The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to implement outboard into API 1608 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Nut

Best way to implement outboard into API 1608

I took delivery of a new 1608 last month. I'm wondering what's the best way to hook up my outboard eq's, mic pre's and compressors to the console without using my patchybay. I'm trying to get away from it and prefer to do the patching behind on the console. Can someone give me the best way to do it? Should I come out of the gear, into the line in of the channels, or inserts? I want to be able to make a chain, using just the inserts and inputs on the console. Your help is appreciated!

K
Old 9th May 2016
Lives for gear

Silly not to use the patch bay
Cables are expensive but it's worth it for the flexibility

Otherwise external preamps into line ins and out board on inserts or busses
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Guru

spending all the money on a fancy new 1608 and not getting a patchbay involved for all your outboard is a waste.
all the flexible routing,auxes and busses-kinda half measures.
its a powerfull little mixer.
Old 9th May 2016
Lives for gear

i'd have to agree with mr badge..

I'm sure once you start really using all the functions of the console
which is the point of it, it will make more sense to reintroduce the bay..

Best of luck - nice the 1608 (just don't slam the mixbus)..
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
spending all the money on a fancy new 1608 and not getting a patchbay involved for all your outboard is a waste.
all the flexible routing,auxes and busses-kinda half measures.
its a powerfull little mixer.
I've had a 96 TT patch bay for years, and still have it with my small amount of outboard gear, which is no more than 5 or 6 pieces. Because of the small amount, I thought it would be easier to put everything on the board. I guess there's no way around it, if I desire to be fully flexible. I'm not recording a band or vocals right now, so I don't need everything going into my patchbay.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to implement outboard into API 1608-img_3125.jpg  
Old 9th May 2016
Customize the setup to your needs. That's how it works with the "hardwired" vibe.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark830 View Post
I've had a 96 TT patch bay for years, and still have it with my small amount of outboard gear, which is no more than 5 or 6 pieces. Because of the small amount, I thought it would be easier to put everything on the board. I guess there's no way around it, if I desire to be fully flexible. I'm not recording a band or vocals right now, so I don't need everything going into my patchbay.
its a tough call recommending a setup.I do things differently every day.
I suppose you could put any effects on your auxes and comps,eqs on busses.
still seems like an awkward use of a 1608.. imo.
every time you want to do a channel insert or change something like daisy chaining boxes or parallel processing your behind the thing re-patching..kind of a strange way to work.
it'd drive me insane and probably the people i work with away too lol.
back n forth tracking/mixing,I'm changing stuff at the patchbay 6-10 times a day.
I have 6 full Audio Accessories tt bays and could use a couple more.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
its a tough call recommending a setup.I do things differently every day.
I suppose you could put any effects on your auxes and comps,eqs on busses.
still seems like an awkward use of a 1608.. imo.
every time you want to do a channel insert or change something like daisy chaining boxes or parallel processing your behind the thing re-patching..kind of a strange way to work.
it'd drive me insane and probably the people i work with away too lol.
back n forth tracking/mixing,I'm changing stuff at the patchbay 6-10 times a day.
I have 6 full Audio Accessories tt bays and could use a couple more.
It's my own personal studio, so no hassles with clients or anything. I do have my outboard effects on auxes. I wanted to be able to utilize the eq's and compressors on the daw return channels going into the mixer. I guess I can't get around using the patchbay. Thanks for the reply!
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark830 View Post
It's my own personal studio, so no hassles with clients or anything. I do have my outboard effects on auxes. I wanted to be able to utilize the eq's and compressors on the daw return channels going into the mixer. I guess I can't get around using the patchbay. Thanks for the reply!
cool.glad to help.
enjoy.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a 1608, personally I have comps on the busses, and have certain pieces of outboard fixed to the inserts on certain channels so that I don't have to use a patch bay - you just have to plan your outputs a bit more careful from the DAW. I'm often recalling multiple mixes a day to speed is very important to me.

If you have easy access to the rear of your console, and are only making very occasional changes then it maybe that you dont actually need a patchbay right now, spend a few more months nailing your workflow and then you can get a patchbay for the sections of the desk you need when you need it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search