The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Serviced 1988 U87AI, big sound difference between polar patterns? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Nut

Serviced 1988 U87AI, big sound difference between polar patterns?

I just bought a broken U87AI and got it repaired by Neumann/Sennheiser. The capsule was replaced, and it sounds awesome now!

However I only tested it in cardoid. When I put it in Omni, it sounds pretty thin.. I know omni is more natural without a hyped sound but this sound is almost like it's a telephone filter.

Then when I put it in figure 8, it sounds very muffled and fatty. Almost like it's missing the frequencies that stand out so much in omni, and the other way around.

It still doesn't sound bad and I can imagine some applications where the sound might be nice, but it's a pretty big difference.

Is this normal? Or is something wrong?
Front and backside of the capsule sound the same in omni and 8 and in cardoid it sounds sublime.
Capsule is a brand new k870 neumann official capsule.

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2016
What you are saying makes sense to me. Each polar character sounds different. And much like the way you describe. However, if it sounds like a "telephone" in omni, perhaps you have an issue. But I can't interpret it beyond that.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search