The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stands for Coles 4038 Microphone Accessories
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Maniac

Stands for Coles 4038

Hi guys,

just wanted to get some opinions on heavy duty mic stands. I mostly do classical remote stuff and use a lot of LDC mics and so with the exception of my main array stands which are huge, my spot mic stands are quite light so that they are easy to carry etc...

Anyway, I've just purchased a pair of Coles 4038 and I just know that my usual stands wont be able to give enough weight and clamping strength to get the Coles into various overhead positions e.g. Drum OH.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to what stands you use with the coles / any very heavy mics that can really deal with the weight of these things.

Thanks, Dave
Old 21st April 2016
WAD
Gear Maniac

can't recommend these highly enough
Superlux MS 200 - Thomann UK

can't believe how cheap they are
Old 21st April 2016
Latch Lake Music

I would strongly recommend a Latch Lake Mic King 2200 for use with a pair of Coles 4038's on a Stereo Bar

DSPdoctor -
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Guru

and a Sandbag .. seriously .. i own a Coles and they are heavy little beautiful beasts .. i use Atlas Stand on Wheels with a Sandbag in case ..
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Maniac

I own one of the superlux and one of the Latch Lake 3300 and both work well.

My only problem with the superlux is it's such big beast and probably overkill for what I'd use it for - my first thought for this was the Latch Lake 2200 but they are expensive and would want two so like £800 + for both.

Has anybody used the offering from K&M with wheels and long boom? Looks interesting and less the £150 each.

Dave
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I put a weight off a dumbbell I found around the base of a stand. Works perfectly.
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
I own one of the superlux and one of the Latch Lake 3300 and both work well.

My only problem with the superlux is it's such big beast and probably overkill for what I'd use it for - my first thought for this was the Latch Lake 2200 but they are expensive and would want two so like £800 + for both.

Has anybody used the offering from K&M with wheels and long boom? Looks interesting and less the £150 each.

Dave
using a ultimate mc-125 with great results with an STC 4038.
Not too pricey but solid.
Never used a latch lake.
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I would strongly recommend a Latch Lake Mic King 2200 for use with a pair of Coles 4038's on a Stereo Bar

DSPdoctor -
I agree about Latch Lake.

If it needs to be portable, the micKing 1100 is an excellent stand - I bought a extra 4lb weight for mine so I have a clhoice of 2lb, 4lb or 6lb counterweight.

SOS review
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

I used to keep sandbag style ankle weights around, the kind you attach with Velcro to your ankle. I'd use a plan cheapie stand with things like Coles all the time and just slap a weight around the base when a mic was heavy and had zero problems for 12 years like that. Plus you gm can get mics like that into tighter spots with ease as compared to big boom stands.
Old 29th April 2016
Latche lake all the way for me
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
using a ultimate mc-125 with great results with an STC 4038.
Not too pricey but solid.
Never used a latch lake.
I have a pair of these.

A word of warning: I suggest you replace the bolts inside both clamp heads with high tensile versions.

In my Ultimate MC-125 stands two of the original bolts failed with stripped threads and in one case my Flea 47 almost hit the deck when the boom arm failed to lock.

Ultimate needs to address this issue if they haven't already.
The threads will almost certainly fail at some point.

Personally I would probably just buy a couple of Latchlakes as the Ultimates are borderline for heavy-duty studio use IMO.
Old 30th April 2016
Gear Maniac

K+M 21430 here. Very very solid and the wheels on the base are really useful. About half the price of a Latch Lake
Old 30th April 2016
Gear Nut

Latch Lake looks to be good. I finally went to Triad Orbit stands. That changed my life. Setting up my own recordings was something anoying before. I can now set up the mikes with my instrument in hand with no trouble.
Old 30th April 2016
After I had one hit the floor - Atlas
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

Ditto on the use of weights around the base. With that most well-built stands will be up to the task. Often I use an old style stand with a very heavy solid circular base and then a good-quality K&M arm. Or, the same with all K&M but with a 5lb weight above the tripod legs. The Triad are appealing but in my opinion the weight of the Coles will challenge the swivel Orbit mechanism.

Of course Atlas and Latch Lake are hard to beat.
Old 30th April 2016
Gear Addict

My 4038's live on a pair of Ultimate MC-125's and never come off. After speaking to a service rep at Ultimate last year, I learned a trick for roughing up a few edges that get worn smooth and it really took my MC-125's up a notch. Great bang for the buck stands that have proven to be solid for me.
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post

DSPdoctor -
I use the Latch Lake micKing 2200 Big Foot stands, but when I have a pair of 4038's on a stereo bar, I think it's best to add a 2nd counter weight to the stand.
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

get one of those. slide some of the weights over any ordinary k&m stand any you are more than good. lots of cash saved for more important things. unless you need a proper boom for the reach that is.

ps: the best way to mount them is via the string thingy. they are pretty sensitive to rumble
Attached Thumbnails
Stands for Coles 4038-dumbbell.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

I ordered myself 2 x Latch Lake 1100 stands in the end - I rarely do a crossed fig. 8 / Blumlein pair so no need to put them both on the same stand and I've seen some videos with some heavy looking mics on an LL 1100 stand and it looks pretty sturdy to me even at big reaches.

Dave
Old 5th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
My 4038's live on a pair of Ultimate MC-125's and never come off. After speaking to a service rep at Ultimate last year, I learned a trick for roughing up a few edges that get worn smooth and it really took my MC-125's up a notch. Great bang for the buck stands that have proven to be solid for me.
Would be very curious to hear this method! We've got a ton of Ultimate stands at our studio and some of them are just now starting to fail. It'd be awesome to prolong their life a bit –– they're such awesome stands.
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianthreetimes View Post
Would be very curious to hear this method! We've got a ton of Ultimate stands at our studio and some of them are just now starting to fail. It'd be awesome to prolong their life a bit –– they're such awesome stands.
Have you had any of the bolts strip their threads in the clamps?
I have just replaced all the bolts in our stands with high tensile versions.
Old 5th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I agree about Latch Lake.

If it needs to be portable, the micKing 1100 is an excellent stand - I bought a extra 4lb weight for mine so I have a clhoice of 2lb, 4lb or 6lb counterweight.

SOS review
In love with mine….especially when I need to hold an "anchor of a mic", like this Stager SR-1A,

I was testing this out yesterday and you can get away with A LOT using the MK1100. But for Higher up Drum Overhead recordings with TWO heavy mics, Big Foot 2200 with Double the Counter Weight. Yup. Heavy.

I don't do as much of that kind of thing…so I use the Mk1100 more these days. But doing a mono drum overhead [my style] with a heavy mic like the Stager or the 44CE, coles, etc..I would prefer to use my MK3300.
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Often I use an old style stand with a very heavy solid circular base and then a good-quality K&M arm. Or, the same with all K&M but with a 5lb weight above the tripod legs.
So the K&M arms are up to the task of holding 4038s?

Have a couple Atlas bases that need booms and may give K&Ms a try.
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillweed View Post
So the K&M arms are up to the task of holding 4038s?

Have a couple Atlas bases that need booms and may give K&Ms a try.
IMO it would depend on how far you want to extend the booms for OHs and whether you need to use e.g. the smallest-diameter extension of a K&M arm. For my purposes they've been up to the task but I've always used the thickest extension length, and not telescoped out further. If all you need is a bit of reach then I think they'll be ok provided the arms are otherwise in good working condition.
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianthreetimes View Post
I'm not at the studio at the moment so I can't really share pictures. I'll try to describe though. Each of the two joints is a kind of ball/cone-like knuckle sort of contraception. The ball/cone that sits inside the cup is made of some sort of really hard molded plastic. When it is new, it has pretty good "grab". But over time it wears smooth. At the suggestion of a service person at ultimate, I "roughed up" that smooth surface. I used a utility knife/boxcutter and scored X patters all around the contact area on the ball/cone. It really helped mine. Hope it helps you. I think Ultimate redesigned the components on the boom arm so that you can replace individual parts on site instead of having to order a whole new arm. Give them a call if you need further assistance. They were super helpful.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

So I just bought 4 x Latchlake 24" Xtra booms.
Highly recommended! They attach/fit to any stand and you get that bullet proof LL angle/length clutch.
I have never really had a problem with stands toppling over at the base but I have had a few do the sag thing - one of my 4038's went back for repair a couple years ago after a sag event! - expensive lesson learnt; that's when I bought my 2 x mickings - but they are SO expensive here in the uk!
& I've been feeling a bit anxious lately after adding a couple of C12s & a U67 to the line-up but I feel the Xtra Booms have got my ££ mic's safe and at a really reasonable price! I'll fork out for more mickings when I win my first Grammy...............tumbleweeds.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search