The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony DPS V77 Algo Bug? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd April 2016
Here for the gear
Sony DPS V77 Algo Bug?

Just got two of these units, and both have the crazy fault of not limiting under any circumstances using curve A on the DAL limiting algorithm. Curve B works fine.

Curve A is featured in the grand preset 5 "Mastering" which is pretty hard to overlook. I'd be really interested to hear if any v77 users can verify either functionality or the same problem here. All I can imagine is that it was never checked properly when ported from the DAL-1000, or that there is a really bizarre mode of failure common to v77s where just one facet of an algorithm ceases to engage.

The algorithm is an upward compressor with very few controls, the key one being "ratio," which is really a gain from 0 to 6db. It is supposed to feed into a fixed threshold soft knee curve, effectively laying on more compression ratio as the input is amplified. The 0 to 6db amplification works fine, but all that ever applies with my two units on curve A is 1:1 no matter how hard it's driven by the "ratio" control or any prior internal amplification.
Old 22nd April 2016
Here for the gear
...best way to test is to set ratio to 100% and output level to -6db, feeding with a static tone.

Signals under the threshold will not be affected in this case, while those over should be increasingly reduced toward -6db as the input rises to 0db. But they aren't reduced at all!

(PS. I oversimplified by characterising the "ratio" control a gain stage. Below the threshold it effectively is, from 0 to +6db). The principle is to always give 0db output for 0db input and lift everything above the threshold by the corresponding soft-knee amount.)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search