The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressor for use with AMS Neve 1073 DPA
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Compressor for use with AMS Neve 1073 DPA

Could someone recommend a relatively inexpensive compressor to use with the AMS Neve 1073 DPA for vocals. I'm looking for something which works well as a compressor/limiter but won't cheapen/taint/spoil the sound of the neve? I was thinking under $1000. Is this doable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 8th February 2007
If I were you I wouldn't spend $1000 for a compressor to use after the 1073. I would have save up 'till I had $3000 and use a good software compressor (if software's an option in this case) like Sonalksis meanwhile.
If you really would like a hardware compressor that'll fit you budget perhaps you could find used Summit Audio TLA50 or something like that.
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

I'm in a similar boat here. I'm looking at building up a high end signal chain and will be looking for a compressor to compliment the Neve 1073 too. I'm going to aim to make sure it's the right compressor regardless of price. It's gonna take a while though!!
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

my vocal chain is:

shure sm7b > neve 1073dpa > eli distressor > apogee rosetta 800

i like it (mostly hiphop recording). worth a listen.
Old 9th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. I probably will save a bit more for a more expensive compressor. I have 3 in mind, neve portico 5043, ELI distressor or the Drawmer 1968 (which as i'm in the UK can get the Drawmer 1968 at a much better price than the other 2). The neve 5043 and the Drawmer 1968 i'm favoring towards as they are two channel so i could use them for more things as well as just vocals. I can't afford 2 distressors. The Neve 5043 would be the one i want the most but it's £1,463 whereas the Drawmer 1968 is only £900. Any thoughts on my thoughts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search