The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rca Ku3a vocals Ribbon Microphones
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

isnt that wy too much money for a ribbon? it would certainly be for me. its a freakin ribbon and a transformer in a metal case. wtf. now, the ribbon will certainly be worn out. which leaves you with some akward re-ribbon and a transformer and well - a metal housing for 5k. great deal!
i thought i overpaid when i bouht got a pair of melodiums for 400 a piece.....

sounds similar stupid as buying a u47 for 10k to me honestly
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefire View Post
I spoke to Clarence Kane today. I will send the microphone to him.
Congrats on the purchase! I am sure Mr Kane will get that microphone tuned and singing. The Ku3a is a really cool ribbon mic and really rare as many have already pointed out. The only time I ever heard one I was really taken by the amount of solid midrange presence the mic provided without sounding out of balance. I have ribbons that I turn to when I need that kind of midrange presence but they are microphones that sound "mid rangey" and I use them for the effect. Somehow the Ku3a has that strong quality in the mids while remaining full range. It's too bad they are so rare and expensive because I would love to own a pair. I will probably check out the AEA Ku4 pretty soon. It would be really cool if you could post some pics when you get the mic back from Mr Kane.
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
isnt that wy too much money for a ribbon? it would certainly be for me. its a freakin ribbon and a transformer in a metal case. wtf. now, the ribbon will certainly be worn out. which leaves you with some akward re-ribbon and a transformer and well - a metal housing for 5k. great deal!
i thought i overpaid when i bouht got a pair of melodiums for 400 a piece.....

sounds similar stupid as buying a u47 for 10k to me honestly
Well, yes it is a lot of money, but considering this one is mint and the ku4 is pretty much the same price in europe--and I can send it back if I'm not happy with it, it seems like an okay deal. As I mentioned I've tried quite a few microphones and I've come to the conclusion that I really do prefer the ribbon sound on my voice. Here is a picture of a some of the mics that I've tried if anyone is interested: Mics to everyone's likes | Moonmusic

And the pictures of the ku-3a: https://www.flickr.com/photos/140321...57667242000562
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow it's in amazing condition!
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Wow it's in amazing condition!
Yes! It even comes with the original wooden box.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Nut
For those interested: I received the microphone a few days ago. I think it sounds nicer than my AEA 44.

Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those interested: I received the microphone a few days ago. I think it sounds nicer than my AEA 44.

That's unbelievably clean!
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Here's a related link:

Hannah Barbera Studios

Lot of classic soundtrack vocal material (TV and movie) recorded with those mics.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Nut
Some more photographs. Tested the mic in my small room. It sounds very intimate and smooth to me, more proximity than the aea 44 which I find strange. Can't wait to try it in a much larger room. My only complaint is the shock mount, it's pretty flimsy. I'll see if AEA can sell me a better one, hopefully the AEA ku4 shock mount also fits the RCA ku-3a.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tracked a bunch of live lead vocals with one recently, I alternated between having an BK-11A and a Samar MF-65 next to it as a different ribbon option. The KU-3A just sounded more like a lead vocal than the other two. I might've chosen one of the other mics if it was a BGV.

I found the mount iffy, so I tried the largest Rycote (such as fits a U-47) and it works, just barely fits, much more secure.

We had nice U-47 as the ambient pickup, and a U-67 as the other singer's lead vocal mic; we didn't lack for choices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search