The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about buying a curve bender Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st May 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Thinking about buying a curve bender

Gday all. I'm seriously thinking about buying a curve bender, so basically trying to find a few reasons not too.

Currently running a pair of warm audio pultech's on the mix buss. I like them but the btm end is always a bit wooly. I also would plan to use it for tracking too.

Is it what it's cracked up to be? What does it do well and what doesn't it do well??

Last edited by Callison; 1st May 2016 at 02:04 PM..
Old 1st May 2016
  #2
Gear Head
 

Same here...
Old 1st May 2016
  #3
I hate to tell you but the curve Bender is in a completely different league. I shot the Warm Audio pultecs out against the AML ones recently. I found the Warm pultecs to be very woolly and vague indeed. I wasn't a fan. The Curve Bender on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. It's is completely worth it in my book anyway.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Thanks Trev. This is the kinda stuff I need to hear really. Anything you recommend that might be able to compete with it? Has to be fully stepped also
Old 2nd May 2016
  #5
Gear Addict
 

There are so many wonderful pieces out there

I for one use the CB to compliment the Knif Soma on my Mix buss

I find the Knif smoother over all and a different animal to the CB

The Soma certainly does not possess what the CB has

the Knif is the only other EQ I have fully stepped
Old 2nd May 2016
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Thanks Trev. This is the kinda stuff I need to hear really. Anything you recommend that might be able to compete with it? Has to be fully stepped also
If it's the Pultec thing you want, the mastering versions of the Pulse Audio EQP1a would be the obvious choice. If you are just looking for a (stepped) great sounding eq which you can use for tracking/mixing/mastering, the API 5500 might be worth a look.

Most stepped EQs are quite a bit more expensive than their unstepped counterparts. The mastering versions of the usual suspects are all worth a look too: Massive Passive, Great river etc.
Old 3rd May 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Miles Flint's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Gday all. I'm seriously thinking about buying a curve bender, so basically trying to find a few reasons not too.

Currently running a pair of warm audio pultech's on the mix buss. I like them but the btm end is always a bit wooly. I also would plan to use it for tracking too.

Is it what it's cracked up to be? What does it do well and what doesn't it do well??
There are probably none... or only very few reasons to not buy a CB
It quickly became my fav EQ since I have it. Ok, it's not fully parametric like the Buzz or the MP, but I like it more than these to be honest. It's so intuitive and musical sounding. I am a fan!

I tried lot of pultec clones, did not like the warms. But hey, the btm end on the CB is awesome, hear for yourself!
Old 5th May 2016
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Mr. Bars's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Gday all. I'm seriously thinking about buying a curve bender, so basically trying to find a few reasons not too...
Check this out if software realm does work for you: Chandler Limited Curve Bender Mastering EQ Plug-In NOW Available | Chandler Limited
Old 5th May 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Tried it out yesterday on a mix. Had the mix put through a friends Curvebender then I did the same thing on the plugin. Not really in the same ball park to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
Old 5th May 2016
  #10
Gear Nut
 

I own a CB for about 7 to 8 years.
I've been using it for pretty much everything.
However, some of my favorite use for it it's on bass, electric guitar, drum bus, 2 bus.
It's amazing how much low end you can get with it without making your mix muddy.
I love it.

Last edited by sblue; 24th May 2016 at 04:37 AM..
Old 5th May 2016
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblue View Post
I own a CB for about 7 to 8 years.
I've been using it for pretty mush everything.
However, some of my favorite use for it it's on bass, electric guitar, drum bus, 2 bus.
It's amazing how much low end you can get with it without making your mix muddy.
I love it.
I've had mine for a few years now... what he said.

I have the CB/Zener combo... and find myself using them on all sorts of material, especially vocals...

Reasons not to own one... um... um... I got nothing. Just buy it already.
Old 5th May 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
I have! Should be here in a week or so! Exciting. Biggest purchase I have ever made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I've had mine for a few years now... what he said.

I have the CB/Zener combo... and find myself using them on all sorts of material, especially vocals...

Reasons not to own one... um... um... I got nothing. Just buy it already.
Old 5th May 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
I have! Should be here in a week or so! Exciting. Biggest purchase I have ever made!
Very happy for you! I'm sure you will love it.
Old 5th May 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
Last time I saw one for sale, they were pretty pricey. More than I could afford.
Old 5th May 2016
  #15
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hate to tell you but the curve Bender is in a completely different league. I shot the Warm Audio pultecs out against the AML ones recently. I found the Warm pultecs to be very woolly and vague indeed. I wasn't a fan. The Curve Bender on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. It's is completely worth it in my book anyway.
... and it was my Warm Pultec! The AML ones outclassed it (unfortunately for me...).
Old 5th May 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
I have! Should be here in a week or so! Exciting. Biggest purchase I have ever made!
I'm happy for you, enjoy! Msg if you have any questions.
Old 5th May 2016
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieneedham View Post
... and it was my Warm Pultec! The AML ones outclassed it (unfortunately for me...).
Yup. Wasn't even close. I think we have some pics somewhere...
Old 23rd May 2016
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
I have! Should be here in a week or so! Exciting. Biggest purchase I have ever made!
Soooo how goes it? im currently considering selling a rack worth of stuff to hop on board.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #19
Gear Addict
Yeah I've been Eyeing the CURVE BENDER as well but am torn between it and the Manley Massive or the A designs HMEQ2....and the winner is....
Old 23rd May 2016
  #20
Gear Addict
What about those PULSE 500 series..have not heard much about them???
Old 23rd May 2016
  #21
Gear Addict
And how do the Little Devils stack up against the CURVE BENDER?
Old 23rd May 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Hey fella's. Well I have it but have very little to report. I picked it up last Tuesday and have been the sickest I have been in years. I haven't been able to hear at all. Today was the first day that my ears started to feel like "my ears". today I figured it's a powerful beast. A little goes along way. Every freq sounds great! I used to have a massive passive and I am 99% certain I am going to like this more. The MP is soft in everyday. The curve bender so far feels soft and hard all at the same time. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.
Ps the pulse 500's I have heard are very aggressive.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Also used to have a little devil. Different beast all together. Defo not for 2 buss work. Recall would be a nightmare. Decent sound.
Old 24th May 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Hey fella's. Well I have it but have very little to report. I picked it up last Tuesday and have been the sickest I have been in years. I haven't been able to hear at all. Today was the first day that my ears started to feel like "my ears". today I figured it's a powerful beast. A little goes along way. Every freq sounds great! I used to have a massive passive and I am 99% certain I am going to like this more. The MP is soft in everyday. The curve bender so far feels soft and hard all at the same time. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.
Ps the pulse 500's I have heard are very aggressive.
Don't forget to play with x1 & x1.5 switches... They also change the cut boost steps from half db or steeper steps respectively... And feel better quickly!

Last edited by adam_f; 3rd August 2016 at 10:56 PM..
Old 27th May 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Callison's Avatar
Yup! I love the thing!!!! Been mixing all week. And really enjoying it. Seems very intuitive to me, so much easier than the massive passive. And blows the warm audio pultech's out of the water. It defiantly has a color to it but that color feels very moldable.

Good times so far...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump