The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD/DA for PTHD
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

AD/DA for PTHD

What solutions are there for PTHD other than the 96,192, and Rosetta 800 w/ HD card?

Are there any other ones? I can get a 192 I/O for $1995 brand new so I'm thinking I might do that, but I'd honestly rather have a Rosetta 800 w/ HD card.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

You should also check out the Lynx Aurora. Lynx has a HD card for the Aurora's (like Apogee has for the Rosetta). If you can I would listen to both the Aurora and Rosetta, get the one you like.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

so the lynx aurora does have an HD card!

I doubt I'll have access anywhere to A/B them so can anyone that has a Rosetta 800 or Aurora running into HD give me their opinions on the sound?

I record alot of hardcore, heavy metal, and heavy rock if that helps at all. i want something full, warm, and thick (but who doesn't).
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I did a shootout with both. I liked them both but on different things.

If you can manage it you should A/B.

In the end I went with the lynx as it was cheaper and I liked how it sounded

It works great with the HD rig. For what it's worth I record a lot of pop/rock/indie/world/avant classical, not so much heavy stuff.

As per the sound I would says it's more neutral than a 192 but seems to have a bit more "depth" and a little more detail. The apogee seemed more "punchy" for lack of a better word.. I really stink at descriptions, sorry.

If I could have afforded it, I probably would have gotten the AD16x, 20% for the sound and 80% for marketing purposes. In the end I went with more i/o, 32 channels for a little over 5k.

joel
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

The SSL alpha series have a rack unit too...
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/mus...elta_link.html
You can add any MADI interface
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

i really want to just hear these, but there are no high end stores around here that have 192 i/o, lynx aurora, or rosetta 800 in stock, much less in stock together to A/B.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

lynx aurora with the LTHD card is currently the best deal going. 32 i/o for a little over $6k. ridonkulous.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

The people at http://www.daleproaudio.com/ were kind enought to let me demo an Aurora8. Someone else lent me a rosetta800 to compare.

Most reputable dealers (I believe) will allow you to demo the converters if you can cover the cost on a credit card. It's probably prohibitively expensive to get both but you might be able to swing it.

if you're willing to drive 4 hours I'd bet that the people at chuck levin's/ washington professional sytems could arrange it for you.

http://www.wpsworld.com/

I'm sure there are some stores in atlanta but I don't know them.

joel
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
I record alot of hardcore, heavy metal, and heavy rock if that helps at all. i want something full, warm, and thick (but who doesn't).
Me? I'm also looking for new AD and I want something accurate, not a converter that is going to color my sound. I'm looking and Mytek and Lavry.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Me? I'm also looking for new AD and I want something accurate, not a converter that is going to color my sound. I'm looking and Mytek and Lavry.
Hi, just FYI, There is a direct Ptools HD interface card available for Mytek 8X192ADDA as well.

Regards , Michal www.mytekdigital.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search