The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Highland Dynamics BG2 vs Lisson Grove ar-1 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 22nd May 2017
AB3
Lives for gear

Well - if it meet this description, it is a must try for me. BTW, I was surprise to find that the locomotive 2 channel pre could be described the same way - but I do not know about their comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I would say it has some weight and heft, really creamy tone. Harmonic and rich.
gonna do a demo video with the one I got here very soon,
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
damn, just read up on the U33, another compressor to think about!
Old thread, I know, but anyone compare the BG2 or RS124 and the Old World Audio U33?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

So, some time has passed since this thread came about... any more thoughts on the BG2?
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
So, some time has passed since this thread came about... any more thoughts on the BG2?
#1 vx tracking comp here
Have 2 alongside Unfairchild which is good for vx too.
Sold retro sta and 176
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
#1 vx tracking comp here
Have 2 alongside Unfairchild which is good for vx too.
Sold retro sta and 176
Thanks Hunter. Been talking with Bryce about a custom 3 channel to sit on the subgroup buss right before the Presto 3 track... in the old days it would have been 3 RCA BA6A’s... but I’m not having much luck finding those. lol

Ever use them on the two buss for fun?
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Thanks Hunter. Been talking with Bryce about a custom 3 channel to sit on the subgroup buss right before the Presto 3 track... in the old days it would have been 3 RCA BA6A’s... but I’m not having much luck finding those. lol

Ever use them on the two buss for fun?
Sure thing!
Just a note they don’t replace a ba6a.
It’s it’s own thing.
ask Bryce about the new stereo comp.
super cool.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Still loving the BG2 here. Many sources. Yesterday with a Mohog 3A before it for a vocal. On Elec gts...so sweet.

Larry, my friend is the tech for an older gentleman here in Philly that used to work at RCA who's been selling off some stuff. He may still have a ba6a but not sure about 3. I can ask and put you in touch if you'd like.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Still loving the BG2 here. Many sources. Yesterday with a Mohog 3A before it for a vocal. On Elec gts...so sweet.

Larry, my friend is the tech for an older gentleman here in Philly that used to work at RCA who's been selling off some stuff. He may still have a ba6a but not sure about 3. I can ask and put you in touch if you'd like.
Chet that would be great. I doubt I could afford three!
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure thing!
Just a note they don’t replace a ba6a.
It’s it’s own thing.
ask Bryce about the new stereo comp.
super cool.
Oh I know that Hunter. In fact I’d say each vari MU from that era has its own sound.

I couldn’t afford 3 BA6A’s today really. I know that the BG2 is a sound unto itself.

Really these limiters are overkill for how ill use them. They will be for set and forget limiting right before the tape heads. I could get away with 3 Gates Level Devil, Sta Level ,etc..., 3 Langevin 5301’s, 3 Altec 436A, B or C, 3 GE BA9, etc... each would have its own sound. I just like having a little bit more options at the end. I think the HD BG2 would give me that... even though I say set and forget I know me, I will want some options depending on what I’m recording.

Bryce is so crazy he’s already designing and building it without me committing to it yet! A cool slant rack tabletop with three BG2’s placed vertically but using big old Simpson VU meters like what are on my console and machine. I like the fact Bryce is like me, just do it cause it’s a cool concept.

Thank you for the comments fellas, anything else of importance that you can think of?
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

is anybody using this on the mix buss?
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
I am. Very impressed and I’m not easily impressed.

I'm ready for a vari-mu compressor. Which one?
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have 3
Use 2 on buss all the time
Really nice!
One is for sale
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

I also use, and love a pair on many a mix.
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have 3
Use 2 on buss all the time
Really nice!
One is for sale
you doing much GR with them on the mix or mainly using for tone/thickening?
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
you doing much GR with them on the mix or mainly using for tone/thickening?
A little of both.
Usually mild GR.
tracking usually more GR,sometimes a blue stripe or rev d before it.
Lovely tone.
Often in parallel as well.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

I just went though the clipalator and to my surprise Chandler sounded a bit less defined than I'd like on drums. Lisson Grove AR1 sounded more special to me, nice push in the lowmids without getting boxy or muddy and the character is just great. Retro Sta level was nice too, different character and again good definition. Another surprise was Groove Hill Audio's Liverpool compressor, just based on this one test I'd prefer it to Chandler... (what?). Unfortunatelly there was no Wes Audio Timbre in there. I'd like to hear it next to Retro.

BG2 from all I can hear online is a different beast to R124 based stuff. It grabs faster or something. Different saturation too. It gets faster to a "roomy" kind of sound where R124s accent the pluck-iness (is that a word?).

Interesting... keep the conversation going, it's one of a few things I may want to add to my studio after I effectively stoped buying gear a few years ago.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
I just went though the clipalator and to my surprise Chandler sounded a bit less defined than I'd like on drums. Lisson Grove AR1 sounded more special to me, nice push in the lowmids without getting boxy or muddy and the character is just great. Retro Sta level was nice too, different character and again good definition. Another surprise was Groove Hill Audio's Liverpool compressor, just based on this one test I'd prefer it to Chandler... (what?). Unfortunatelly there was no Wes Audio Timbre in there. I'd like to hear it next to Retro.

BG2 from all I can hear online is a different beast to R124 based stuff. It grabs faster or something. Different saturation too. It gets faster to a "roomy" kind of sound where R124s accent the pluck-iness (is that a word?).

Interesting... keep the conversation going, it's one of a few things I may want to add to my studio after I effectively stoped buying gear a few years ago.
I posted this in another thread... the BG2 is like having two different Vari MU limiters...

Been using my BG2-3 for a few months now in both a tracking, mixing and mastering context.

I must say, this piece makes me smile every time I use it. Ear to ear smile.

For vocals, bass and general tracking I don’t think I’ve ever used a better compressor (and I’ve owned quite a few over the years). Man does it shine on vocals, in both American and British mode.

As a stereo / parallel drum compressor all I can say is wow, just wow! I wish these were out back in my days of heavy tracking.

In a mastering context she is a bit limited (pun intended) but the British section is the cleanest vari mu I’ve ever heard. She can sit there and hold level unbelievably well. I am impressed. American mode is a bit more aggressive with its output transformer but when it works on the source material it is truly hard to beat.

I can’t wait to strap this in front on my 3 track Presto (once I get it back from my tech). I know the results when tracking to tape with this will be unlike any other!

High Kudos to Bryce.
Attached Thumbnails
Highland Dynamics BG2 vs Lisson Grove ar-1-5d1bcd3a-4cdf-4a7a-bfe4-49d019461992.jpg  
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

BG222 looks great and I like how BG2 sounds in the samples I found on the intewebz. I can't hear much character resemblance to the R124 crowd in those samples. It also feels like the one most suited for 2buss what I can guess.

My personal varimu experience is only with regular Manley (with sidechain hp filter), which I use quite a lot and which seems to be much tamer and calmer domesticated cat. Looking to add something more colorful
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search