The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mics are similar to the c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Just to be clear, the Akita is the only mic that is even close to being a true clone. It uses a very similar capsule and identical circuit, tube, and transformer, but with a little lower voltage, which ameliorates the short tube life issue the C800G is famous for.

The VTB has little relationship to the Sony. It just happens to sound similar to it. I've upgraded the capacitors in my VTB and it sounds much better as well as closer to the Sony.
The C800g runs the B+ @ 230v heater 5.7v . The Akita is at 203v heater 5.3v
When I was designing this mic, I spoke with Oliver Archut and he suggested under heating the tube to 5.3v. That has worked very well with the 6au6 tube.

The secret of the C800g sound is the 6au6 tube. It has a nice mild compression, clear, smooth and bright without being harsh. You cannot get the same response or sound from a different tube.

The Akita is different in that it I added 9 polar patterns. The circuit is the same and I use the same output and electrolytic capacitors. The mic is wired point to point with gold pins on a Plexiglas circuit board.

Attached Thumbnails
What mics are similar to the c800g-img_0064-1-.jpg   What mics are similar to the c800g-img_0041-1-.jpg   What mics are similar to the c800g-img_0053-1-.jpg  
Old 25th May 2016
SEED78
3u Audio Warbler MKVID is inspired by the C800g.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search