The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Websites to buy used ssl's?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Websites to buy used ssl's?

Hello everyone. I am in the market to purchase a used ssl and was wondering if anyone had any websites to look at other than vintage king and usedssl.com?

Thank You.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

primalgear.com
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagearho View Post
Hello everyone. I am in the market to purchase a used ssl and was wondering if anyone had any websites to look at other than vintage king and usedssl.com?

Thank You.
Do you trust everyone in order to spend more than $80000 on a used console?
I think there are just a few options and the best is VK, they have a couple of SSL's right now at great prices and with full guaranty, don't commit suicide!!

Good luck.

Armando Avila.
Old 8th February 2007
One of the best sources IMO is Funky Junk www.proaudioeurope.com.
But then you have the problem of the console being located in the UK.
They are becoming quite cheap however.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for Jesus

Find one from a studio that is selling one,...... you will save $$.$$$$

Just because a broker is selling a desk doesn't mean it is in perfect working order and most of them will only clean it up an dust it off unless you pay more.,....

i would rather pay someone who works on these desks every week to do the repairs..... actually i would rather do it myself.

and yes there will be repairs or maintence needed no mater what desk you get.

it might take some time but you can find one from an individual owner.

Just make sure you have a tech check it out ! even if you get it from a broker, especially if you get it from a broker. plus these guys ALL list the same desks. its rare that they have it.

Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Find one from a studio that is selling one,...... you will save $$.$$$$

Just because a broker is selling a desk doesn't mean it is in perfect working order and most of them will only clean it up an dust it off unless you pay more.,....

i would rather pay someone who works on these desks every week to do the repairs..... actually i would rather do it myself.

and yes there will be repairs or maintence needed no mater what desk you get.

it might take some time but you can find one from an individual owner.

Just make sure you have a tech check it out ! even if you get it from a broker, especially if you get it from a broker. plus these guys ALL list the same desks. its rare that they have it.

If the broker is VK I would feel safe, because I know they don't sell anything without checking it first, they also have people with all the knowledge to decomission and comission the console.
If you buy from a studio you gonna save some money but then you gonna spend that same money refurbishing it.

Good luck.

Armando Avila
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

At usedssl.com, you buy consoles one of two ways: as is or completely refurbished with a 1 year warranty. Honestly, it's worth having the console refurbished with a warranty, that way is something happens with it, you're covered. For a while, they worked very closely with SSL and were the only company that sold certified pre-owned SSL's.

Last edited by T- Funk Ian; 8th February 2007 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: might be viewed as one sided
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken USA View Post
At usedssl.com, you buy consoles one of two ways: as is or completely refurbished with a 1 year warranty. Honestly, it's worth having the console refurbished with a warranty, that way is something happens with it, you're covered. For a while, they worked very closely with SSL and were the only company that sold certified pre-owned SSL's.
That is Pro Audio Design, one week ago people from SSL told me that SSL stop supporting PAD because...mmm I can't speak about that, but I also know a lot of awfull stories from those guys, beware.
The link you posted above is not working anymore, believe me, since 4 for months ago, I know a LOT about used ssl's.

Best regards.

Armando.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
That is Pro Audio Design, one week ago people from SSL told me that SSL stop supporting PAD because...mmm I can't speak about that, but I also know a lot of awfull stories from those guys, beware.

Best regards.

Armando.
I am well of aware of the situation between them and SSL. Consoles from them, if they have them in stock, are generally a good buy.
Old 8th February 2007

i don't own a ssl - and can't speak about the other vendors - but i can say that Vintage King is a good company with integrity and cool people.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
If you buy from a studio you gonna save some money but then you gonna spend that same money refurbishing it.

Good luck.

Armando Avila
Plus the HUGE commission the broker will charge the seller,.. and that price is translated to you.

As far as broker referburshing........ its your call, i would rather go to a studio and have a tech do a report on the desk while its still in use and then have a local tech do the work at its new location.

course if you live in Iowa that might not be possible....

Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all your responces. I have talked to both usedssl.com and vintage king and was happy with both of their service, but I am convinced there are other reputable places to get a ssl. The hunt continues!
Old 11th February 2007
Here for the gear

Used SSL

Hey, you might also talk to the guys at DeskDector. (www.deskdoctor.com) They are the go-to guys on the west coast for SSL’s. We bought our G+ in a private sale from a defunct studio in Anaheim and had them look at it before we completed the deal. We got an excellent dead-on assessment of the desk and great advise on de-commissioning and moving.

Since they work on and know so many SSL’s they might have a line on a private sale deal of an excellent desk. As you probably know, there are a lot of very used-up consoles out there (few people sent all the $$$ on one and use it lightly). The cost of a first-rate refurb job is very expensive. You don’t want get yourself in a position of buying a console that seemed like a good deal at the time only find out you need a re-switch and/or re-cap job a year or two later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search