The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Highland Dynamics BG2 vs Lisson Grove ar-1
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Highland Dynamics BG2 vs Lisson Grove ar-1

Was wondering if anyone out there has experience with both and can comment on
their similarities and differences in sound.
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Maybe [email protected] can help you, I'm not sure if he's used the HG2. But I know he has experience with pretty much every other Vari-Mu in the same vein that's out there.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Guru

had a pair of lissons here,they had a nice vibe and just driving the line amps sounded cool but wasn't too compelled to buy them..expensive too.
Bryce makes cool stuff and was involved w/ the Lissons early build.everyone I know who uses the BG's loves them..more versatile too.
have you tried the Chandler RS124's?
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
I haven't tried any of these compressors. i've only listened to the the demos and what others have said about them individually. What i've read of the lisson grove
is that it can deliver a vintage, early stones-ish vibe. I listened to it used on the vocals on a few pop albums and it did seem to have a vintage sound, although I'm sure
there was a chain of other gear/plugins etc used so it's hard to tell. What I'd like to know is if the BG2 can also deliver a similar vibe as the lisson grove, as it is less expensive.
Old 10th May 2016
SEED78
I'd love to hear Chandler vs BG2 - although he BG2 has the optional RCA BA6A vibe as well as RS vibe, so you'd expect it to be the winner. Bryce has done so many RS related builds i can't imagine the BG2 could be anything other than impressive.

I'm saving for one - now!
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I'd love to hear Chandler vs BG2 - although he BG2 has the optional RCA BA6A vibe as well as RS vibe, so you'd expect it to be the winner. Bryce has done so many RS related builds i can't imagine the BG2 could be anything other than impressive.
That's what I was thinking. I've been saving for the lisson for the last 6 months and then I ran across the BG2 and was like hmmmm...this looks like it may have the same mojo as the lisson and then some. Now I'm really interested in the BG2.
We'll see....
Old 10th May 2016
SEED78
am sure either would be totally awesome - I heard some great Lisson samples, was just thinking the BG2 might have that extra funk factor.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:

I'm saving for one - now!
I just got a bg2 in for demo.
Testing I Think it will give my Sta level a run for the money.
But Imo still different to the Sta and the RS124.
I think the RS pushes/features the mids more which is awesome for getting bass and drums to pop.
They're different enough to where It'd be cool to have both for sure.
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
that sounds great! did you get a chance to try on vocals?
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
that sounds great! did you get a chance to try on vocals?
Not yet
Will do
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Maniac
I have demoed the BG2's and have a Sta Level, 175B, etc, and used to own a BA-6a. The BG2 shares a similar output stage with the BA6a (and Sta). If memory serves, I think the BA6a was a little more dense and gooey but the BG2 was still flavorful and far more useable on more sources. The compression characteristic is more even (in a good way) than was my BA6a.

The "British" mode was actually pretty clean while the American mode along with the 150ohm setting brought some hair out of it. The BG2 was certainly nice on voices but I really liked it most on guitars (acoustic and electric) and bass.

The BG2 can also be used a s a mic pre! Set it to the 150ohm position and turn it up!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
The BG2 can also be used a s a mic pre! Set it to the 150ohm position and turn it up!
Wow! More and more intrigued by this unit. I'm wondering how this will pair up with a UA-610 or an old Ampex 601?
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
Great info!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

one thing I really like about the 124 the others don't have is the "fuse" mode.
just shot out files w/ the BG2 against an old BA6A..hitting both really hard the RCA can do more pump/bloom slam on drums.the BG2 feels a bit more polite,high fi.
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
one thing I really like about the 124 the others don't have is the "fuse" mode.
just shot out files w/ the BG2 against an old BA6A..hitting both really hard the RCA can do more pump/bloom slam on drums.the BG2 feels a bit more polite,high fi.
Isn't there a feature on the BG2 that adds distortion?

fuse mode on the Chandler does sound good - really like demo's I've heard.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Isn't there a feature on the BG2 that adds distortion?

fuse mode on the Chandler does sound good - really like demo's I've heard.
you can get the BG to distort.but its a bit different from the fuse mode.
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
I'll have to read up on Superfuse mode and figure out if its a better feature for me.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'll have to read up on Superfuse mode and figure out if its a better feature for me.
Demo everything.
For as long as possible.
Then buy everything.
Old 11th May 2016
SEED78
In london I might be able to demo Chandler/Lisson/Retro offerings, but not a BG2. thats why I'm lurking on these threads - the BG2 really interests me, seem one of the more versatile options.

The BG2 is miles cheaper than the Chandler for me even once you include shipping and customs to get it to the UK, min £500 cheaper. Cheaper doesn't obviously equal 'better' for the sound I want to get... but something I need to bare in mind.

having said that I could get a ex-demo Chandler or Lisson if I wait long enough, these things always turn up when I want them to!
Old 11th May 2016
I need to try these boxes out pronto….they are right up my alley
crank em and walk away feeling like a hero...
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

The BG2 is presently my only compressor other than a Foote P4 (its counter balance).
What it offers for all guitar tracks is imo impressive. Vocals too, but almost everything here gets a touch (or much more) of it.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Guru

I believe the new Alicia Keyes single is generously slathered w Rs124.
Maserati is a big fan.Has a pair.
Vocals fo sho
Old 12th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
The BG2 is presently my only compressor other than a Foote P4 (its counter balance).
What it offers for all guitar tracks is imo impressive. Vocals too, but almost everything here gets a touch (or much more) of it.
My only other comp currently is a P4, good to hear someone else finds it distinct enough to be worth it in contrast to the P4.

The Chandler seems/sounds awesome too, tough call on which to get...
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Do you think it would be a decent first outboard compressor buy? I'm strongly considering saving for the bg2 but also looking at fet comps right now. Just kind of want something I can use on everything that's not a plug.
Old 12th May 2016
SEED78
Anyone who knows the Lisson/Chandler/BG2 used the Locomotive 14b compressor?
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It makes the box more aggressive. Like the box drank a couple extra cappuccinos.

Technically I think it speeds up some of the time constants. I should probably be more judicious with it but I pretty much leave my Chandler in SuperFuse mode all the time (tracking vocals). Love the sound.
Old 12th May 2016
SEED78
I like aggressive options on compressors. Sounds like a winner!
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjharris View Post
Do you think it would be a decent first outboard compressor buy? I'm strongly considering saving for the bg2 but also looking at fet comps right now. Just kind of want something I can use on everything that's not a plug.

I think it would be a VERY worthy 1st compressor buy.
That said, I haven't heard the Chandler which is seemingly the other one to also give some consideration at that price point.
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear
Without high jacking the thread and since the compressor is in a similar vein I would suggest you take a look at the Qes Labs Variable Gm. There is a thread here where it can be heard amongst many "vari mu" type comps and is one of the favorites. It is also 2 channels so thers is that advantage as well. I took the plunge and boy am I glad I did.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I think it would be a VERY worthy 1st compressor buy.
That said, I haven't heard the Chandler which is seemingly the other one to also give some consideration at that price point.
Chet- you mentioned it's great on guitars...did you mean acoustic guitars?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search