The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 3124+ Build Quality--Solid?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

API 3124+ Build Quality--Solid?

I went to West L.A. Music to see one, but they didn't have one in stock. So I fiddled with the Chandler stuff, which felt seriously well built. I fiddled with another reputable brand and thought it felt cheap (not gonna give names). Anyway, I left still wondering how the 3124+ feels? Solid and well built? I really would expect so, but I want to be sure.

Care to comment?
Thanks!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

give the names, who cares... that is why we are here!

The API stuff is great quality and the best deal out and the best must have pres.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

we have a 3124+ built in 1998 and another from 2005....with the exception of a slightly different material for the metering lights, and maybe a different screen for the panel graphics both these units are rock solid. no worries
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post

The API stuff is great quality and the best deal out and the best must have pres.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
The API stuff.......the best must have pres.
beggeth to differeth:
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Guru

anyone who sells a API 3124 is insane unless they are selling the studio....
Old 9th February 2007

The 3124+ is the best multi channel pre deal in audio (bang for buck)!
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I must second the vote for the API.
The stuff is built well, support is THE best out there!
You cannot go wrong with API!
Plus, they are some value holding mothers! If you buy used, you will get every dollar back out of it when you sell it.

However, I disagree about the "best deal"....

A used Red1 is the super deal to me!

Good luck with the search!!!

D
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch View Post
A used Red1 is the super deal to me!
eeek!
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

"eeeek" why?

Do you have an opinion or an experience you would like to share?

Or are you just towing the GS cool kids list of approved gear?

Tell us, what don't you like about the unit?

D
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

general question. if you buy a brand new 3124 or anything very new for that matter, is it gonna have that new government imposed crappy silver solder? just curious.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch View Post
"eeeek" why?

Do you have an opinion or an experience you would like to share?

Or are you just towing the GS cool kids list of approved gear?

Tell us, what don't you like about the unit?

D

Hello, I only comment or joke about gear on here that I have personal experience with.

I used the red 1 for years and while it's a very solid unit (verrrry solid if you've ever taken off that massive piece of front aluminum or whatever it is) with an honest sound.

The unit just never did it for me.

Many of us know how the 3124 can sound desirable when it's metering in the red.

However, I always felt the RED1 was quite unhappy when it would peg and it would often peg.

I found the stepped input gain a real pain because often one click was too low and the other too high--which always necessitated running it through another gain stage to fine tune the output.

I could give a rat's big green ass about the cool kids and what they think on here.

I'm glad you like the red1--
didn't mean to troll or anything
just trying to keep it light and fruity

Last edited by zarembo; 9th February 2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

In a pinch you can use an API as a jackstand to change the oil in your car.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
However, I always felt the RED1 was quite unhappy when it would peg and it would often peg.

I found the stepped input gain a real pain because often one click was too low and the other too high--which always necessitated running it through another gain stage to fine tune the output.

I could give a rat's big green ass about the cool kids and what they think on here.

I'm glad you like the red1--
didn't mean to troll or anything
just trying to keep it light and fruity
Sorry I was so quick to jump.
You clearly have used the piece because you mentioned everything I dislike about it.
heh

I will be more light and fruity as well.

I was mainly looking for good feedback about the sound of the unit in my response to you. I used to have a bunch of BA racked 1272's, and when I got the RED1 I just felt like I was getting the goodness I liked in the Neve's w/o the low-mid build up I got when using 1272's on many tracks. I also like that it sounds the same at almost all gain settings. Those APIs have to run hot IMO to have the magic.

Thanks for the response!!!

Light and fruity,
D
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

maybe I should be careful with the fruitiness around here given Dim Light's revelation over in the good news section.....

the api's really make me feel like I have a palette at my disposal to accompany the source and mic choice....but with the red 1 it was always like "well, there it is...sounds nice and just like it sounds...".

Kind of plainly honest. Which isn't a bad thing...I guess. If you like that in a woman, er I mean preamp. Sorry, still trying to temper the fruitiness with some masculine plunders

I can remember about ten years ago when 1272's were everywhere and seemed cheap. geez, now there are racked pairs on the evil bay for $3k + which makes my eight channels of 3124 for just over $4k seem like a sweeet deal.

keep rockin
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
beggeth to differeth:
Well…

I haven't heard it yet but it is twice the price for half as many channels.

Best bang for buck?

Hmmm.
Old 11th February 2007
I have the first ever Thermionic Culture Early Bird made

Its good.. lovely on ribbon mic's

Mine dont have eq's on em though as the new ones do
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Cool. Thanks, guys--I appreciate the help. Max's response wins best of thread, no doubt.
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
If i had to i would do that very thing, would not have a problem about putting back in the racks and firing it up for tracking....heh
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Addict

i love my 3124+.

i just used it for the first time last night and i tracked almost everything through it for the rock song i did...

guitars, bass, kick, snare, vocals -- all sounded awesome.

any fellow API users have any tricks or tips when using the 3124+? I saw the tip about running it in the red giving it a driven sound?

i was freaking out at first when i plugged in the kick because the gain knob was turned all the way down, but it was going right through it......then i turned on the pad.
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
i love my 3124+.

i just used it for the first time last night and i tracked almost everything through it for the rock song i did...

guitars, bass, kick, snare, vocals -- all sounded awesome.

any fellow API users have any tricks or tips when using the 3124+? I saw the tip about running it in the red giving it a driven sound?

i was freaking out at first when i plugged in the kick because the gain knob was turned all the way down, but it was going right through it......then i turned on the pad.

lol , the pad is a must on any kick mic or loud guitar amp...

enjoy.
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Maniac

The API 3124+ blew my face off. It's a great deal if you can get one used (~500 per channel), and it WILL impress you. This wasn't one of those, "squint at the monitors and see if you can hear the slight difference between the new pre and the old pre"... it was, "f#@k me! that sounds amazing!". I have never tracked drums that sounded as good as the stuff I tracked with that unit.

Take that for what it's worth.

WATYF
Old 1st August 2007
Lives for gear

SOLID...like a rock

(Ashford & Simpson)
Old 1st August 2007
Lives for gear

About the API's hot outputs: I'm not a huge fan of using the input pad but usually run my 512s through an A-Designs ATTY'd (passive attenuator) on the way to A/D converters. This way I can run the APIs into the red but have greater control to prevent clipping.

This chain is especially useful with drums and loud guitars.

Best of luck.
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Addict

Slightly off topic . . . I guess . . . but I just racked up 4 old 70's API 312 cards (so I have a homemade racked 3124 I guess) and these pre's blow the doors off anything else I have owned.

The 312 design is sturdy and simple (I am sure it still is on modern 3124). But the sound is noticeably bright and exciting. I A-B'd a couple of my favorite boutique Pre's and an old Cadac G Series (with Marinara/Neve txfrmr) and the musician I was testing with flipped at the difference. The 312s just are present and somehow bright and smooth/exciting.

I am sure it is a matter of taste but for my money there is no better value than API pre's.

anyhoo... ,

- Jimmer
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Addict

yeah i'm extremely excited to get another 3124+ when I can afford it and have 8 channels of API.
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
The API 3124+ blew my face off. It's a great deal if you can get one used (~500 per channel), and it WILL impress you. This wasn't one of those, "squint at the monitors and see if you can hear the slight difference between the new pre and the old pre"... it was, "f#@k me! that sounds amazing!". I have never tracked drums that sounded as good as the stuff I tracked with that unit.

Take that for what it's worth.

WATYF
Kewl I love your Kitty

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search