The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massive passive too hot under GML 8200 ?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Massive passive too hot under GML 8200 ?

Hi,

I have a question.

I´m currently thinking about positioning my Massive Passive under two gml units ( 8200 + 8900) with one blank rack space between for venting.

Since I know that gmls are quite sensitive to higher temperatures (the Massive gets quite hot) I´m not sure if this placement is O.K.

some thoughts ?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Is there an open space below the MP too? The MP is an amazing eq, but it is an oven. Heat is the enemy of anything electronic. That is the golden rule. More ventilation is always better, but you don't need to go crazy. I have a space above and a space below our MP.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes - there is one blank space above and below the MP but my main concern are the sensitive parts inside of the gmls.

I mean one of the main point of why that damned gml power supply is 700 EURO seems to get the heat out of the main unit (the 8200 + 8900 both are very cool) - so it seems to be a bit crazy warming the thing up from below with a HEATING SYSTEM like the massive...???
Old 8th February 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I've had a space above and below my MP for a few years, with a Vari-Mu above it. The rack gets warm but nothing unusual has failed yet.
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Since I know that gmls are quite sensitive to higher temperatures (the Massive gets quite hot) I´m not sure if this placement is O.K.
Just curious. How do you know that?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

from the manual:

"...Integral to the superb quality of all GML products is the external power supply. No
piece of electronic equipment can operate as designed without an adequate power
supply; however, most contemporary processors do not feature a supply which can
provide clean, quiet power without unduly heating the device. The Model 8900 excels in
this respect, providing clean, quiet power for the many complex and sensitive circuits of
the Model 8900, while remaining cool and efficient..."
Old 8th February 2007
Hats off to manual readers. I've been using GMLs since 1983 and have never heard that before. Shame on me!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Never mind - in the meantime I got my answer from Jeff Warren, gml:

"
Excellent question . . .

Environmental conditions will affect the lifetime of any unit, particularly as regards heat buildup. In the case of the Model 8900, its operation is also quite heat-sensitive since the control path and VCA have significant temperature coefficients (this is a factor with nearly all compressors, incidentally). Uneven heating worsens this problem, potentially causing the alignment to drift.

The Massive Passive does generate quite a bit of heat, as you mention. What would probably be best is to have the very hot gear nearest the top of the rack with cooler units below, and possibly a few empty spaces for ventilation. Forced-air circulation may be appropriate if heat become excessive, but this introduces other variables (particularly acoustic and electronic noise)..."

so what I´ll do is to put the Massive at the top of another rack.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
so what I´ll do is to put the Massive at the top of another rack.
Just leave the space above and below it. You should be fine.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear
uhh...hmm....I've been leaving a space below mine but it is at the top of my rack. like, the very top. there is about a half ince space above that to the top of the rack. do you think its straight? it does get pretty hot but I only run it for a few hours every few weeks.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thinking about it I ´m realizing that the Massive is in fact THE hottest device in my studio - it gets crazy hot (BTW that Neve summing box which I tried last week- it was so hot that you would have burned your fingers on it...).

It does make sense putting it on the top with one blank space above & below creating an air convector.
Let´s see how it influences my heating bill...
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

i have a half rackspace above my massivo and not even a half underneath. didn´t have any heat problems nor did i even realize the massive was prone to heat. my crane song units, especially the hedd, get a lot hotter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search