The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benchmark ADC1 vs Burl B2 ADC for Tracking Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Benchmark ADC1 vs Burl B2 ADC for Tracking

Hello fellow creatives! I hope everyone is doing well and making great music. I have a treated room, high end mic/preamp, so now I'm looking to make the best of that investment with high end AD conversion. Currently using apollo AD conversion (which is more than adequate in it's own right but I'm looking for that next level). Initially was going to try a new interface, but I love the creative workflow of the Apollo so I'd rather bring in an external ADC via optical in. I only need 2 channels as I only track vocals/instruments and synths.

I've had my eyes on the Burl B2 ADC for a while but the Benchmark ADC1 is more budget friendly. Would I be missing a world of difference by choosing the Benchmark over the Burl? Or would it be wiser to pony up and go for the Burl? I know at that level of quality I'm probably splitting hairs but I just want to spend once and be done with it.

If anyone here uses either of these units for tracking, I'd be very appreciative to hear about your tracking experience with them. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

What kinds of mics and pres? What kinds of music? Instrumentation? What kind of sound are you wanting?
Old 23rd April 2016
Burl hands down

I don't own a Benchmark ADC, but I will say, the Burl B2 ADC will blow your mind.
They are 2 totally different ADC's. Benchmark is known for transparency. The Burl has transformers in the Analog path and they make what you track sound like it is tracked on an analog recorder. Punchy, Fat, Warm and highly detailed. It really is all about what you are going for, but there is no way I would sell my Burl ADC. I track everything through it and it sounds great. I used to run a Studer A80 MkIV and Studer A810 2 Track. I missed them both a lot after I sold them. When I bought the Burl, I was back to happy land again.
Old 23rd April 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Benchmark is really not that transparent ala Lavry, Forssell, Mytek. Benchmark is actually quite punchy and lively. I've described it as a sort of API of converters.
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
What kinds of mics and pres? What kinds of music? Instrumentation? What kind of sound are you wanting?
Thanks for your reply! I actually left out the gear because I know some of the pieces are the source of arguments here on GS lol! But, I'll divulge. Right now my main vocal chain is U87ai > Avalon M5 or Great River > 1176 clone > Apollo. I record mostly rnb/soulful/pop type vocals. It's my own personal setup (not recording anyone else). I also track bass, lead guitar, and percussion instruments.

I'm already happy with the tracking quality as is so I'm definitely not trying to "fix" anything. Just looking to maximize what I already have by adding a converter that is on par quality-wise (that last 5% pretty much). What I'm looking for in the converter is versatility (not tied down to a particular sound), clarity, and stacks great in the mix.
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argali View Post
I don't own a Benchmark ADC, but I will say, the Burl B2 ADC will blow your mind.
They are 2 totally different ADC's. Benchmark is known for transparency. The Burl has transformers in the Analog path and they make what you track sound like it is tracked on an analog recorder. Punchy, Fat, Warm and highly detailed. It really is all about what you are going for, but there is no way I would sell my Burl ADC. I track everything through it and it sounds great. I used to run a Studer A80 MkIV and Studer A810 2 Track. I missed them both a lot after I sold them. When I bought the Burl, I was back to happy land again.
I've heard alot of great things about it! Almost pulled the trigger a few times but I was little worried about if it would stack well (since it's for tracking). Do you use it for tracking or to print mixes back through it?
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Maniac

B2 is warmer and more open.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search