The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help needed with my pre md7's Condenser Microphones
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Help needed with my pre md7's

Hey guys, need some help.. So I got a brand new radial workhorse with summing mixer 2 avedis md7 on slot 1 and 2 going into my burl b2 bomber adc.. All brand new all mogami gold cables... So on the md7's I got the line disengaged and phantom turned on... My input is xlr in and output xlr out into burl adc and via AES Into my ULN8...
So for me to get -12 db gain to show up in the burl and my daw I have to turn my trim pot all the way to the end and my gain pod turned to +56 db on some mics on others I need +52 and well my noise floor goes up of course..

Am I doing something wrong? Or this is an acceptable amount of gain that needs to be set for this kinda loudness?
Tested different mics different cables....
Please chime in..

All of my condenser and Ribon mics are Michael Joly mics..

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
I'm wondering if any of you are using different 500 chassis with louder results on md7's
Old 10th May 2016
The Trim (Red Knob) Should be all the way up and the grey knob should bring up level. The line button is not pressed correct?
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
The Trim (Red Knob) Should be all the way up and the grey knob should bring up level. The line button is not pressed correct?
Correct!
Old 10th May 2016
I'm betting its the workhorse
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The volume is too low?
At +52 gain my burl reads -12 db
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Ribon mic needs +56 to get -12 Shure ksm27 is the only one that is+46
Old 10th May 2016
Something isn't right and I am thinking something isn't right with the work horse.
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Yup... My sentiment exactly.. Di's work great with keys and guitars.. So are the trs inputs... It's the xlr's with mics that are dang too low... What box are you using ur md7's in?
Old 10th May 2016
BAE

And Fredenstien. So when you go in the xlr input are you going out of the xlr out directly below it on the back of the work horse? Are the "feed" switches turned off? If not make sure your grey knob on the md7 is all the way down just in case you get a loud boost when switched the feed
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
BAE

And Fredenstien. So when you go in the xlr input are you going out of the xlr out directly below it on the back of the work horse? Are the "feed" switches turned off? If not make sure your grey knob on the md7 is all the way down just in case you get a loud boost when switched the feed
oh brother.. I have two of md7's yes the line is disengaged and yes I'm going xlr in and xlr out they're right next to each other.. Feed and link is off, clicked it on and off just in case.. Also tried different slots in the radial same results
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Ok I think I got it under control.. First off. I had my trs cables installed while I had the xlr input in as well.. Not sure if this was the case but as soon as I took out the trs cables I was able to drive my condensers up to 0 with the trim pod all the way up and gain set to +40
That sounds a lot better than 56!

Then for a good measure I installed my obsidian that showed up today and couldn't stop smiling .
My Shure sm58 still needs to be driven up to 52 to get to 0 does that sound about right?

What's really odd is my Michael Joly MJ LR-44 (ribbon mic) needs to be driven to 60 to get to 0.. Is 20 db difference normal or should I have a chat with mr jolly?

Thx for ur help nu-tra
Old 10th May 2016
Something still seems weird. I miss my obsidian
Old 10th May 2016
Call Avedis audio and maybe they can help sort it out
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Call Avedis audio and maybe they can help sort it out
What sounds weird?the dynamic mic portion?
Old 10th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzhuravel View Post
What sounds weird?the dynamic mic portion?
The gain setting still seems high
Old 15th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The gain setting still seems high
Oookay so the problem is now rectified, here's the piece of information that I acquired during my search.. So radial workhorse with summing mixer has this built in pad... Because it had triple input if you have more input than one plugged in, your output will be padded.. Just like I had my trs cable accidentally plugged in and after removal of it from the jack my md7's got quite a bit louder but not loud enough (too much gain needed) what I completely didn't think of is that I had a dsub to summing mixer plugged in as well and that is considered as an input as well, after talking to radial they told me that you need to treat summing mixer and 500 series like two completely separate boxes... Unless you have lets say 8 radial preamps installed they automatically get multed onto the summing mixer where you can adjust volume and pan and have a output dsub back into ur I/O, other then that u can not have anything on the dsub input summing or otherwise (radial has two dsub inputs) if you want to have an xlr cable jacked into your preamp... Now that everything is unplugged besides the input cable my gain needs to be driven 32-36db for condencer mic 48-52 for carotid and Ribon mics... Depending on the mic it's a bit louder a lot quieter but this is the new norm.. Also loaned a Rupert neve designes r6 rack and my md7's have exactly the same gain specs as on radial (love RND rack it has a power button and tells u how much juice ur modules use) and triple connection as well!

Am I now in the norm?
Old 15th May 2016
Yep! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzhuravel View Post
Oookay so the problem is now rectified, here's the piece of information that I acquired during my search.. So radial workhorse with summing mixer has this built in pad... Because it had triple input if you have more input than one plugged in, your output will be padded.. Just like I had my trs cable accidentally plugged in and after removal of it from the jack my md7's got quite a bit louder but not loud enough (too much gain needed) what I completely didn't think of is that I had a dsub to summing mixer plugged in as well and that is considered as an input as well, after talking to radial they told me that you need to treat summing mixer and 500 series like two completely separate boxes... Unless you have lets say 8 radial preamps installed they automatically get multed onto the summing mixer where you can adjust volume and pan and have a output dsub back into ur I/O, other then that u can not have anything on the dsub input summing or otherwise (radial has two dsub inputs) if you want to have an xlr cable jacked into your preamp... Now that everything is unplugged besides the input cable my gain needs to be driven 32-36db for condencer mic 48-52 for carotid and Ribon mics... Depending on the mic it's a bit louder a lot quieter but this is the new norm.. Also loaned a Rupert neve designes r6 rack and my md7's have exactly the same gain specs as on radial (love RND rack it has a power button and tells u how much juice ur modules use) and triple connection as well!

Am I now in the norm?
Old 15th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yep! Congrats!
Thank u for being presistant nu-tra.. Ur cartoids require just as much gain?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search