The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Turn on all gear with one button or............
Old 11th May 2016
Turn on all gear with one button or............

So i just got myself a nice ups and a pair of tripplite surge suppressors and was wondering does it make a difference turning on my gear one by one or just turning my power bar switch on and off so they all shut off and turn on with that one button? Could that affect the tube life of my tube gear? I don't see how much different it is than turning off/on the gear one by one...
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by vsthalion; 11th May 2016 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

Speakers Last on and first off .. other than that .. does not matter to me ..
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

unless the speakers have a few seconds delay for power up, which all pro speakers really should have.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

my dynaudio's have it .. but i do not wish to get in that bad habit ..

just good practice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
unless the speakers have a few seconds delay for power up, which all pro speakers really should have.
Old 11th May 2016
My speakers always turn on last, but would not make a diff because the wont pop anyways since its conected to the avocet, and they have a 2 sec delay.

But is it the same as turning my power switch from my surge suppressor to turn them all of and on instead of turning them off with their own power switch?
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I always think that so many things turned on at the same time could have a bad effect one day.

I notice that my amp makes my light flash once when it's turned on sometimes.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I actually have my studio divided into different "sections" of power....that way if I'm just sketching ideas I'm not "full on powered up" with class A and tube gear going that isn't going to be used in the session.
Old 12th May 2016
Ya got it in groups as well, and stuff I just use sometimes is off. But still curious if it can cause problems like having all the faucets on and turning on the main valve at once
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Nut
inrush current can be a lot higher (x10 during some milliseconds) than nominal current.
As Long as the Network is protected with correct fuses, the only Thing that can happen is that the fuse breaks. and hopefully every unit has its own fuse too...

A softstart/stop unit can be helpful if there are Problems.

And hopefully i used the correct english words
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Of the dozens of "real" studios I've worked in over the years in both the U.S. and Australia, I can't think of any that turned things off or on one by one.
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

Each room is wired for use, generally an "All On" switch, downstream from "PCs plus Mandatory", so I can kill video monitors, big power amps, etc, for a short break, without bringing down computers.

Some rooms then are one switch, some are two. "Cold Shutdown" state depends on what lives on the sub-circuit. Unprotected speakers, big amps, delicate tubes...likely to come up second...on their individual switch...or as a group on the "Optional" switch.

Major subsystems, instrument/processor clusters, or larger racks, have their own switch.

High end outboard, own switch.

Otherwise, speed and simplicity rule.

So...Tracking Room A...two clicks gets both PCs, 4 displays, 3 racks of mid level EQ, comps, and FX up. One click would do fine, but it's wired and working, not changing now.

One click for speakers.

One for main guitar rack, one for bass, one for KBs...if they're in use today. If not, save juice.

Main Control Room, one switch for everything, though a sub switch is often used to shut off five displays.

That enables a high end outboard rack, whose power suppy requires another click. Then each four figure box in that rack gets turned on seperately.

Balance four needs...speed, equipment protection, power savings, major subsystem options, wire it that way, and forget about it from then on.

Wiring here is planned in advance. Typically, looking at a wall of gear, power and data run low and left, audio runs high and right.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I don't have that much Traffic in my studio (have another dayjob) so I am in no hurry and really enjoy switching every knob one by one... Like turning on my LA-2A and smiling and "...oh this is a wonderful piece of equipment" and then "nice, I love this eq so much, looks beautiful"....
Old 12th May 2016
Tnx for all the replies guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search