The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio monitors for electronic music under $4000 Studio Monitors
Old 25th May 2016
Gear Head

You should also check the Eve audio line, i come from opals, they sounded really good, and the low end was awesome, really powerfull but sometimes, i found it not natural, i think the problems are the transient here, they are really different between the mid-high and the low frequency.

i now run eve 407, compared a lot with other manufacturer (barefoot, PMC, Neuman, focal) and on there price range, they are really good !

I also had some problems with the Opals, vibration on a speakers, and aso this stupid constant hiss... i loved their mid !
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Addict

I used to do a lot of EDM mixes. The best mix monitors by far are the PSI A21. A17 if you don't have the budget...
The low end resolution on these monitors is shocking. Never had better results on other systems.
Over the years I have mixed electronic music in several geographic locations and in a country that dominate the Trans scene the Dynaudio BM6 is king. I find this monitor not suitable for serious mix decisions since it lacks that true low end bass extended resolution (but has a lot of bass...) while something weird going on at around 2-2.5K.
Crank up the volume and the A21s disapear in the sound - you get that large monitor feel without the box standing in your way.

For me it's all about clarity. PSI is the clearest I have had in years. 0.00000002 cent

Last edited by Overdrive; 27th May 2016 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling and more info
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I used to do a lot of EDM mixes. The best mix monitors by far are the PSI A21. A17 if you don't have the budget...
The low end resolution on these monitors is shocking. Never had better results on other systems.
Over the years I have mixed electronic music in several geographic locations and in a country that dominate the Trans scene the Dynaudio BM6 is king. I find this monitor not suitable for serious mix decisions since it lacks that true low end bass extended resolution (but has a lot of bass...) while something weird going on at around 2-2.5K.
Crank up the volume and the A21s disapear in the sound - you get that large monitor feel without the box standing in your way.

For me it's all about clarity. PSI is the clearest I have had in years. 0.00000002 cent
Nice advice?
Are the PSI a major step up from The Event Opals ? Especially for accurate, translating EDM mixes ?
Thanks
Sergio
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Nice advice?
Are the PSI a major step up from The Event Opals ? Especially for accurate, translating EDM mixes ?
Thanks
Sergio
I wouldn't say a step up, just different. For EDM, I would absolutely pick the Opals, but perhaps it's easy for me to say, mine don't hiss and don't rattle, they are simply awesome. What is also important (to me) is that the Opals are the only monitors I have ever had that also sound musical, they inspire me to make better music.

Please don't confuse this with hifi sounding, it's not that they make everything sound good, not at all. They keep telling you perfectly what is wrong with a mix or master. I listened to the new Sia album, I believe over half of the songs are really good, but I hate listening the songs in my studio, it's so loud, it's scary. Trying to listen to the songs while cranking up to monitors is hurting my ears. Not because the Opals are bad, but the music is (possibly) destroyed during mastering. Now, let's listen to John Mayer Gravity and you can really crank up the monitors to insane levels and it sounds completely under control. I rather not listen to insane levels as I don't want to hurt my ears, but the Opals have no issue with it at all.

When I installed my Opals, my room had little acoustic treatment but I already enjoyed their sonics and my mixes improved. When I did some serious acoustics treatment (this time with help from someone who knows the stuff) it's like my whole monitoring chain has upgraded gigantically. I hear even more below 35Hz, more definition, better mids, better highs, a much improved stereo image with an incredible sharp phantom centre. I can not relate to anything negative that has been said about the Opals. The lows don't mask the low-mid or mid at all, no hiss, no rattle, no port noise, even when driven loud, great mixes sound awesome, bad mixes not so much.

Having said all this, sure there are more great monitors and perhaps you will like the PSI better, a completely valid possibility. Good luck with your search for the right monitor!
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Adams S3X V
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

The Opal + The Amphion15 should be a nice combo. The translating strength of the amphion and the extra bass from the Opal
Old 31st May 2016
I actually just spent some time on PSI A17's and A21's. They are VERY detailed. I won't argue that at all. I just wouldnt want them as my only monitors. It's like a sterile wall of detailed sound sitting in front of you. Almost felt like staring at a hospital wall. Don't get me wrong, as a secondary pair they are fantastic, or if you just want something to show detail and be clinical for a tool. I just couldnt connect to the feel of the music at all on them.

Best way i can describe them is that if you had a PSI way of looking at a loaf of bread you would be able to see the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and their exact proportions, but wouldnt smell it being baked.

That being said I would love a pair as my last set! Great to get that extra last little bit done on a mix.
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I wouldn't say a step up, just different. For EDM, I would absolutely pick the Opals, but perhaps it's easy for me to say, mine don't hiss and don't rattle, they are simply awesome. What is also important (to me) is that the Opals are the only monitors I have ever had that also sound musical, they inspire me to make better music.

Please don't confuse this with hifi sounding, it's not that they make everything sound good, not at all. They keep telling you perfectly what is wrong with a mix or master. I listened to the new Sia album, I believe over half of the songs are really good, but I hate listening the songs in my studio, it's so loud, it's scary. Trying to listen to the songs while cranking up to monitors is hurting my ears. Not because the Opals are bad, but the music is (possibly) destroyed during mastering. Now, let's listen to John Mayer Gravity and you can really crank up the monitors to insane levels and it sounds completely under control. I rather not listen to insane levels as I don't want to hurt my ears, but the Opals have no issue with it at all.

When I installed my Opals, my room had little acoustic treatment but I already enjoyed their sonics and my mixes improved. When I did some serious acoustics treatment (this time with help from someone who knows the stuff) it's like my whole monitoring chain has upgraded gigantically. I hear even more below 35Hz, more definition, better mids, better highs, a much improved stereo image with an incredible sharp phantom centre. I can not relate to anything negative that has been said about the Opals. The lows don't mask the low-mid or mid at all, no hiss, no rattle, no port noise, even when driven loud, great mixes sound awesome, bad mixes not so much.

Having said all this, sure there are more great monitors and perhaps you will like the PSI better, a completely valid possibility. Good luck with your search for the right monitor!
What basic acoustic treatment did you do ?
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Nobody else, especially any Opal user's working with Sonarworks Speaker Correction softwre ?
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

I produce edm and urban genres for a living and LOVE my Opals. No sonarworks here though
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
I actually just spent some time on PSI A17's and A21's. They are VERY detailed. I won't argue that at all. I just wouldnt want them as my only monitors. It's like a sterile wall of detailed sound sitting in front of you. Almost felt like staring at a hospital wall. Don't get me wrong, as a secondary pair they are fantastic, or if you just want something to show detail and be clinical for a tool. I just couldnt connect to the feel of the music at all on them.

Best way i can describe them is that if you had a PSI way of looking at a loaf of bread you would be able to see the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and their exact proportions, but wouldnt smell it being baked.

That being said I would love a pair as my last set! Great to get that extra last little bit done on a mix.
Great analogy and after owning A21's for a year I couldn't agree more. Made me feel like I was wearing a lab coat after the honeymoon. Now I enjoy the vivid smell of fresh bread every day with one15's whilst still knowing exactly what the ingredients are doing.
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Great analogy and after owning A21's for a year I couldn't agree more. Made me feel like I was wearing a lab coat after the honeymoon. Now I enjoy the vivid smell of fresh bread every day with one15's whilst still knowing exactly what the ingredients are doing.
They really are amazing!!!
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
What basic acoustic treatment did you do ?
It started with just two broad band absorbers at the left and right wall to counter the flutter echo at my listening position.

Now I have improved broad band absorbers on the left and right wall, above my listening position and behind both monitors. I also have bass traps in the corners. Listening tests with a sinus sweep previously revealed some big cuts and boosts at different frequencies (mostly below 250Hz), these have flattened out a lot, so I'm very happy with the improvements.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Head
Did somebody already tested Trio 6be?
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Maniac

If you don't have to put them in a stand, consider B&W speakers with an amplifier. Heard the CDM1SE from a friend in my studio and it was awesome...
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
Can you compare these to anything at all? There is literally no reviews on these. The specs are very good with lots of power, and the design seems well thought out.
Theyre OK but thinking of upgrading. Sound great in a big room with plenty of breathing space - they have no port noise so bass is round and smooth. They have a big ass bump at 45 hz but good time response. Less breezy than ns10. However annoying in small room due to atl port on back. Thinking of getting someting else....

Last edited by Gusss; 3rd March 2018 at 09:42 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search