The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NPNG - ISA 110 Your thoughts? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

NPNG - ISA 110 Your thoughts?

Hi audio lovers,
What do you think about them?
How the NPNG compare to the ISA? (mic pre section only)

Last edited by KIDBILL; 22nd April 2016 at 05:37 PM..
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

What a nice Thread my buddy !!!!

I love my NPNG and asap We'll make a shoot out hopefully

Do not forget your PV 76's too !!!

NPNG NW / Cadillac / Uberlux are liquid gold to my ears
Old 22nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post

NPNG NW / Cadillac / Uberlux are liquid gold to my ears
Old 22nd April 2016
member no 666

The ISA-110 has many more features... the NPNG sounds far larger, wider, and deeper... so its really a question of the goal you're trying to attain.

Peace
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The ISA-110 has many more features... the NPNG sounds far larger, wider, and deeper... so its really a question of the goal you're trying to attain.

Peace
Thanks Fletcher!
Indeed, I wanted to ask just about the mic pre section of the ISA compared to the NPNG.
Larger..wider..deeper..great things!!

Last edited by KIDBILL; 22nd April 2016 at 07:14 PM..
Old 22nd April 2016
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

The stock npng pre is my dream pre, it does something ive never heard another pre do.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

I would avoid the ISA LE, the eq is decent, line in, but the preamp sounds terrible.
I have some focusrites I bought years ago when Conway parted out their studio desk. I also have some forte pres out of the ELL console. The LE sounds nothing like these racked units I have. The LE is fuzzy and unfocused. while the original ISA110 pre is nothing special, it is still decent. They claimed LE was "exactly" the same as the original... no way..

Anyway if you want a nice pre and eq buy a CIB pure path.. They are great. If you need just a really flexible eq for short money look for the 9098 rack. It's similar to the CIB but without trannys and without comp. The Pre is boring but usable.

NPNG pre is way better than FR, but it's still on the mellow side of things but FR and NPNG are totally different units. why are you contemplating these 2 unit? You can't really compare them. For a 4 channel mic pre 3124 is great. Also wunder pa4 is a good value.
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Addict

The NPNG is in a class of its own. It has enormous presentation and sounds very real. What impresses me the most from them is their 'drive' in the rhythmic sense, effortless motion and speed on anything that jumps right out the speakers.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Hi nevefreak, I own myself 12 original focusrite isa mic pres from the electric lady console forte console.
I like them very much... and wanted to "compare" them as my great friend in Paris Remy bought some npng.
I used the CIB and know my ISA pretty well, and for me CIB was really not as good as ISA, it was really sibilant and thinner when I recorded some vocals with it! (U77)
What's strange to me is focusrite LE looks pretty much the same as the original 110 but has indeed been reported to be different sounding than OG 110. Maybe iron is not the same quality as the old ones? don't know
I never heard focusrite eq as "decent" but more on the "great" side. And albums recorded with ISA preamps sounds far from decent...!
How much would you ask for your forte from the Conway desk?

Last edited by KIDBILL; 24th July 2016 at 04:08 PM..
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
)
I used the CIB and know my ISA pretty well, and for me CIB was really not as good as ISA, it was really sibilant and thinner when I recorded some vocals with it! (U77)
I never stated CIB was better than a 110, I stated it was better than the LE 110. I don't know why the le would sound different but the pre was not that good

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
How much would you ask for your forte from the Conway desk?
the Conway desk was a "studio" desk not a forte. unless I have my model #s mixed up. I think they only made two forte' desks?? not sure... I wouldn't sell my 110s. I also have a pair of "85110"s as well which are original that precede the ISA11 racks.
I know sonic circus parted out the ELL forte and PAD parted out the conway desk. Call them, they may have some still lying around
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear
I can't talk about the FR 110 (old or new version), but I had a 428 (which as I recall had a 110 setting) and it was OK. Reference was made earlier to the RN CIB and 9098. In my opinion, the mic pre on the CIB is superb. It is detailed and full sounding. I certainly would not describe it as thin sounding or really siblant. I also have the 9098 mic pre with EQ. It's fine too and very transparent. Both of these units are superior to the 428.
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Yes indeed! only 2 forte one at AIR and one at EL I believe
And 428 must sound different not having the output toroidal Carnhill transformer!
Old 24th April 2016
Gear Addict

I love stock NPNG. Could you comennt about the differences and applications with the Cadillac and Uberlux versions?
Old 24th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I love stock NPNG. Could you comennt about the differences and applications with the Cadillac and Uberlux versions?
The Uberlux mod utilizes the same driver transistors for the output transformer, different capacitors for audio coupling and a different transformer. The output transformer is a Jensen JT-123-DM. It uses 4 windings (quadfilar). Both the primary and the secondary windings are wired in parallel.

This configuration yields a sonic signature which features a smoother / larger yet very well controlled bottom end. The midrange and top end are very close to the stock channels. The overall sound is similar to the stock channels but smoother and richer in tone and air. The sound stage is still very close to the source and even larger than the stock channels. The dimensionality is retained. This option is great for acoustic anything and loud sources as well.

The Cadillac option utilizes different driver transistors for the output transformer, different capacitors for audio coupling and a different transformer. The output transformer is a Cinemag CMOQ-2. It uses 4 windings (quadfilar). Both the primary and the secondary windings are wired in parallel.

This configuration yields a sonic signature which features a thicker yet extremely well controlled bottom end. The midrange is up slightly and the top end is slightly less aggressive. The sound stage is set back a little also but retains the dimensionality that the NPNG pre amplifiers are known for. Great for close up mics on guitars cabs etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search