The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphone output quality on UAD Twin vs High quality Headphone Amp? Studio Headphones
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

As i say i have a Chord Mojo which is generally considered one of the best DAC's under £1000 so im happy with that part.

Its more the interface i can SPDIF it with so i have recording functionality and use of monitors if I wanted
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Guru

I don't know if it helps you but I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for basic interfacing needs, including MIDI, SPDIF, mic and line ins, multiple headphone amps, etc. It was a steal at the price I got it for. My favorite part about it is how well it's designed and how easy it is to use. I use my Tascam and Emotiva DACs via its SPDIF out.
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

just try a couple of headphone amps and compare
I use hd650 and hd800 and both sounds much better with a dedicated headphone amp
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
The headphone amp I use has no DAC, it's analog, and therefore no drivers are employed. It's a fully balanced input from the slave outs on my monitor controller.
Same here.
I've been using the hd-600 for years, then moved to the hd-800, with a very open soundstage.
I learned that the use of a dedicated headphone amp is essential to take full advantage of the potential of those cans.
I use my hd-800 driven by the Qes Labs Hpba-2s. It's my actual combo to reference a mix or for my mastering duties:
precise true to the source reproduction, flat, no color, hyper fast, detailed.
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Nut

the headphone outs on the Apollo 8 BF are not good at all for me, -so I use the SPDIF out to a Lavry DA10 converter and use it to monitor and
for its awesome headphone amp. Major difference, ..... you get what you pay for

I thought the Apollo 8 BF could be an all-in-one unit, with good converters, monitor controller, headphone amp/routing.....but its lacking in a major way.
But i keep it as a dongle for the so so plugs and for auxilary I/O's. If I hadn't invested so many $$ in the plugs, i'd sell it as a consumer product, on par
with MOTUs 828thunder's etc. My 2 cents.....out
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
the headphone outs on the Apollo 8 BF are not good at all for me, -so I use the SPDIF out to a Lavry DA10 converter and use it to monitor and
for its awesome headphone amp. Major difference, ..... you get what you pay for

I thought the Apollo 8 BF could be an all-in-one unit, with good converters, monitor controller, headphone amp/routing.....but its lacking in a major way.
But i keep it as a dongle for the so so plugs and for auxilary I/O's. If I hadn't invested so many $$ in the plugs, i'd sell it as a consumer product, on par
with MOTUs 828thunder's etc. My 2 cents.....out
“Lacking in a major way, dongle, so so plugs.”

It would be my pleasure to help you out be adopting your Apollo 8, no worries. You don’t even have to pay me any money! I can send you my address details in a pm if you want. ;-)
Old 5th December 2017
Another nice option for a headphone amp is the latest Rupert Neve headphone amp.
RNHP Headphone Amplifier
Old 27th January 2018
Here for the gear

I've tested the UAD Apollo Twin and the Rupert Neve RNHP headphone outs and there is a difference but it's not mindblowing. The RNHP has more detail, clarity, and punchiness, and for whatever reason I can listen with cans for longer periods of time. I think the headphones are more important because the UAD is decent and has plenty of gain so if you're strapped for cash I would forego the amp. I'm still keeping the RNHP FWIW.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search