The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market DJ Controllers
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market

Hi there.

I've been offered to buy a Neve 33609, the one with only one screw on each side.

Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market-dscn6660.jpg   Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market-dscn6661.jpg   Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market-dscn6662.jpg   Neve 33609 Vintage Price Market-dscn6673.jpg  
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

6-7k maybe? Unless price has gone up in the last few years
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Plastic knobs? Rev b?
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

I'm not a expert but it look like a 83046. This is two 2264 cards if I'm right.
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Actually I can't remember but I think mine has Marinair labeled clearly on the transformer.
Guess we need to wait for Geoff to chime in.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hi

After all these decades I don't recall issue numbers but the unit shown, from the photos provided, looks like the metal knob version with NAD plastic knobs fitted.

The clues to me are the locking ac on/off switch (chosen for its small body size and pinched off the 33600/33605) and filament bulb indicator and fuse (also from those power supplies) and the 33314 motherboard (NOT 2264) where you can see the Varicon connectors went.

The first ones had XLRLNE ac input connectors and a wafer type voltage selector with screwdriver slotted end. This then went to EP4 (or was it the other way around?) and finally the common IEC type.

The C type put the mockers on it when they went with a custom motherboard with Belclere transformers...

I ran the Special Orders department back then and the LCR2P (2254's in a rack with a 1777 PSU) was the main stand alone rack mounted compressor available.

I was instructed to make 4 compressors (33609, 10, 11 AND 12) with mono and stereo versions and ac 120/240v and 24v dc versions in a common 2U case. The bummer was that I was only allowed to use parts already in the stores so no new improvements like neon rocker switches or IC regulators, and it used the ancient power supply out of the 1777 including the amphenol connector and 2N3055 on a heatsink.

Once released I begged the standards committee to let me update it but they refused saying it would change the sound.... an IC regulator would certainly improve the noise floor and a neon rocker was cents compared to that toggle switch, etc., but there was no changing them.

After I left in Dec 1985 they brought out the /C with most of the improvements I had asked for....

As a special project though, I made a 19" x 1U 33615 with a LED gain reduction meter... they are super rare... and it used an IC regulator and a neon rocker switch!

Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

After all these decades I don't recall issue numbers but the unit shown, from the photos provided, looks like the metal knob version with NAD plastic knobs fitted.

The clues to me are the locking ac on/off switch (chosen for its small body size and pinched off the 33600/33605) and filament bulb indicator and fuse (also from those power supplies) and the 33314 motherboard (NOT 2264) where you can see the Varicon connectors went.

The first ones had XLRLNE ac input connectors and a wafer type voltage selector with screwdriver slotted end. This then went to EP4 (or was it the other way around?) and finally the common IEC type.

The C type put the mockers on it when they went with a custom motherboard with Belclere transformers...

I ran the Special Orders department back then and the LCR2P (2254's in a rack with a 1777 PSU) was the main stand alone rack mounted compressor available.

I was instructed to make 4 compressors (33609, 10, 11 AND 12) with mono and stereo versions and ac 120/240v and 24v dc versions in a common 2U case. The bummer was that I was only allowed to use parts already in the stores so no new improvements like neon rocker switches or IC regulators, and it used the ancient power supply out of the 1777 including the amphenol connector and 2N3055 on a heatsink.

Once released I begged the standards committee to let me update it but they refused saying it would change the sound.... an IC regulator would certainly improve the noise floor and a neon rocker was cents compared to that toggle switch, etc., but there was no changing them.

After I left in Dec 1985 they brought out the /C with most of the improvements I had asked for....

As a special project though, I made a 19" x 1U 33615 with a LED gain reduction meter... they are super rare... and it used an IC regulator and a neon rocker switch!

You Sir.....are simply living History and Stunning recall! Imagine that knowledge written in a paid for engineers Neve guide book, amazing Geoff, amazing! You are a living treasure!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Maniac

The led meters on the 33615 are looking cool. Distressors used the same design 10 years later. Id love a few of those. '15s. Current aurora ones.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search