The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compact line submixers Mixers (Analog)
Old 9th May 2016
Compact line submixers

I'm considering adding a few submixers to my studio. I have a lot of synths, drum machines, and outboard, and rather than patch all the time and decide what gets normaled and what doesn't, I want to set up a few submix zones so everything is always connected. Then when I'm tracking I can decide what to bring out on its own channel to patch in to the mixer.

Is this a good plan? I've found a few 1U rack line mixers that look good, like the Speck model. I'm not sure I want to spend that much, though. What other options are out there?
Old 9th May 2016
Lives for gear

Not really a high end subject. You would probably get more answers in the general "So Much Time" section for future reference.

My recomendation for these type of needs is looking for a clean used Samson MPL2242 mixer for under $200 (it's rack mountable). Manual can be found for free online to see it's options / signal flow. You can leave a lot of things plugged in, sounds decent, 4 busses, 4 band EQ, and auxes. Worth the cost / effort to kick it's tires and minimal loss if you decide to resell (probably just shipping costs).
Old 9th May 2016
Re: not high-end, got it thanks for the tip.

I was thinking something like the Speck X.Sum looks nice. I'd need a couple of them I guess.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Yes I know, talking about a $2k unit would seem to belong in the "High End" but you are really asking about best options for leaving a lot of gear connected which has many good inexpensive solutions. Thus the general forum where there is more traffic would net better results (my opinion).

Spending $4k on two Speck units is a lot of money for the ability to leave hardware synths / drum machines plugged in. If you want super high quality along with plenty of I/O and features then look at a mid range used analog mixer now selling for 10 cents on the dollar (plenty of threads on these). Remember there are $40k original price mixers now going for that same $4K with smart shopping. That decent sounding Samson rack mixer I mentioned above will allow 11 stereo sources plugged into it's input strips (6 stereo + 10 mono channels - just hard pan two adjacent mono strips to make a stereo strip) with many features vs. the bare featured 16 stereo source input of the Speck at ten times the cost.

Frankly leaving a synth plugged into a regular mixer allows you to get it's sound right before conversion via EQ and effects / dynamic processing. Having that mixer postioned next to the synths so the end user can dial in tone / processing can be very creative and fast too. If you need lots of inputs and want to save some space, grabbing a couple Samson's and putting them at the synths / drum machines will cut it. Although you said that you are not looking for patchbay solutions, there are good inexpensive options down that road too. Keep the extra money in your pocket or use it where it will make more of a difference.

Many Home guys place too high a premium on the marketing idea that they need the smallest unit available (in this case just 2 rack spaces with two Specks) vs. having a larger but vastly more functional / practical full mixer.
Old 10th May 2016
My fave by far is the Peavey "Valvevex" 6 channel 1RU mixer. All tube, smooth and quiet.
Rare, but worth finding. Good tubes, caps and power supply work make them first rate.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
My fave by far is the Peavey "Valvevex" 6 channel 1RU mixer. All tube, smooth and quiet.
Rare, but worth finding. Good tubes, caps and power supply work make them first rate.
I 2nd that emotion. Great price too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search