The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What $1000 DAC to buy?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

What $1000 DAC to buy?

Hi all

I need you opinion about which DAC to buy around $1000 for monitoring with PMC TB2S+
I unfortanly i wont be able to listem them, so i kinda have to make a decision based on your experince.
I'm looking for a very detailed and neutral sound.

For what i checked i have few alternatives:

Benchemark DAC1
Mytek Stereo96 DAC
Lavry DA-10

Thanks
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

What's your flavour? ....uuuh.....

jejejej

i think in this league.... it's up to your flavour, none of them are bad.

Listen and choose
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have the Apogee Mini-DAC, and I love it. I would highly recommend it.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks

Yea, there's a lot of selection. I'll have to sleep on it and make a decision soon...
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Can't say that I've tried them all, but I just got a Lavry DA10 and it's everything you want in a converter (very detailed, greaty imaging, etc.). I borrowed it from the local shop and tried to talk myself into not buying it, but it was (of course) night and day over the ol' M-audio converters.

Good luck!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

RWhite

The Lavry is actually the one i'm more inclined to buy. From my research it has a great headphone amp, and since i have the Prosone proline2500, it would be a nice add on.

Thanks for the input
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

The Benchmark DAC-1 is excellent, including the headphone amp with two outputs. It's loud and silent.

But I agree that the Lavry is worth looking at. I like the concept of the switched attenuator instead of rotary knob, for repeatability.

For a cheaper option, the Lucid stuff from Frontend is nearly as good, and still night & day compared to M-Audio.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Benchmark DAC-1 or Apogee Mini-DAC, I'd go with the Apogee, but it's pretty close. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 8th February 2007
Deleted c40a31f
I have the Lavry Blue DA which should sound identical to the Lavry Black DA. I think it sounds great and know you wont be disappointed with it.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Lavry DA-10 ... prefer it over Rosettas and Benchmarks. Instantly had to buy a second one...
It was like hearing STEREO for the first time.

Stefan
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I've had a Benchmark DAC1 for about 2 years and a Lavry DA10 for a month. I use them into active ATC monitors (10s and 50s).

I think that in terms of absolute sound quality, the Lavry has the edge (cleaner highs in particular) but both are excellent. The stepped attenuator on the Lavry is useful for setting calibrated monitoring levels. The headphone outputs on both are excellent with HD600s. Obviously the Benchmark has two headphone outputs rather than one, which might be useful for you. Also the Benchmark has the facility to mute the rear (speaker) outputs, or have them at a fixed level, while you separately control the headphone volume. The Lavry can't do this.

If you need the Benchmark features then go for it and you will still have a near-state of the art, jitter resistant DAC. The Lavry possibly has the edge in sound quality though.

Andrew
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Mytek here. I'm very happy with it
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Benchmark DAC-1 ...the best DA i have ever heard at this price.
Old 8th February 2007
member no 666

I pulled my Benchmark a while ago in favor of the D/A in my Avocet... if you want to pick up a used [but in "pretty damn close to new" condition] DAC-1 pop me an email [email protected] you could save yourself some shiny Ducats and I could get rid of some ballast [which seems pretty "win/win" from my perspective].
Old 8th February 2007
Lavry DA-10 for me. But the Mytek and Benchmark are also very good. So if Fletcher is going yo make you a good deal on the Benchmark and money is an issue........
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Bought a Lavry DA10 a week or so ago. It sounds fantastic... analog like and very accurate.

For $1000 I don't think there's a better stereo DA... maybe a few just a good or darn close (Mytek $900) but none better.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciated.

I'll take some time for reflection now. It's been kinda crazy latelly. Building a silent PC and chosing the parts, chose the monitors (went to PMC), chose the DAC, the freaking desk, MIDI controler, mics, treat the room, ha.

But it's fun and rewarding, i'm finally building my project room. I'l be working essentially with Vst's in my DAW (energyXT) and 1/2 mic's for voice and effects.
I'm investing most of my budget in monitoring because it's very important for me to have great sound reproduction.

Take care

Toni
Old 8th February 2007
lavry !+1
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've yet to hear a better DAC than the Altmann Attraction DAC. Looks insane though and not too practical on location (unless you want to be lugging a car battery around with you).

Review here:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...mpling_dac.htm
Old 12th February 2007
Here for the gear

I think they both sound amazing. Personally, I like the Lavry with cleaner lighter music. It's a little less agressive than the Benchmark. The Benchmark works great with music that is hyper-compressed. i.e. Rock and Hip-hop.

Just FYI (since the original poster is from Canada), we offer a program that you can purchase both the Benchmark and Lavry and try them out for a couple of weeks and keep the one you want and return the other for full refund.
Old 12th February 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I find it hard to believe than any of them cannot do the job well.
Old 12th February 2007
js1
Lives for gear

Lavry for me. I had both the Benchmark and DA10 on eval. The DA10 is what stayed.

js

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search