The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analog gain reduction meter adjustment question
Old 13th April 2016
  #1
Gear Nut
analog gain reduction meter adjustment question

Hey guys, problably a stupid question.
My Drawmer 1968 ME is showing a strange behaviour in the gain reduction meter.
In silence, with no signal in, stays at +3 db.
My question:
Is the gain reduction only happening when the needle is going below 0, or, in the case of meter not properly aligned, i can consider this +3 db the "new zero"?
I can see the needle punping a lot in the 0-3db area, but i cant hear a lot happening sonically.
I know this is probably really basic but it i am kind new to gain reduction analog vu meters!
Thanks
Old 14th April 2016
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
Hey guys, problably a stupid question.
My Drawmer 1968 ME is showing a strange behaviour in the gain reduction meter.
In silence, with no signal in, stays at +3 db.
My question:
Is the gain reduction only happening when the needle is going below 0, or, in the case of meter not properly aligned, i can consider this +3 db the "new zero"?
I can see the needle punping a lot in the 0-3db area, but i cant hear a lot happening sonically.
I know this is probably really basic but it i am kind new to gain reduction analog vu meters!
Thanks
+3db is the new zero. But you could just recalibrate the meters like this:

Switch the meters to G.R.
1. Using Preset R50 set the GR meter to give a reading of +3dBu.
2. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R82).
3. Adjust preset R48 on Channel 1 to set the GR meter to read 0dB.
4. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R80).
5. Rotate the THRESHOLD control on Channel 1 clockwise to show 10dBs of gain reduction on the VU meter of the unit.
6. Switch the unit back to GR and adjust preset R36 to give a gain reduction of 10dB.
7. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R86).
8. Remove the Gain Reduction. Repeat above steps until no further adjustment is necessary.
9. Switch between VU and GR and check that the meters are identical. Adjust as necessary.
Old 18th April 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Drawmer 1968 ME Calibration Method:

Or......you could Simply go about things the right way and go straight here where I Stuck the Drawmer 1968 ME Drawmer Compressor Alignment procedure, it's nothing to tough and you'll be up and running ASAP!

Drawmer 1968 ME Calibration Method!

Good luck!
Old 18th April 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
+3db is the new zero. But you could just recalibrate the meters like this:

Switch the meters to G.R.
1. Using Preset R50 set the GR meter to give a reading of +3dBu.
2. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R82).
3. Adjust preset R48 on Channel 1 to set the GR meter to read 0dB.
4. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R80).
5. Rotate the THRESHOLD control on Channel 1 clockwise to show 10dBs of gain reduction on the VU meter of the unit.
6. Switch the unit back to GR and adjust preset R36 to give a gain reduction of 10dB.
7. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R86).
8. Remove the Gain Reduction. Repeat above steps until no further adjustment is necessary.
9. Switch between VU and GR and check that the meters are identical. Adjust as necessary.
While Trev certainly knows his comps it's all laid out for you here!

Drawmer 1968 ME Calibration Method!
Old 18th April 2016
  #5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
+3db is the new zero. But you could just recalibrate the meters like this:

Switch the meters to G.R.
1. Using Preset R50 set the GR meter to give a reading of +3dBu.
2. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R82).
3. Adjust preset R48 on Channel 1 to set the GR meter to read 0dB.
4. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R80).
5. Rotate the THRESHOLD control on Channel 1 clockwise to show 10dBs of gain reduction on the VU meter of the unit.
6. Switch the unit back to GR and adjust preset R36 to give a gain reduction of 10dB.
7. Repeat for Channel 2 (Preset R86).
8. Remove the Gain Reduction. Repeat above steps until no further adjustment is necessary.
9. Switch between VU and GR and check that the meters are identical. Adjust as necessary.
Thanks a Trevor !But I am feeling like a complete stupid...
What are those "Presets R86,80"? I dont have any clue of what that is!!!
Old 18th April 2016
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
Thanks a Trevor !But I am feeling like a complete stupid...
What are those "Presets R86,80"? I dont have any clue of what that is!!!

If you lift the hood there are a number of flip switches inside.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump