The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best compression for vocals/guitars opinion Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Best compression for vocals/guitars opinion

I'm looking at getting tubetech CL1b for my vocal/electric Accoustic guitar compression is there any better?

Thank you
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

I don't track guitars that much, but when it comes to vocals I've yet heard a better comp than the innerTUBE ASB... it can do ridiculous amounts of GR and still sound natural/true. With the dual version you could record vocals and guitars at the same time
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
I don't track guitars that much, but when it comes to vocals I've yet heard a better comp than the innerTUBE ASB... it can do ridiculous amounts of GR and still sound natural/true. With the dual version you could record vocals and guitars at the same time
Thank you I'm going to have to do some research about it.. Is it a stereo comp or dual mono?
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

as units both available: innertubeaudio.com
the stereo unit can be used linked or dual mono.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Do you record guitar in stereo?
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear
I have not used the cl1b, but I really like the AML 54f50 for acoustic and vox.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Far too dark for Acoustic Guitars, I mean you'll get that compression, though it's highly coloured and often not right on an Acoustic more so Nylon or twelve string, when you want that Tri chorus sound etc. I would stick to something like the Manley Nu Mu, these seem perfect for that stuff, and in my book Stereo comps often beat out esoteric mono comps just for the ability to chain comp one into two and either comp and level out etc!
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Far too dark for Acoustic Guitars, I mean you'll get that compression, though it's highly coloured and often not right on an Acoustic more so Nylon or twelve string, when you want that Tri chorus sound etc. I would stick to something like the Manley Nu Mu, these seem perfect for that stuff, and in my book Stereo comps often beat out esoteric mono comps just for the ability to chain comp one into two and either comp and level out etc!
Looks really cool how does it stack up against tt cl1b?
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Maniac

For a very good opto à la La-2a style, I'd consider the Qes Labs Oc-6. It's my go-to vocals, acoustic and bass tool.
This typically works very well in tracking, as you don't want the louder parts to loose their edge but to sound more or at least as aggressive.
With vocals it sounds remarkable creamy and lush. It will keep them tame, giving the louder parts a little more bite instead of muffling them all up like other compressors often do.
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzhuravel View Post
Looks really cool how does it stack up against tt cl1b?
The Vari Mu I understand is a pretty known standard, the Nu Mu with its Vari Mu heratige though slightly adjusted 3:1 ratio w/ Threshold compression engage unit, so really a kind of different variation to the Manly Vari Mu beast against the soon to be released Manley - Nu Mu, though the CL1B is a very mailable Compressor, the Neve can sound warm, dark and its SNR is 74dBu and Attack/release timing constants alongside the Limiting option (I usually use Auto release on programme adaptive with a medium attack) certainly is its own sound!) though you might find different options like the 33609 or 2264 etc more pliable!

Really, you need to hear and play will all units so you personally can understand in your terms the perspective of compression and colour these units impart. Sometimes you need Clarity, other times Tube or transformer type heavy colouring and again as much as people (even myself) can bandy these words around, you simply must hear these units yourself! If your remote, at least you've got Zen pro Audios Clipitator and Wav files etc, which is a decent start, so you can hear the compression, material and squeaks or mouse fart details if they creep up!

Good luck, rounding up a great batch of compressors takes serious work, coin, and listening to all sources of material, ultimately your outcome should be one you can live with for an extended period! Though maybe that's just me in being consistent etc with many units. Lol...!

Cheers
TLB
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Good luck, rounding up a great batch of compressors takes serious work, coin, and listening to all sources of material, ultimately your outcome should be one you can live with for an extended period! Though maybe that's just me in being consistent etc with many units. Lol...!

Cheers
TLB
Thank you very much for your detailed response.. I have made my choice and am on the hunt for cl1b atm..
I need it for tracking vocals I need something solid to compress 50-80% or what is needed and control the peaks, through talking with many of my friends that own one after reading all of your posts I confirmed my suspicion that cl1b is like at least one hammer in your toolbox that you just gotta have. My next comp will probably be la2a or sta-level but as I not yet work in professional music industry I must watch how much money i spend I do well for myself but I'm just recently coming out of the box and getting some analog gear, this month dropped upwards 15k usd and just got essentials didn't even realize how much difference good cables made on my audio and that alone is pretty hefty tag knowing one has to recable the whole studio with at least with mogami gold... But I will get there. For the love of music at least! We have all been cursed with probably the most expense talent one could be cursed with

I also am a piano/keyboard player so I've invested into several analog synths... Moog does not sound like this on samples ... Not if you track it through md7's and burl adc.. I even re-tracked a stylus rmx loop through md7 and burl and also done an internal bounce... I couldn't understand how in the world do analog toys do that.. But that's a conversation for another day... I got the 500 box and ordered dramastic audio obsedian now awaiting for shipment I didn't realize there's no mono comp in 500 series that does as well as 19" rack.. So cl1b it is
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

If you've heard your singing through a CL1B and you like it (the kind of modern glossy aspect, that is), you might have a hard time replicating that with another compressor.

I wound up with two of them for stereo - but I mostly use them on BG vocal stems (or one of them on lead vocal). I haven't tried them too much on acoustic guitar, but I usually don't compress those much anyway
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
If you've heard your singing through a CL1B and you like it (the kind of modern glossy aspect, that is), you might have a hard time replicating that with another compressor.

I wound up with two of them for stereo - but I mostly use them on BG vocal stems (or one of them on lead vocal). I haven't tried them too much on acoustic guitar, but I usually don't compress those much anyway
I think I will end up getting both at some point way too much to buy atm so I go on the most needed basis... Vocal compression is a must for me as for guitars I just want to be able to control the major spikes so I don't clip the audio but not so much of the compression per say... Sl1b is transparent enough from what I hear to be able to do just that
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post

Tube Tech Certainly make lovely Compressors and great quality, certainly a life keeper and an essential food group compressor to have in the - Audio Arsenal, good luck, another comp I found for stupid money was the Drawmer 1978 it's like an Orban, ADR Gemini and Omnipressor with an 1178 stereo mode, great tool at $1000 under (950$ usually) and for Drums and Synths it's magic, it can make an 808 kick Explode etc, you might want to check that out as well! It's Log/Linear and tone shaping controls and styling is close to an API 2500 look, another great comp!

Good luck!
Old 8th May 2016
+1 on the '78

Quote:
Tube Tech Certainly make lovely Compressors and great quality, certainly a life keeper and an essential food group compressor to have in the - Audio Arsenal, good luck, another comp I found for stupid money was the Drawmer 1978 it's like an Orban, ADR Gemini and Omnipressor with an 1178 stereo mode, great tool at $1000 under (950$ usually) and for Drums and Synths it's magic, it can make an 808 kick Explode etc, you might want to check that out as well! It's Log/Linear and tone shaping controls and styling is close to an API 2500 look, another great comp!

Good luck!
The 78 Drawmer!
Yes indeed! Very nice multipurpose box!
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Guru

The one channel I'd get for both is an LA3a or an APA Leviathan.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
another comp I found for stupid money was the Drawmer 1978
Good luck!
OMG thank you! I'm getting this bad boy for sure!
Could you tell me if I can use it as a mono for single Chanel or u gotta use it in stereo?

Man I'm so happy u mentioned it I'm currently searching out for deals

P
Old 9th May 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

The Cl1b is excellent. I would change the tubes in it from stock.

Is there any better? I think so if you want to save money - the Buzz SOC-20.

The Buzz essence 500 series is awesome. If you want some more grit, the Buzz DBC-20 could be it. (You can tell I like Buzz Audio - great quality for the money.)

The Buzz compressors also have faster attack times than the tube tech and sometimes that is needed.

The Therm. Phoenix also has its own sound which is awesome, but a little different than the tubetech - though two channels of the Therm. Phoenix may cost less than two tubetechs - especially in the used market.

Te CL1B has its own special sound. If you love that sound, there is none better. It is expensive though and takes a lot of rack space, especially if you want two of them, but it can still be the best if that is the sound you want and have the money.

Only you can ultimately answer this question, unless someone knows of a compressor that sounds and functions exactly like the CL1b but somehow costs less.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post

Te CL1B has its own special sound. If you love that sound, there is none better. It is expensive though and takes a lot of rack space, especially if you want two of them, but it can still be the best if that is the sound you want and have the money
Thank you I ultimately want something that I cans smash and it not having compression artifacts cl1b was
Highly recommended by someone who's huge in the industry, said much of the vocals being compressed with it that we hear on the radio

Hence I'm looking at it and asking questions... Money I will find
Old 9th May 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

That is what is great about it. You can really smash it (as you say) and it sounds great. And for some reason it still has life to it in a smooth way. So it is magical in a sense. If money is no object, I recommend it. Just consider upgrading the tubes - though there are arguments about that - but it seemed like it was better to me with NOS Mullards.

Quote:
Thank you I ultimately want something that I cans smash and it not having compression artifacts cl1b was
Highly recommended by someone who's huge in the industry, said much of the vocals being compressed with it that we hear on the radio

Hence I'm looking at it and asking questions... Money I will find
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
. Just consider upgrading the tubes - though there are arguments about that - but it seemed like it was better to me with NOS Mullards.
I wonder if I can get those for my Avalon 737... I don't really like sovteks... But can't find a good place to buy better tubes for it any suggestions?
Old 9th May 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

I have had good luck with tube depot.

Quote:
I wonder if I can get those for my Avalon 737... I don't really like sovteks... But can't find a good place to buy better tubes for it any suggestions?
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I have had good luck with tube depot.
I'll check it out thanks bro u ever try 737's with different tubes?
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
OMG thank you! I'm getting this bad boy for sure!
Could you tell me if I can use it as a mono for single Chanel or u gotta use it in stereo?

Man I'm so happy u mentioned it I'm currently searching out for deals

P
No problem, at the moment, I'm finding my way with the Buzz SOC 20 Optical compressor which for Master Buss, Acoustic Guitars (Nylon and 12 String) plus sheer vocals is.....,sheer bliss, is the modern 2016 LA2A (Though the Buzz SOC 20 is stereo with M/S applications as well) to be just one of the most well thought out units I've owned.

As I've got many major Brand Comp/Limiters and other Colour compressors I can only reiterate - You Must Decide and try them out! Though.... I do feel you must get a start with the Three main Units you'll always keep, the Buzz SOC 20 and Tube tech CL1B are those units! Then later you can Aquire other esoteric compressors, and VCA and FET units like the Drawmer 1968 and 1978 which are just amazing compressors to add to your asernal!

I always suggest getting the three main food groups 1st, like SSL type VCA, Neve Trafo heavy 33609/2254's back Diode Neve, and a Manley or Buzz Opto ot Vari Mu type or Opto, and you've got to hear these compressors yourself, as my opinion, use and outcome as others could differ hugely from yours, so you must see and hear everything no matter compliments and user advice etc!

Though the Drawmer 1978 comp for $900-950 is like an 1178 with smash controls or gentle compression FET based and full of LOG/LINEAR inspired 1970's old skool, type comps, Yeap it certainly can do filtering and crushing with distortion of an Omnipressor and the Grab if an Orban or Urei, though it's a certain sound to The unit, like the 1968 Mercenry Audio Or MKII Drawmer with Valve output stage, near totally forgiving and a no problem unit, though consistent and does a great job doing its thing not boring, though a great sound is also in the Drawmer 1978!

Again....only You can decide and hear what they sound like and will do for you as I might use them in a totally different way, though alongside the CL1B and Buzz SOC 20, those are seriously great life time keeper Compressors that will stay solid and their resale stay tight etc! And yes....the Drawmer 1978 sounds pretty stunning for the dumb money, any studio should have 2 units for that 1178 sound and one for that filtering thump, smack whoomp, type sounds on drum boxes and the like!

Good luck, and use your own ears, it is a must, good advice comes from these forums though it's nothing compared to doing you're listening tests and arriving at a great conclusive result etc, you can build a collection fast and cheap or cheap and fast, though serious "Quality always costs money" and after that type investment you'll never look back!

Cheers
TLB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search