The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTM822-2GN Discontinued? Summing Mixers
Old 13th May 2016
  #1
Aurora GTM822-2GN Discontinued?

So... I spoke with my VK rep about purchasing one of these, and was told they aren't being made any more.

This mixer looked like the perfect centerpiece for an ITB setup. It has dual input, direct outs, tranny per channel, summing, talkback, monitor switching, and more. It's ungodly sexy.

Does anyone know of anything similar, other than the SSL X-desk? I wanted that tone, and I'm really bummed that I can't buy one.

Why would this PERFECT product be discontinued? Anybody? Maybe Geoff can chime in?

Why aren't there any similarly complete products out there? I can't find any.
Old 13th May 2016
  #2
Bump... anybody?
Old 13th May 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
So... I spoke with my VK rep about purchasing one of these, and was told they aren't being made any more.

This mixer looked like the perfect centerpiece for an ITB setup. It has dual input, direct outs, tranny per channel, summing, talkback, monitor switching, and more. It's ungodly sexy.

Does anyone know of anything similar, other than the SSL X-desk? I wanted that tone, and I'm really bummed that I can't buy one.

Why would this PERFECT product be discontinued? Anybody? Maybe Geoff can chime in?

Why aren't there any similarly complete products out there? I can't find any.
Hi

It's not discontinued as such... I have a half built one on the shelf awaiting completion.

The thing is that we have a lot of products... you'd be surprised if you went to our products page and added them up.... and we have to concentrate on products we have orders for... as well as new products for the future.

It's a very labor intensive unit to build compared to our Sidecar so, while not discontinued, it's not a priority.

Much more interesting things on the horizon....

Old 13th May 2016
  #4
Thanks for the swift and thorough reply.

You just made my day.
Old 13th May 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
Really looking forward to learning what you have up your sleeve, Geoff.

OP, for now the rnd 5060 would be close to what you're after. Or, minus the monitoring, the 5059. I own the latter and love it. Not a tranny on every channel, but the electronic balancing is outstanding. I have horrible ground loop and noise issues in my studio, but never because of the 5059. Silk is also really cool.
Old 14th May 2016
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Really looking forward to learning what you have up your sleeve, Geoff.

OP, for now the rnd 5060 would be close to what you're after. Or, minus the monitoring, the 5059. I own the latter and love it. Not a tranny on every channel, but the electronic balancing is outstanding. I have horrible ground loop and noise issues in my studio, but never because of the 5059. Silk is also really cool.

Yeah... Looked into it. I'm not a fan of the red and blue "just add vintage" knob. I also thought (could be wrong tho) that the RND didn't have dual input.

That's the single greatest thing about the Aurora for my workflow. One minute, I'm producing and songwriting. Next I'm tracking vocals. Then I'm mixing. Being able to easily switch between my summing inputs and my production rig without a large console is AMAZING.
Old 14th May 2016
  #7
Gear Addict
 

The vibe is different, but what about the Speck Lilo series? Dual inputs, huge routing flexibility, etc. A "clean" platform, as far as I can tell.

I used to use an older 16 channel Speck EQ and it's marvelous. Personally, I may yet look at a Lilo and gladly patch in that old EQ. I'm less concerned about adding vibe per se and simply about being able to mix 16+ channels in something vaguely resembling a large format desk.

Also, what about the Great River Mixmaster 20?
Old 14th May 2016
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
The vibe is different, but what about the Speck Lilo series? Dual inputs, huge routing flexibility, etc. A "clean" platform, as far as I can tell.

I used to use an older 16 channel Speck EQ and it's marvelous. Personally, I may yet look at a Lilo and gladly patch in that old EQ. I'm less concerned about adding vibe per se and simply about being able to mix 16+ channels in something vaguely resembling a large format desk.

Also, what about the Great River Mixmaster 20?
Mixmaster doesn't do the xformer per in, and the pres are different than the great river ones we all know and love.

AFAIK, the Speck doesn't have the same monitor switching and talkback functions, and none of the vibe.

I mean, that's why I get a chubby looking at the Aurora. It does everything I need and doesn't compromise on any of it. It's what the AMS Neve summer should have been.
Old 16th May 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
The "just add vintage" knobs are not at all a gimmick. They reduce negative feedback on the output transformers. It's a very organic sound and not at all like an effect.

You can use the 5059 in a dual input configuration. Just use the insert returns as the second set of inputs, and use the insert buttons to toggle between sources.

Also the insert sends are always live, which is useful for parallel processing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Yeah... Looked into it. I'm not a fan of the red and blue "just add vintage" knob. I also thought (could be wrong tho) that the RND didn't have dual input.

That's the single greatest thing about the Aurora for my workflow. One minute, I'm producing and songwriting. Next I'm tracking vocals. Then I'm mixing. Being able to easily switch between my summing inputs and my production rig without a large console is AMAZING.
Old 16th May 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
The "just add vintage" knobs are not at all a gimmick. They reduce negative feedback on the output transformers. It's a very organic sound and not at all like an effect.

You can use the 5059 in a dual input configuration. Just use the insert returns as the second set of inputs, and use the insert buttons to toggle between sources.

Also the insert sends are always live, which is useful for parallel processing.
I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2018
  #11
Here for the gear
 

The GTM822 is definitely discontinued now, I tried to order one but was told it’s out of production.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump