The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Smart Console - Smart AV - WOW!!!!!
Old 7th February 2007

LOL - sounds like your Tactile Technologies M4000 might have you a bit biased

functionally what they are doing is unique and obviously has the support enough to get it this far that the company has produced these units - i'd like to see them in action or at least hear from some people that have experience using them in terms of reliability and usability with which daws

i think i like the look of their

over your

Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah the M4000 is ugly, too, but at least it works the way I want a console, too, as far as I can afford. In fact, part of why I held out getting an m4000 was that the layout just seemed sort of alien to me, but alas, for someone like myself who does most of their work mixing without the artist present but still needs an analog console, it seemed like a good decision. I still haven't received Brian's old board yet, so I can't comment too much on it, but I plan on sprucing it up, quite literally, a bit.

I've owned nicer looking boards than the m4000, IMO. It defintely lacks the visual "wow" factor that clients so seem to love, but I'd rather have the sonic "wow" instead.
Old 7th February 2007

heh - i remember the first live mixing board i bought in 85' - a yamaha MC1204 -
i loved that board!

if the future is heading all digital / ITB - smart av has a great product - i have a feeling many will continue to use tube pre's and analog outboard gear to bring it in - but from there? with SACD and 5.1, 7.1, and now i'm hearing rumours of 14.1 surround - sheesh

Soundmirror / Boston Classical bought one last year and checkout what genex and smart av are up to
Old 8th February 2007

anyone with real world experience???

this thing seems to be about the most sluttziest piece of gear i've seen in a long time - for anyone mixing ITB or migrating from an analog board it appears to be the ultimate

move over MCU - here comes something A LOT meatier
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
Anyone on here have real world experience with

or

http://www.smartav.net/

Looks like an incredible idea / product - with promise and works with Logic, Nuendo, and ?

The smaller looks like something even us home studio guys could work with. any clue what pricing is?

this has me pretty excited / curious / intrigued

anyone seen one or know anything?
I both, love it and hate it passionately, at the same time.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd still take a Studer
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Unbelievable!

I can't stop laughing...
The pic of the old phone!
You guys are toooooo much...

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 9th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab View Post
I both, love it and hate it passionately, at the same time.
please do tell

Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
With "real world" monitor placement. I'd mix there.
Yeah, there's nothing like a pair of Urei "Huge Ass Classic Rock" monitors about a foot from your head.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Ha ha! The phone pic is great!
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Ha ha! The phone pic is great!
I think "Smart AV" is now "Smart Ass"
Old 10th February 2007

Quote:
I think "Smart AV" is now "Smart Ass"
did someone from Smart AV pop on here?
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Still can't figure out why people call the Icon and this Smart AV a CONSOLE???
It passes NO audio.
It's mouse with great control over all parameters of a DAW, but not a console....I know this has been said before, I just don't get it.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
It passes NO audio.
It's mouse with great control over all parameters of a DAW, but not a console....I know this has been said before, I just don't get it.
Its the console of the fuuuuuuuuuuuutuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure
Old 10th February 2007

Quote:
Its the console of the fuuuuuuuuuuuutuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure
Old 22nd June 2007
A33
Gear Addict

Anyone know the real prices?

Is the logic one $19000?
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It passes NO audio.

Well if you want to argue semantics, go to an authoratative source:
(see entry #6 in particular)

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
con·sole2 [kon-sohl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a television, phonograph, or radio cabinet designed to stand on the floor rather than on a table or shelf.
2. the control or monitoring unit of a computer, containing the keyboard or keys, switches, etc.
3. a desklike structure containing the keyboards, pedals, etc., by means of which an organ is played.
4. a small cabinet standing on the floor and having doors.
5. console table.
6. the control unit of a mechanical, electrical, or electronic system: the console that controls a theater's lighting system.
7. Architecture. an ornamental corbel or bracket, esp. one high in relation to its projection.
8. Automotive. a tray or container typically divided into compartments, mounted between bucket seats, and used for storing small items.
9. Nautical. a unit on a vessel containing steering apparatus, systems monitoring equipment, etc.: a bridge console, an engine-room console.
[Origin: 1700–10; < F; MF consolle bracket or support, appar. shortening of consolateur (attested in MF with same sense) lit., one who consoles (< LL cons?l?tor; see console1, -ator), perh. because such supports served as rests in choir stalls, etc.; cf. misericord]

At what point does a console become not a console? Is it a matter of proximity to the actual audio path? In a traditional console the signal is passing just under the knobs & faders, in a some digital console's it's still pretty close, but in the Euphonix or Harrison series 12/ MPC the surface controls audio electronics that are remoted- does that make them not consoles? If the surface happens to be controlling audio in a box not sold by the same manufacturer that made the surface, is that what makes it not a console?
????? What difference does it make? Let's get on to making some music.
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The top one looks like a giant 'bat phone.'
LOLOLOLOLMFAO
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It passes NO audio.

I would think that maybe some day... the day that you are able to figure out the difference between a digital console and an analog console you will understand why.

Maybe you should start by accepting the fact that there are digital consoles. I think that would be the first step in the process.
Old 9th July 2007

wow - this thing is still alive

Smart AV just released a new line - i dont think these guys are going away - i think they are onto something.
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Still can't figure out why people call the Icon and this Smart AV a CONSOLE??? It passes NO audio.

by definition --- and common usage --- a console is simply a centralized cluster of controls; most consoles on the planet have nothing whatsoever to do with audio. historically, consoles in recording studios manipulated audio represented by voltage, but starting in the 80's many began to manipulate audio represented by 1's and 0's. now at least as many as not manipulate data streams that control computers.

here're a few questions: is the stuff flowing thru a neve actually audio? or does it become audio only when it's pushed out the speaker? what's the difference between sound and audio?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 1st December 2010
News Desk Editor

Smart av 2.5

Smart AV announces their new Tango Console Operating Software version 2.5.

As part of this upgrade, the 2.5 operating system software features a range of new features for many DAW engines, Logic Pro benefits from the ability to now insert plug ins directly from the tango surface, as well as control and remove them, while Nuendo boasts increased jog wheel shuttle capability along with in- depth protocol control of all major Nuendo 5 features.

Pyramix features a number of great updates for professional users such as being able to individually assign channel strip features into different automation modes, for instance having your EQ in Touch, Dynamics in Latch and Sends in Read, this has already proved powerful with beta testers who have mixed films using this new feature and commented on its brilliance.

Tango users have found true value in the product due in part to the constant software updates that have made their way under the hood of the Tango since its release 3 years ago. An astonishing 10 major software revisions have seen many new features added, as well as support for new DAW engines and also a number of upgrades, bug fixes and user inspired features that all make their way into the hefty software releases over the past 3 years.

For more information log onto SmartAV and for a virtual tour of the Tango.
Attached Thumbnails
The Smart Console - Smart AV - WOW!!!!!-14.jpg   The Smart Console - Smart AV - WOW!!!!!-43.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Am I the only one, who actually likes the design and ergonomy of either the Smart Console and the Tango? heh I know most music guys don't like software controllers, because in their eyes they are just big overpriced imitations of a proper mixing console (and I definitely see the point behind this statement), but for us post guys these things are great. We work almost exclusively ITB and we need a great control surface to work fast and efficiently. Can't imagine mixing something like the Avatar with a mouse. heh
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Major endorsement of the SmartAV here!
The Tango is a VERY good controller with no competition at all in its pricerange.
Old 7th March 2011
$120k for a control surface! LOL!!!! I bet they haven't sold one yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisha View Post
I've seen it at the AES in Barcelona a couple of years ago, it's a very solid unit built with very good components, I've played with it a few minutes and seemed to be really intuitive; the biggest problem is the price, if I remember correctly the E96 with 24 faders was $120k

Marco
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonharris View Post
$120k for a control surface! LOL!!!! I bet they haven't sold one yet!
You have never seen the D-Control or System5-MC? They are in the same price range and are very popular in professional studios.

You are a music guy, right? Many music engineers tend to be shocked by prices of these hi-end controllers and say things like "LOL" and "noone sane can buy a $120k mouse", and so on. But don't forget that there is also the film and TV industry. Mixing audio for film/TV is a completely different world and what's utterly useless for most music production ($120k "mouse") can be absolutely vital here. If you look at it from the other side, many music engineers like those vintage analog mixing desks, because of their sound, and are willing to pay riddiculous amount of money for them - but for me as a post engineer, they would be completely useless, because I couldn't do my job on them. Different worlds, different needs. The Smart Console is a briliant concept which offers a VERY fast workflow. It's a dream of many post engineers. It's very expensive, but in the end it will most likely pay off.
Old 7th March 2011
System5-MC is a much more serious console, full sized as opposed to desktop DAW with Mackie integration. The D-Control is much less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakir_cz View Post
You have never seen the D-Control or System5-MC? They are in the same price range and are very popular in professional studios.

You are a music guy, right? Many music engineers tend to be shocked by prices of these hi-end controllers and say things like "LOL" and "noone sane can buy a $120k mouse", and so on. But don't forget that there is also the film and TV industry. Mixing audio for film/TV is a completely different world and what's utterly useless for most music production ($120k "mouse") can be absolutely vital here. The Smart Console is a briliant concept which offers a VERY fast workflow. It's a dream of many post engineers. It's very expensive, but in the end it will most likely pay off.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
System5-MC is a much more serious console, full sized as opposed to desktop DAW with Mackie integration.
Well, I've seen the demo of both (S5-MC and Smart Console) and I don't see why would the E96 be less serious than the Euphonix. Its unique workflow can actually make you faster than on any conventional and physically larger control surface. It's maybe because I'm young and haven't spent hundreds of hours behind large scale analog desks, but to me personally the ergonomy of the Smart Console seems very effective.

The Mackie integration is surely inferior to the EuCon used in Euphonix consoles, but the Smart Console was primarily designed to work with Pyramix, where the integration is seamless. If they get the EuCon there, it might start to look much more interesting for use with Nuendo and PT.

Quote:
The D-Control is much less expensive.
The D-Control can be much less expensive, but can be also more expensive (i.e. the 64 fader two-operator setup, or similar configs). In any case, for someone it will still look as an insanely expensive mouse.
Old 25th August 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Smart AV Console for sale.

Smart av smart console w/ desk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search