The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Api/ Dav/ Sytek Oh my
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Api/ Dav/ Sytek Oh my

Howdy

Long time lurker, first post.

I'm about to drop some bread on pres, and this seems to be the best (if not entirely impartial,) resource around. So here it is.

I record location stuff, rock, jazz, classical. This compounds the choices.

Have a Vintech 1272, and love it, but would consider selling for more channels.

Here's the options-

1. Api 3124, sell Vintech, buy Sytek, support the little guy here in Chicago. Seemingly cover all the bases, 4 clean, 4 colored...

2. Buy Dav BG8, keep Vintech for rock stuff.

3. Api 3124, keep Vintech, add 2 clean channels, maybe BG1r. This is probably the best for rawk drums, but am I compromising for jazz and classical?

Caveats- this is for 8 channels of remote, so size and weight are a consideration. Also, I really want enough coloration to make some rock albums. Don't mind coloration for classical and especially not for jazz, but have not used API for either.

And of course, I make money doing this, so I'm not buying anything without listening first; just wanted some professional ops.

Thanks, you guys have been pissing off my girlfriend for ages. Now I finally have a legitimate excuse not to buy that ring.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebassist View Post
Howdy

Long time lurker, first post.

I'm about to drop some bread on pres, and this seems to be the best (if not entirely impartial,) resource around. So here it is.

I record location stuff, rock, jazz, classical. This compounds the choices.

Have a Vintech 1272, and love it, but would consider selling for more channels.

Here's the options-

1. Api 3124, sell Vintech, buy Sytek, support the little guy here in Chicago. Seemingly cover all the bases, 4 clean, 4 colored...

2. Buy Dav BG8, keep Vintech for rock stuff.

3. Api 3124, keep Vintech, add 2 clean channels, maybe BG1r. This is probably the best for rawk drums, but am I compromising for jazz and classical?

Caveats- this is for 8 channels of remote, so size and weight are a consideration. Also, I really want enough coloration to make some rock albums. Don't mind coloration for classical and especially not for jazz, but have not used API for either.

And of course, I make money doing this, so I'm not buying anything without listening first; just wanted some professional ops.

Thanks, you guys have been pissing off my girlfriend for ages. Now I finally have a legitimate excuse not to buy that ring.

Yikes, I wished i had a Vintech 1272 for another pre flavor, i own the 3124s that are the ULTRA in drums, guitar, bass and some vocals, ive also recorded jazz with the 3124s and LOVE IT !! I cannot comment on the Sytek, never used them.
You do not need to try out the 3124s, you will lock them away in your safe once you get them, run those puppies in the RED and pad the outputs, however i did try out some of the BAE 312a and was turned off by them, i just could not push them like the other API stuff. In general everyone likes the 3124s, also the best bang for the buck. Good luck !!!! Keep the lady ....lol
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

Am I off base in thinking that as a bassist you'd want a DI? If so, that new rackable DAV with DI looks good.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi,

I've owned both the Sytek and DAV (BG-2). Both are excellent; both are very clean and pure. I sold the Sytek; the DAV just had a richer sound without losing any detail. Hard to describe, but very obvious when you hear both. I wouldn't say one is better than the other; it's a matter of taste.

Nitpicky details: Sytek has no status light for 48V. DAV is slightly, slightly noisier than the Sytek.

Either way, if you're looking for clean and pure, you can't go wrong. Try to listen to both if possible; that will make the decision for you.

Regards,
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

The 3124 has FOUR DIs.

I dont used them, but others have commented positively on those DIs for bass use.

Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Am I off base in thinking that as a bassist you'd want a DI? If so, that new rackable DAV with DI looks good.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

DI's aren't a concern. Already have the Avalon and the ADL. Grrrrr. Just wondering what option will work best for me in the long run. If I sell the Vintech, will I miss having the other color? Will the Dav's be too "clean" for rock? Sure the API's will sound fine for jazz, but for classical?

Thanks a bunch,
Jason
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

What about four API channels and four DAV channels? I currently own DAV and used to own sytek-- my opinion would generally be in line with the previous poster who has owned both-- had the sytek, good pre.. bought the DAV, sold the sytek because i needed the money and in the end the DAV just sounded better, richer, more like a finished, polished product... which i liked.
anyway, i use DAV for classical stuff all the time and it's totally clean enough for it. For maximum versatility you could even just go with two DAV channels and keep the vintech-- that way you have API, DAV and something approximating a neve sound. seems like a pretty good collection.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

oh yeah, and the DAV's aren't too clean for anything... they're not sterile or boring in any way.. at least to me. in any case, i really don't think you'll be sitting there wishing they had "more character" as you're recording overheads with them or something like that.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac
Whatever you decide, definitely pick up the API 3124. The pres are amazing and the di's are some of the best I've heard for bass.. I wouldn't worry so much about mic pre flavors (since you have the Vintech already). Maybe invest in some alternate mics, etc..
Good luck!
jrock

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search