The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mics are similar to the c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Maniac

What mics are similar to the c800g

I dont mean clones, I have read the ref c is similar but it sounds more scooped, are there any others that have the same sort of sound
Old 29th April 2016
Peluso vtb
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah not really sure how Peluso did it but the VTB is pretty impressive. Check out the video from Soundpure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YoJGsE1Fus
Old 29th April 2016
I have a Ref Gold and 2 different C800s... they do not sound the same at all.

I personally don't know of any other mic that really nails that sound. Just save and get a c800... no regrets.
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

I personally don't know of any other mic that really nails that sound. Just save and get a c800... no regrets.
C800 or C800g? They are very different mics.

And the Ref Cardioid and Ref Gold are also two different mics!

Last edited by Matt Nolan; 29th April 2016 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spotted something else
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

The JJ Audio Akita is another candidate, apparently. I haven't heard one myself, but search the threads here and you will see comparisons with the C800g.
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan View Post
The JJ Audio Akita is another candidate, apparently. I haven't heard one myself, but search the threads here and you will see comparisons with the C800g.
Thanks guys

I'm familiar with the clones [akita, vtb] I guess what I'm looking for are other non clones that have a bright crisp tone without being harsh
Old 29th April 2016
Quote:
C800 or C800g? They are very different mics.

And the Ref Cardioid and Ref Gold are also two different mics!

I own 2 c800g. One from 4-5 years ago, and one we just bought about 6 months ago.

I understand that the gold and ref card are different. I own a gold, and have many hours of experience with the cardiod version (we traded ours for some production gear).

I think I've said it in another thread... I prefer the Ref Cardiod over the gold most of the time for voice. We kept the gold because we loved it for other sources. The cardiod was capable, but we needed to slim down a bit.

I stand by my statement. the Ref Cardiod does NOT sound like a c800g.
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan100 View Post
Thanks guys

I guess what I'm looking for are other non clones that have a bright crisp tone without being harsh
Brauner VM-1
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
I stand by my statement. the Ref Cardiod does NOT sound like a c800g.
As you can see, while that may have been your intent, that was not your statement. Which is why I asked you to clarify for the sake of others reading the thread now and in the future.
Old 29th April 2016
Quote:
As you can see, while that may have been your intent, that was not your statement. Which is why I asked you to clarify for the sake of others reading the thread now and in the future.
Yes, it was ambiguous. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Brauner VMX
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Brauner VMX
How does the valvet compare
Old 30th April 2016
Quote:
Thanks guys

I'm familiar with the clones [akita, vtb] I guess what I'm looking for are other non clones that have a bright crisp tone without being harsh
I'm confused. You don't want a clone but you want something that sounds like the Sony. If you want the C800g vibe, why don't you just by one??
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

CaptainMorgan100, do you have a plan for the near future?

And if so, would you care to share it with us?
Old 30th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm confused. You don't want a clone but you want something that sounds like the Sony. If you want the C800g vibe, why don't you just by one??
Just curious what oher mics have similar characteristics because the tubes die so fast on the sonys
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious what oher mics have similar characteristics because the tubes die so fast on the sonys
There is great misinformation (specially here on GS) in regards to tube life of the Sony C800G.
I own 2 & others that I know that own them never have had this problem.
The 2 inside the power supply will last at least a decade or more and the one inside the microphone will last at least 5 years.
I use them everyday.

And in so far as "What sounds like it?"; I, subjectively of course, have not heard anything that sounds like it.

I do love the Brauners (VM series) and the Manley (Ref C) but they are different than the Sony.
Old 30th April 2016
http://youtu.be/0YoJGsE1Fus
This is interesting but only a real C800G sounds quite a bit like another genuine C800G.
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
http://youtu.be/0YoJGsE1Fus
This is interesting but only a real C800G sounds quite a bit like another genuine C800G.
Soundpure is getting a lot of mileage out of that video on this thread! I posted a link to it earlier too!
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys

Just to be clear, the Akita is the only mic that is even close to being a true clone. It uses a very similar capsule and identical circuit, tube, and transformer, but with a little lower voltage, which ameliorates the short tube life issue the C800G is famous for.

The VTB has little relationship to the Sony. It just happens to sound similar to it. I've upgraded the capacitors in my VTB and it sounds much better as well as closer to the Sony.
Old 4th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Brauner VMX
probably my favorite Brauner,
its so 3d...
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

In short: No other mic sounds like the Sony C800G.
I've had a lot of mics in the past 20 yrs but always kept the C800G. Not because of how it sounds (you can always tweak or EQ) but because of what you have when tracking with it. It's like a very sharp knife cutting through anything (the mix) easily and much better than anything else I've had and heard. I don't say it fits with all sources, but when it fits, well... it kills!
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Addict

Ive heard a lot of people say that the telefunken cu-29 copperhead sounds a lot like the c800g. Ive never been able to compare so dont take my word for it.
Old 4th May 2016
Old 4th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
Ive heard a lot of people say that the telefunken cu-29 copperhead sounds a lot like the c800g. Ive never been able to compare so dont take my word for it.
No. it doesn't.
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear

The Bock 507 maybe?
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear
Contact Shannon Rhoades at www.micrehab.com he does custom capsule tuning and should be able to get you in the ballpark at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
I dont mean clones, I have read the ref c is similar but it sounds more scooped, are there any others that have the same sort of sound
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I guess what I'm looking for are other non clones that have a bright crisp tone without being harsh
I haven't used an 800G but bright and crisp without being harsh is exactly what I got my Telefunken AR51 for. So versatile but does airy so nicely. Definitely making it a pair at some point down the road.
Old 9th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
probably my favorite Brauner,
its so 3d...
I agree
Old 9th May 2016
Lives for gear
Ive owned a c800g for a while. It has a unique sound and nothing else comes close. I recently got Slate VMS and its the closest Ive come across but doesnt have the same exact response when moving around the mic. I dont have the c800g anymore but Id bet if u set up both mics positioned the same and did a take you'd have a hard time telling them apart.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search