The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve V3 meterbridge problem - can anybody help??
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Neve V3 meterbridge problem - can anybody help??

Hi, I am just working on a Neve V3 desk and wonder if it is possible to have the meters not only on the tape returns, but also on the line inputs. Is there a option to switch them? Or to build a switch-box? The local tech told me that it's not possible, is this right, or is he just too lazy to solder?? Thanks!
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

It's possible. Not much fun (or cheap) though.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Ron,

the meters pick signal off the patch bay- correct?

Would the mod you are talking about involve addtional wiring to the line input side of the bay?

has your VR had this done?

it is something that would be sometimes useful on my VR.

My desk is an old one without dynamics metering- i'm dreaming of a way to switch one of the plasmas as a gain reduction meter, when that might be desired. i'd give up the PPM for gain reduction...

although I am learing to just use my ears when using the strip dynamics.

and guess what, I like em OK-

just was curious if anyone is doing these mods to VR's

thanks,
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi Ron, does this mean that I have to pick up the signal from the line input /patchbay? So I have to build a switch where I can select between the source of the metering? Is there no internal routing of the metering signal? Thanks!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I'm swamped for the next few days and unfortunately don't have time to get into this in depth. Maybe by Sunday I can have some detailed answers. In the mean time try some of the tech forums(?) ?

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

The tech is mostly correct. The switch, level set and drive circuits are inside the module. Conversion requires an interface bd somewhere. Some go in the module and pick up the meter feed and then switch the line from a tap inside the module, buffer it and send it. a tap from right after the line amp (not mic) has the correct level. you can take anywhere in the module and drop it 10db (passive attenuator) and then inject it in place of the buss or the monitor feed to the meters. I have 48 of the 'Studio City Sound' type of boards that do this switching internally. 10 bucks each by the batch.'
Peace
John
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

The patch points feed both the small fader and the meters. Some times the patch is wired so the backside of the line in 1/2 normal is then sent to the lower monitor section's "multi-track out put row, which is usually mult-ed off the tape O/Ps and then normal-ed into the monitor input jack. This way the small fader follows crosspatches on the line input. The console 'feels' like it has line I/P metering

John
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks John, never thought I'd see ya post, daddy-o (saved me a phone call) ! Stick around, you'll see some funny s**t go down.

Gents, what he said.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks John, never thought I'd see ya post, daddy-o (saved me a phone call) ! Stick around, you'll see some funny s**t go down.

Gents, what he said (I'd buy the piggybacked boards....$10 ??!!)

Ron Allaire, Skyline

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search