The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari MTR-12 1/2" Deck - Thoughts? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th May 2016
Otari MTR-12 1/2" Deck - Thoughts?

Anyone running an MTR-12 1/2" deck? I know the electronics can be upgraded, which is nice. I don't know much else...
Old 13th May 2016
So nobody has one? bumpage
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

sold mine about 6 months ago. 1/4" is the way to go tho
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

I have a spare machine but its pretty stripped. Probably wouldn't be interested. The chassis is in great shape tho :D
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Well, I keep a really great Sony APR 5003/V 1/4 inch and 1/2" machine and I can only say, with Dolby SR, it's astonishingly wide, SNR is very good or Dolby SR/A though it's much more transparent then sans Dolby 30 IPS though at 15 IPS and with no Dolby, man, it's a gorgeous vibe and loves to smpte, 9 pin RS422 and has internal Timecode lock, chase, freewheel, jam sync and generate! It came from a Film Studio and is a 1989 model, and man the upgraded EPROMs I've got ....its allowed thevSony to be as dumb as I am or as intelligent as you are? I've worked extensively with Otari MTR-12 and the 14 was a serious dream, though very expensive etc! Their last effort or was that the 20!

Really, Sony had by now branded off MCI to totally Sony livery and the options, great, really...to this day a clasp seems wasteful though JRF and others offer parts and service etc.

You just must've make sure you've got the manual, schematics and full layout and sync cababililities apart from that....nice unit, often in 4 track or 2 track and very popular in Radio and TV etc.

I do know - the Sony was modelled on the Ampex 100 and Studer A820 so it's got mvc, and Timecode plenty of memory, and self adjusting and biasing in Auto for different tape settings, 320 n/wb is running plus 8 dBu and its impedance is not a 600 ohm ordeal (the Sony has a great input and output impedance thus very different to most tape units from this era) so yes, it's a fine unit, as for the MTR-12, there were many options so you do need to make sure the heads are good and....your not buying someone else's junk? I've had my APR 5K for 20 years, and I use a Nagra 4.2 as well! I can only say nothing sounds like tape, and it's either RMGI or Boutique brand! Expensive to keep, not if you keep it in check though all machines are different, so...?

Good luck!
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Skywalker Sound used to use these decks exclusively. See photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Otari MTR-12 1/2" Deck - Thoughts?-post.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search