth and soft). Low shelf boost on C24 brought it to 98.888% (some ridiculous close percentage) of the C12. I'd def prefered 2 C12s over the C24, I'd prefer C12 for most of the songs where there is THE VOCAL and then everything else. Once the vocal is surrounded with more instruments I'd say the lighter nature of C24 starts to be preferable. Also each of the C24 capsules sound slightly different, so you can use one that fits the voice better or do the "record both with different preamp settings" trick.

To my surprise C414comb I have had very very similar tone to the C12, just with different dynamic behaviour (the tube ones are more compressed and round on the transients). Perhaps with some big sounding tube preamp it could be nice candidate for poor mans c12... have to try it with V72 one day.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletronix View Post
i am faced with the conundrum of choosing between a consecutive serial pair of neumann u67s (re-skinned capsules) or an akg c24 and a neumann u67 (re-skinned capsule) to pair with my coles 4038s for drum overheads/rooms duties.

Would appreciate thoughts and rationale on making the best decision.
c24 + u67

Versatility in use and value in resale; plain and simple.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search