The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
really colourful character compressor for vocals? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd July 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post

running out of things to sell.

I sold like 6 other things to afford my M66, totally ran out of things to sell - I'd have to loose my Studer mixer to buy anything else.

Lots of rack space free now!
Old 3rd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I sell my gear too cheap.
Honestly, it's nice. This stuff gets so expensive, and you helped someone else get into 'em.

That's exactly how people like me get to try cool stuff, so Thank you.

The m66 is basically at the top of my "pie in the sky" list. I'd pretty much have to win the lottery to spend that kind of money on a single channel of compression, but I still dream about. It must sound beautiful. Do you track with it or mostly just mix? Where would you say it shined? Seems like you probably tried the pair on bus duties, what did you think of that? Would you say it resembles anything else you've heard?

I've coveted them for a long time, and would love a reference point. Sorry for the 20 questions
Old 3rd July 2017
How's this for flavour Remy?
Attached Thumbnails
really colourful character compressor for vocals?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2017
SEED78
Old 3rd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Honestly, it's nice. This stuff gets so expensive, and you helped someone else get into 'em.

That's exactly how people like me get to try cool stuff, so Thank you.

The m66 is basically at the top of my "pie in the sky" list. I'd pretty much have to win the lottery to spend that kind of money on a single channel of compression, but I still dream about. It must sound beautiful. Do you track with it or mostly just mix? Where would you say it shined? Seems like you probably tried the pair on bus duties, what did you think of that? Would you say it resembles anything else you've heard?

I've coveted them for a long time, and would love a reference point. Sorry for the 20 questions
It makes everything larger than life, which is what I like about it.
It's magic. The Pomchild and the 099 do the same thing in their own ways too.
They shine on everything. I love them all. The Thermionic Phoenix was a gateway drug......

Thanks for the other comments. I've sold and traded and given away so much grail gear at affordable rates, because if it's one thing I can't stand it's these tight arsed gits who would rather hold on to gear and hype the value.
I'd rather the standard of recordings was higher all round than a few dudes with low talent hoarding stuff.
Only time I charge top dollar is when I need a new roof etc. Building proper studios is really expensive. No wonder no one does it anymore.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
Guys do yourself a favor and try an Amtec 099 pure joy and tons of colors you can deal with !!!
+1!

The Amtec 099 is about the best things I've heard on vocals and bass. I'm awaiting a modified stereopair. Really Excited!
Old 4th July 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Thermionic Phoenix was a gateway drug......
Love the sound of this on vocals too - almost considered getting a mono HG15 version - its also got a preamp and nice 'air' EQ.
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Nut

In the plugin for the Audified stuff captures great tube tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKqZg00Vsg&t=152s

When out of the box I dig the Chandler Little Devil - crazy awesome color
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Love the sound of this on vocals too - almost considered getting a mono HG15 version - its also got a preamp and nice 'air' EQ.
The HG15 is excellent.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
You're not a vocalist I take it.

From my perspective as a singer, singing into a colourful tracking comp like a Retro STA level is just a fantastic experience, it kinda slows the signal down a touch and I form these beautiful phrases - it's like a little updraft beneath a gliders wings.

I always like to sing with headphones because I treat my choice of mic/pre/compressor like an instrument to be played and interact with.

It's funny but on forums I notice engineers always wanting clean to maximise options later and performers wanting to hear FX and colour so they can interact with those FX or colour.

It reminds me why I started self engineering :-)
Well put. Getting a good take requires a context of how things will sound when finished.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

BG2 or BG1
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Indeed... the BG2 is just a monster on almost anything you throw at it... (vocals, bass, in particular). I'm absolutely loving it with a ZOD, MPEQ1 into BG2 for amazing direct clean guitars the past few days.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Nut

What is the difference between the BG1 and BG2?
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
What is the difference between the BG1 and BG2?
From what I could tell, the BG1 was the first iteration of what is now the BG2.
He's coming out with a stereo unit, which will be called the BG1.

I think.
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

I have a pair of BG3s which are before the BG2.
Different output tubes.
Great sound another flavor of Bryce’s recipe for tube compression.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

I've just shot out a BG2 against the RS124 for vocals. I loved both of them but then they are pretty similar!

The RS is just super thick and smooth, but it does need that hold feature as it can miss plosive's and hard attacks on the beginning of phrases. It also needs the Superfuse mode because occasionally it is so smooth that the performance can have a bit of excitement taken out it. When it's working it just sounds sublime.

The BG2 can grab a little better than the RS, has a bit more top end and is a bit livelier / clearer - you particularly notice this on fast bass parts. Adds up to it sounding slightly more middley in comparison. In British mode the BG2 can do the Superfuse thing almost identically to the RS.

In summary I think the BG2 is a bit more versatile and would be great for tracking with. I went with the RS though because I was just looking for that vocal sound.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

BG2 over the RS124 is easy.
I shot out properly modded 436s the lisson grove the RS124 and the BG3’s and I went with the BGs.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

1176 rev A into LA2A
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I didn’t want to love it but I just do... in all the years with so many different compressors and limiters I’ve found the BG2Plus to be my favorite...and that’s saying a lot in my world.

American mode for tracking, British mode for two buss work or mastering.
Attached Thumbnails
really colourful character compressor for vocals?-df710670-e339-49d6-900e-a6207967716b.jpg   really colourful character compressor for vocals?-149cf24e-a50a-432a-aabf-46be57b88b73.jpg   really colourful character compressor for vocals?-53b3d68a-8400-4b92-9bce-fb71f5a505c5.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I didn’t want to love it but I just do... in all the years with so many different compressors and limiters I’ve found the BG2Plus to be my favorite...and that’s saying a lot in my world.

American mode for tracking, British mode for two buss work or mastering.
Saw your posts on this 3 BG2 combo unit some time ago (when it was being built and when you took delivery - looks very cool), but I never understood why you want 3 matched compressors? How do you use these three simultaneously? Are you simply using them to track (like maybe two vocals and a guitar) or are you doing something clever like Left, Mid and Right or something? Can all three be linked?

...Really curious / trying to learn.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Saw you posts on this 3 BG2 combo unit some time ago (when it was being built and when you took delivery - looks very cool), but I never understood why you want 3 matched compressors? How do you use these three simultaneously? Are you simply using them to track (like maybe two vocals and a guitar) or are you doing something clever like Left, Mid and Right or something? Can all three be linked?

...Really curious / trying to learn.
Hi Doug,

All three channels can be linked or any configuration of two. Right now I’m using channel one for tracking and channel two and three for mixing and mastering.

That said Bryce built the unit for me to sit in between my 12x3 Langevin tube console and my Presto 850 3 track recorder where it will handle limiting duties feeding the tape machine. Just like they did it back in the late 50’s and 60’s.
Attached Thumbnails
really colourful character compressor for vocals?-75c9e89b-d383-4b44-97ee-8c26ce768790.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hi Doug,

All three channels can be linked or any configuration of two. Right now I’m using channel one for tracking and channel two and three for mixing and mastering.

That said Bryce built the unit for me to sit in between my 12x3 Langevin tube console and my Presto 850 3 track recorder where it will handle limiting duties feeding the tape machine. Just like they did it back in the late 50’s and 60’s.
OK, got it. Makes sense. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search