The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo/Bus Compressor
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

Stereo/Bus Compressor

Hi,

I have an API 2500, which I love for the more straight foreward stuff and and a TubeTech LCA2B for stereo and bus compression. The TubeTech works sometimes ok, but I am looking for something more useful to complement the API for the acoustic/jazzy/experimental/electronic side. Could you please recommend something from your experience.

Thank you
field
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by field View Post
Hi,

I have an API 2500, which I love for the more straight foreward stuff and and a TubeTech LCA2B for stereo and bus compression. The TubeTech works sometimes ok, but I am looking for something more useful to complement the API for the acoustic/jazzy/experimental/electronic side. Could you please recommend something from your experience.

Thank you
field
Gyraf G22
smooth creamy sound,
lots of options (dual mono, stereo, ms mode, sidechain hpf, input/ output for some gentle saturation).
Big bang for the buck.

Best
Tom
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
field
Shame you can't recycle posts anymore though I'd say get your food groups covered, Diode back 33609, 2254 Neve, SSL type or Smart and the 2500 in feed fwd or back mode, the Tube Tech is a great unit, and Vari Mu or Opto etc, once you've got all the groups locked down, esoteric type comps that do one or two things really well become a touch more important.

As always these boards can tell you everything from Audio Fads to new products etc and that's great, though in the end You....need to hear, play and decide for yourself what works it's so important you hear the effects of the compression!

So I'd say

Neve type 33609/2254/2264
SSL or Smart Research
Manley, or Tube Tech Vari Mu
API 2500 can take a year or more to settle into though great comp!
An Opto that you feel compliments and makes sure you've got near every colour at your finger tips!

This can be an expensive and gruelling journey as so much product exits again so apart from the 1176 and other type stuff, I'd lock in the main colours as quickly as possible ad if you can get great S/H deals...go for it, though it must be your own ears, mine and others recommendations are simply that!

Good luck
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear
Foote P4s Plus
Qes Labs Variable Gm
Old 8th May 2016
Here for the gear

Thankx a lot,

I will travel the long way....
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

+1 anything Foote really. My P3ex always make me smile.
Old 10th May 2016
Quote:
I am looking for something more useful to complement the API for the acoustic/jazzy/experimental/electronic side
Check out the Sebatron SMAC compressor.
It does all of that plus more.
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Nut
Roll Music Super Stereo - felt the highs were slightly watery on the API 2500 and preferred the sound of the Roll Music.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

If you like the API 2500 for the straight foreward and punchy stuff and want to complement it I'd recommend an opto comp over another vca. From personal experience it worked well with a Tube-Tech SMC-2BM which is an opto and on the slower side, making things round, big and open. Though I don't have the API anymore you can cover a lot of needs with this combo.
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd go either with a Foote P3S or a ADT TM222 without a doubt !
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

I have a Foote fetish.

P3S Bus Comp and P4S.
Old 10th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I have a Foote fetish.

P3S Bus Comp and P4S.
As do I - Foote P4S here, couldn't be happier, just sounds good 100% of the time.
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Addict

SHMC and or Obsidian

covers lots of ground very well
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frow3n View Post
Roll Music Super Stereo - felt the highs were slightly watery on the API 2500 and preferred the sound of the Roll Music.
Wow...for me....the Roll and Chameleon SSL type emulation hardware compressors were a Huge Fail compared to the main 3 Big Players in VCA Master Buss Insert control etc, just my experience though the 2500 is amazing you've got to live with it for 6-8 months to truly gets its MOJO it's no instant fix!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Wow...for me....the Roll and Chameleon SSL type emulation hardware compressors were a Huge Fail compared to the main 3 Big Players in VCA Master Buss Insert control etc, just my experience though the 2500 is amazing you've got to live with it for 6-8 months to truly gets its MOJO it's no instant fix!
True, the API 2500 was the next closest thing I wanted for my mixes but the roll was better for my sound and it was cheaper! (which I know is something that should never be taken into account in High End)
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frow3n View Post
True, the API 2500 was the next closest thing I wanted for my mixes but the roll was better for my sound and it was cheaper! (which I know is something that should never be taken into account in High End)
Hey? If it's working...,who cares I mean your recordings so if they sound great, faaark others, high end or not, valid is valid, just wish I could say they worked for me though nope!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for something more useful to complement the API for the acoustic/jazzy/experimental/electronic side. Could you please recommend something from your experience.

field
For these genres i strongly recommend checking out what Elysia has to offer. I use an Xpressor since many years, it's extremely versatile.
Very low ratios are possible (1.2:1), and in combination with the Gain Reduction Limiter it's possible to compress lower (in volume) parts of a piece without completely smashing the loud parts. 'Auto fast' is useful, too.

It's a comparatively clean box, though. But great, if you like compression that glues stuff together without sounding compressed.

And very cheap. If you can spend a little more have a look at the Mpressor...
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear
On German ebay theres this Maly ssl G clone. Very fine of an equipment for electorinic music i must say. I also have APi2500(on drum bus) and Maly snap on the 2bus. Happy times
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
field
Given your music and if It were me and you have the solid state API... I would go with a tube and probably a Variable Mu either the Manly or my personal choice the Tubecore 3U Mastering Edition from IGS with added bonus the tubs changeable and accessible from the back (no opening the box required )
Old 11th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
For these genres i strongly recommend checking out what Elysia has to offer. I use an Xpressor since many years, it's extremely versatile.
Very low ratios are possible (1.2:1), and in combination with the Gain Reduction Limiter it's possible to compress lower (in volume) parts of a piece without completely smashing the loud parts. 'Auto fast' is useful, too.

It's a comparatively clean box, though. But great, if you like compression that glues stuff together without sounding compressed.

And very cheap. If you can spend a little more have a look at the Mpressor...
I agree with everything written above. That's exactly how i use the Xpressor with it's GRL used not to compress the loud parts. I don't know of any other compressor that has this function. I do mostly Jazzy stuff myself. It is clean but you can add mojo using other gear in the chain. And best of all it's not expensive at all but sounds amazing.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Head

Field, I see you're in Europe and would definitely check out the Funky Junk France Solid Compressor. I stopped by their shop when visiting Paris recently and they gave me a quick demo and the box is simply awesome. I love SSL buss compression, and this shares a number of original SSL components with some cool features.
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
It's got the gold can VCA, looks cool!
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear
Daking FET III Stereo Bus Compressor/Limiter
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Addict

I really like the Thermionic Culture Phoenix for the applications you mentioned.
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Addict

Manley Vari Mu for one tube option for lush or as a Diode Bridge type the Buzz DBC-20 can get great mid range tone, really nice for electronic stuff
Old 15th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
I agree with everything written above. That's exactly how i use the Xpressor with it's GRL used not to compress the loud parts. I don't know of any other compressor that has this function. I do mostly Jazzy stuff myself. It is clean but you can add mojo using other gear in the chain. And best of all it's not expensive at all but sounds amazing.
Interesting, and worth a look. Is the Xpressor a VCA design? You said its clean. Would that mean (assuming it is VCA) that it doesn't add that shiny effect which a lot of VCAs seem to impart?
Old 16th May 2016
I'm now ABt 2 weeks with my obsidian and cannot imagine myself without it. Any genre I throw at it, it handles it without a sweat. And give me that glue I need.Best 2 buss compressor I have tried. Although I haven't tried the rnd mbp2 ,but from what I've tried the obsidian is hard to beat! I preferred it to the ssl 500 compressor.
But a lot of great suggestions here though!
Old 16th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
Interesting, and worth a look. Is the Xpressor a VCA design? You said its clean. Would that mean (assuming it is VCA) that it doesn't add that shiny effect which a lot of VCAs seem to impart?
Yes it is a VCA.

I don't have a lot of experience with other VCA's (my other comp is a LA2A). It does have an 'warm' button, although i don't use it myself. I like it as it doesn't to my ears add any colour to the mix. I personally add that further on in the chain if i need it.

Keith.
Old 16th May 2016
Gear Guru

The RND 5043 is a fantastic utility compressor. Also, the Elysia Xpressor is getting plenty of love around here lately. The GRL and mix knobs on the EX are really handy.

I'd really love a second APA Leviathan. It starts off with all the usual opto stuff, and goes on to become a totally sexy curve shaper, but stays real clean when you dig deep. I don't understand why more people don't have this unit. It's outrageous what it can do.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

my Manley Vari Mu (all the mods) seems to sound great on everything. I set it for slow attack and release so the only time it really has mix bus problems is if a really loud transient hits it at the top of the song. but if its already compressing you can smack it with transients all day and it will just kind of ebb and flow with the music. I dont do much jazz but i do enough different genre's to know it almost always works. the UAD Manley Vari Mu plugin is also a great choice if you are on a small budget
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search