The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Size for floating closets
Old 6th February 2007
Size for floating closets

I am building a studio and part of the construction is two floating closets to be used for acoustically sealed AMPs. I need to make sure that I accommodate for the proper size dimensions.
Any advice for the cleared inside dimension of these closets will be appreciated.

Right now I got one closet 6'8"x4'4" (4' high) and one closet 4'3"x4'4" (4' high), I am wandering if I can make them any smaller.
Your comments are welcome, thanks.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauli View Post
Right now I got one closet 6'8"x4'4" (4' high) and one closet 4'3"x4'4" (4' high), I am wandering if I can make them any smaller.
Your comments are welcome, thanks.
Any time you have a very small recording room like this, you need to make it totally dead sounding to get a clean recording. The absorption also has to be effective to low frequencies, which rules out 1-inch thick foam or fiberglass. I'd plan on a minimum of 4 inch thick rigid fiberglass or equivalent commercial product.

That said, the smaller the room, the worse the sound will be. There is no one right answer here. But try to make the room dimensions as different as possible. For example, 4'3" by 4'4" by 4' is almost a cube and should be avoided. You can use my ModeCalc program to determine better proportions:

www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search