The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio monitors for electronic music under $4000
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Head
Studio monitors for electronic music under $4000

Hello,
I think about monitors upgrade and I would love to have some landscape oriented speakers, which fits ideally my room and desk + IsoAccoustic stands.
I did some research on the market and there are some interesing products:

Event Opal
Focal Twin 6
KleinHummel 310

Any other suggestions, which ones should be fine and which I should listen to before buy?

Especially for electronic music, it is important to have good balanced low-end.
I also heard about genelecs 8050, but I heard, that genelecs have the "genelec problem", that the music mixed on them is not properly translated on consumer electronics like phones, headphones, hifi systems and other type of common used devices. I also need to have my mixes translated properly at clubs / big venues.
Old 3rd May 2016
Trident HG3
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

With any speaker you get you will hear the INTERACTION of the room (it's geometry / construction), the speaker's positioning in that room, and your listening position in that room. What is in that room including room treatment will also have a lesser effect (room treatment can't fix a bad room, it can only make the best out of what you have to work with). The smaller the room the more critical these variables are. Using a nearfield monitor and monitoring at low level can lessen the impact of these variables but they never go away (just how sound in any space works).

The key is to find monitoring that works in your space and your budget, thus there is no right answer on a forum, just personal experiences shared of what others have found as solutions to THEIR space and budget that might be like your needs. Unless you have a larger specifically built control room where you know by design it will have great acoustics, it's a crap shoot what any given monitor's interaction will sound like in your space. Thus try to audition speaker's in your space before buying (after you have done at least basic room treatment and understand general best listening and speaker positioning for your space with whatever speakers you are currently using (there are plenty of threads here to help you on that). Knowing that info will let you quickly find best speaker positioning of speaker canidates for auditioning.

As for using small speakers for EDM mixing, many will also use a sub to produce the low frequencies which are heavy in that style. As for translation to BOTH clubs and earbuds at the same time, the best you can hope to achieve is a compromise as the buds will not be able to reproduce much of the low end and have more high end than what would be heard in any club. Translation on any speaker is a learning process more than anything else. There is no magic speaker that you can just plop onto a desk / stand in a room and whatever you run through it will magically translate to all other end user devices and the very different spaces they operate them in. What you can do to help in the translation learning process is take tracks that you already know translate well via club and buds and use them as references to mix against. There are also plugs that will show the frequency distribution of those reference tracks so you can get close to that with your own mixes.

Setting up your space for good monitoring and learning how it translates to others is a process, not just buying a product. Good luck on your journey.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Man that was a really long post for not answering what the op asked.

<snip - arguably a a lot more helpful than your post!>

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 4th May 2016 at 10:53 AM..
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Head
Well,
I understand what bassmankr wrote. It really makes semse.

My situation is, that i have quite small room, that I have measured by room eq wizzard, I use vicoustics and GIK accoustics treatment. As bassmankr wrote it is not ideal and it will never be - the smaller the room is, the harder it is possible to control the room accoustic especially in low frequencies.

The position is also very important and to listen to the speakers it is also very important.

So my question should be more like:

What are the subjective / personal experiences with mentioned monitors?
Which of these are more suitable for mixing Electronic music?
Are there any other monitors landscape oriented, that i missed?
(opals can be converted to landscape by changing orientation of tweeter)

Which of them You recommend me to test in my room?

I had quite monitors in my room in the past, but I am still looking for the pair,
which I will like. You can have nice paper data, but if you dont like the sound or whether it is like irratating, It is not good to work with them. It is especially about the character of the highs.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

I see you have listed the Event Opals. I'm using these monitors for roughly a year now in a room that's roughly 3.5m by 7m, so not big at all. I have done acoustic treatment and realy enjoy my Opals a lot! I just love to be able to mix EDM without having to install a sub, as these Opals make it possible to hear all the way down to 30Hz (yes the roll-off starts earlier, I know) and have so much power reserve, it's crazy. But it's not just the impressive low frequency reproduction that has made me a fan, it's also the detailed yet smooth mids and sparkling highs without becoming harsh or even painful to listen to. I love the stereo image and depth it provides. So yes, if you can try them in your own room that, do it!

Probably not in your budget, but it might be interesting to try to test the Unity Audio Super Rock, they impressed me a lot on the Musikmesse, but it was not the most ideal place to audition them, I realize that.

Amphion One15, One18 and Two18 also impressed me all a lot, but I'm not confident yet if they handle EDM as good (or better) than Opals.

Anyway, I keep my Opals (for now).
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

From your list, Opals 100%!!!
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidtrax View Post
i see you have listed the event opals. I'm using these monitors for roughly a year now in a room that's roughly 3.5m by 7m, so not big at all. I have done acoustic treatment and realy enjoy my opals a lot! I just love to be able to mix edm without having to install a sub, as these opals make it possible to hear all the way down to 30hz (yes the roll-off starts earlier, i know) and have so much power reserve, it's crazy. But it's not just the impressive low frequency reproduction that has made me a fan, it's also the detailed yet smooth mids and sparkling highs without becoming harsh or even painful to listen to. I love the stereo image and depth it provides. So yes, if you can try them in your own room that, do it!

probably not in your budget, but it might be interesting to try to test the unity audio super rock, they impressed me a lot on the musikmesse, but it was not the most ideal place to audition them, i realize that.

Amphion one15, one18 and two18 also impressed me all a lot, but i'm not confident yet if they handle edm as good (or better) than opals.

Anyway, i keep my opals (for now).
and your mixes on your opals translate well ?
Thanks
sergio
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

traumerei1838, sometimes a question needs a long answer (it's not that I enjoy typing), especially one with many variables that has no right answer until he does physical auditioning in his space. Explaining the variables lets the poster better understand what is really at work. We post here to help others solve problems and learn (I see you did not post an answer or offer any help). The learning also never stops for all of us (including myself) regardless of what you know. If you wanted to skip my long reply about "WHY" then in this case you could have just read the last two sentences of my post.

As for using any nearfield speaker which has limited or no very low end flat frequency response (just look at their waterfall graphs) to mimic EDM at a club which is a large space using many speakers and subs, you will need to add a sub to the nearfields or learn translation tricks without it. Either way room interaction and positioning will really come into play for the low frequencies. Despite what marketing wants us to believe, you can't just spend $XXX on nearfield moniters, plop them on a desk in a small room and expect the laws of physics to be suspended.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Maniac
To the list I would add Unity Audio The Rock mkII
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

If I was mixing tracks for clubs, I would definitely want a sub.
I find mine invaluable, even though I don't make stuff for clubs.
It's the best way to find out what's happening with the low end.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Head
Hi guys,
thanks for reply!
At this moment I have VXT6 + sub8 and APS AEON Titandome - 8" with seas drivers.
My friend mixed something on Opals and it sounds overcompressed on my APS AEON, but quite fine on Opals.
That is why I am affraid of Opals, if they do lie or not. I will have a chance to borrow my friends Opals in close term, so I will test them in my room.
I found - but over budget also Focals Trio6, which can be switched to Landscape position.
I will also check Unity Audios.

Klein Hummel are used for mastering a lot, but I read, that they are not loud enough and they are more suitable for different kind of music.

Regarding the sub - it is hard with the sub, because you have to have good treatment of your room accoustic and good position of the sub and well mixed with your monitors.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
and your mixes on your opals translate well ?
Thanks
sergio
Yes, I'm happy with the way my mixes translate to other systems.
Old 4th May 2016
i mix alot of edm and use the Focal solob6 and have no problems with the low end. I use a sub but only use it to check the bass. Translation for me is perfect although i have a good sounding and treated room. I prefer having my solos w a sub rather than having say the sm9, this way i can toggle between 2 way solos and with my sub.
I got used to mixing this way and it works for me.Everyone has there way of mixing and while this works for me, it might not work for you.
Best is to try monitors in your room. BTW, in my room the opals did not sound good, i just find the bass to be to flabby and hyped, a little like the mackies.
IMHO Opals and Focals are in a totally diff league.
Good luck finding your monitors.
P.S. I can send you a clip of an EDM track i just mixed on my Focals for you to hear the bass i got mixing on the focals.
Also appart from mixing and having the right monitors you have to also know how to choose the right kik and bass,samples for your mix to sound great.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
i mix alot of edm and use the Focal solob6 and have no problems with the low end. I use a sub but only use it to check the bass. Translation for me is perfect although i have a good sounding and treated room. I prefer having my solos w a sub rather than having say the sm9, this way i can toggle between 2 way solos and with my sub.
I got used to mixing this way and it works for me.Everyone has there way of mixing and while this works for me, it might not work for you.
Best is to try monitors in your room. BTW, in my room the opals did not sound good, i just find the bass to be to flabby and hyped, a little like the mackies.
P.S. I can send you a clip of an EDM track i just mixed on my Focals for you to hear the bass i got mixing on the focals.
Also appart from mixing and having the right monitors you have to also know how to choose the right kik and bass,samples for your mix to sound great.
Thanks for your reply!

It would be nice to hear some audio clip.
Yes, it is not about the equipment and room, but also about an experience etc., but if I would spend 4000USD, I need to buy the monitors, which I will use for several years not to change them in 2upcoming years.

I will have OPALS for test in my room, so I am very curious about.

What I am affraid of is bright / too crisp highs.
I had Tapco S5, Esi near05, Adam A7, Dynaudio BM6A, VXT6 + sub, APS AEON Titandome, A7x.

From my point of view the Dynaudios were the most "smooth" / comfortable speakers for me especially in mids, stereo and highs. Adams and Titanium tweeters make my ears tired sooner.

So, I am affraid of Focals, that they will have also too crisp highs more then for example KH 310. But I have to test them...
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM-Thak View Post
PSI Audio.

Very detailed, honest, neutral, super tight bass response... and you can go for hours and hours without end and ear fatigue will never happen.
Old 4th May 2016
The highs are def not too crisp on the focals
Cheers
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, it is not about the equipment and room, but also about an experience etc., but if I would spend 4000USD, I need to buy the monitors, which I will use for several years not to change them in 2upcoming years.

I had Tapco S5, Esi near05, Adam A7, Dynaudio BM6A, VXT6 + sub, APS AEON Titandome, A7x.

From my point of view the Dynaudios were the most "smooth" / comfortable speakers for me especially in mids, stereo and highs. Adams and Titanium tweeters make my ears tired sooner.

So, I am affraid of Focals, that they will have also too crisp highs more then for example KH 310. But I have to test them...
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear
I use opals for both electronic and acoustic music. After some trial and error, I've learned how to get mixes that translate well. I think they're perfectly suited for EDM, given the stellar bass response. I do have some bass buildup issues and nulls in my very small studio, but at least the bass is there! If I need to hear it better I go to the doorway or into the bathroom that's behind the wall the opals are against. For some reason it's slamming in there
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Nut

For EDM, i think the Focal Alpha 80 studio monitors are a good bet. The Bass is amazing, you probably won't need a sub, and they are well within your budget... With the money you save you could get a pair of Audeze LCD-X magnetic planar headphones to go with it and mix the sub bass down to 5 Hz without annoying the neighbors...
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

I also heard about genelecs 8050, but I heard, that genelecs have the "genelec problem", that the music mixed on them is not properly translated on consumer electronics like phones, headphones, hifi systems and other type of common used devices. I also need to have my mixes translated properly at clubs / big venues.
I have a pair of 8050B's and I haven't had any problems with translation to large PAs or consumer systems/radio, but you have to understand that they go considerably lower than most consumer devices and it's possible to make a bass that won't be reproduced on a smaller/cheaper system, but that stands for every full-range monitor. IMO they are more predictable than the Focals.
Anyway, if you have a chance, listen to different speakers, because everybody's different.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I also think the Opals are in a totally different league than Focal Solo's, a much higher league! But that's my opinion.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Not surprised the BM6a's were the best...the others not real monitors
Try the Opals in your room...and if you don't have the budget for the Trios you might try the Twin6 be.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Nut

I'd go genelec.
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear

Ive heard all the monitors you mentioned and the Opals are easily in a league above the others, matter of fact the Opals are better (in my opinion and by better I mean, soundstage, frequency response, phase etc) than all the monitors Ive seen mentioned in this thread (I have not heard the Unity super rocks nor the trios - The trios look GOOD tho). Translation with the Opals is great, cant speak on the others in that regard. Good luck
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Not surprised the BM6a's were the best...the others not real monitors
Try the Opals in your room...and if you don't have the budget for the Trios you might try the Twin6 be.
Did you ever heard APS? They have much more linear freq respone and analytically they play better then bm6a mk1. But - it is similiar league as bm6 and they cause ear fatigue sooner then bm6.
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
I have a pair of 8050B's and I haven't had any problems with translation to large PAs or consumer systems/radio, but you have to understand that they go considerably lower than most consumer devices and it's possible to make a bass that won't be reproduced on a smaller/cheaper system, but that stands for every full-range monitor. IMO they are more predictable than the Focals.
Anyway, if you have a chance, listen to different speakers, because everybody's different.
Thanks for your answer! Yes, I would like to listen to different speakers and mainly in my own room, becuase it is not only about monitors, because some of them can be more suitable for me due the room accoustics.
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear
You might want to audition the RCF mytho 8 , it gets pretty low and good transients on the bass.
I use PMC tb2s with a sub - they are fine.
Old 6th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
You might want to audition the RCF mytho 8 , it gets pretty low and good transients on the bass.
I use PMC tb2s with a sub - they are fine.
Can you compare these to anything at all? There is literally no reviews on these. The specs are very good with lots of power, and the design seems well thought out.
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

Event Opal the winner ??
Old 7th May 2016
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

The events are beautiful sounding speakers, they arent just all about the low end. I used the adam a7s from the studio for some editing and they literally ruined my ears after about 2 hours. I can do about 6 hours on the opals without getting skewed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search