Quote:
Originally Posted by stenerlov View Post
On a budget nothing beats a DAV BG-1
DAV +1
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Groovetubes ViPre
Old 8th February 2007
I don't know how many people have had the luxury of tracking with four VIPres at the same time. I have. It's a treat. Definitely would fit the bill for a great four channel preamp.

You didn't mention budget. Just reminding everyone before I get jumped again.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear
EVERY good quality pre that you LIKE "does it all"

just find the one you LIKE.

I routinely make records using only all the pres in the desk,
often that means an API or a discrete Neve for me.

but I also do records using just Daking outboard pres (that's what I have at home)

in either case, one high quality pre does EVERYTHING with EVERY mic perfectly well.
Better.

there's no such thing as "marrying" pres to either mics or instruments.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

hardy

john hardy M1
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
EVERY good quality pre that you LIKE "does it all"

just find the one you LIKE.

I routinely make records using only all the pres in the desk,
often that means an API or a discrete Neve for me.

but I also do records using just Daking outboard pres (that's what I have at home)

in either case, one high quality pre does EVERYTHING with EVERY mic perfectly well.
Better.

there's no such thing as "marrying" pres to either mics or instruments.
At last! Someone speaks the truth!!!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've got Hardy M1's, API 512's and GRNV's.

If I were to pick the best "all arounder" it would be without any hesitation the Hardy M1

Absolutely beautiful.

-Z-
Old 8th February 2007
member no 666

The "NPNG" has become my "go to" pre-amp for most of my overdubs... it won't hit the market for another month or two but the thing is absolutely mind blowing... if you're in a hurry, the Martech MSS-10 is also stunning... and needless to say I'm a huge fan of the Great River MP-2NV... though the Chandler TG-2 sees a lot of action in my world as does the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 and the API 3124MB+ while the Littlelabs LMNOPre is probably the most versatile unit in the arsenal... the DW Fearn and the Pendulum Audio MDP-1A and the Sebatron 2000 are very, very nice in the world of tube based hardware while the TAB-funkenwerks V-78M has the richest texture of all my tube based pre's but doesn't have quite the depth as the Thermionic Culture "Earlybird 2" though the Crane Song "Flamingo" and the John Hardy "M-1" have never let me down... then again there is the Crane Song "Spider" if you need mix and A/D conversion capability while adding some "tape like" emulation to the audio... the GML pres are absolutely clean as a whistle which can give you a ton of space in your recording(s) and Fred Forssell out in Idaho is building some other pres that are just like being there... so I dunno... maybe you should figure this out for yourself instead of asking for opinions from people you've never met who've done stuff you've never heard.

Just a thought... not necessarily a good one.

Peace.
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
I'm particularly fond of the FAT Flamingo.
I like the skinny Flamingo better. Before all those peanut butter and 'nana sandwiches. I think they ought to put the skinny Flamingo on a stamp.

Sorry if you're too young to get it.
Old 8th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naokiman View Post
I'm fairly new here and I gotta say... most of the responders didn't really read the original post. why are so many people responding without reading the question more carefully? it's not just on this post, but so many others.

half of the responses are absolutely useless. even though they provide good opinions and insight on some nice gear, they don't help out the original poster at all.

I won't even say what the obvious oversight is. many of you know what I'm talking about.

haha no, I'm not mad or pissed... maybe just venting a little!
Give me some credit. I mentioned an all around swiss army knife preamp (STT-1 Origin) and it's eight younger brothers (HV-3D 8 ch.), by the way it comes in fours and two's. Don't get mad at me because you're not familiar with that equipment. While Millenia isn't the flavor of the week in preamps there's not many here that can honestly say anything bad about them and if they do, i'd question how much time they've spent with this particular line of gear. Most say it's too clean
or lacks color. I say that's not always a bad thing depending on what your recording. At any rate I think the gear is great!!!

That's my thought and MHO.

Peace!
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I try to keep it to two mic pres per record. If I'm on a desk with 31105s, 1081s or Sunset Sound pres then there's no reason to patch in anything else.

Steven

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search